Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you take clothes?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:45 am
If someone said to you:

I have a bunch of clothes I'm no longer wearing. They're in a good condition and you are welcome to go through them and take what you like because I want to give them away.

Would you go through the clothes and take what you like?
Would you decline?
Would it make a difference who made the offer?

As for myself, I think I would only take from my mother.

mom13

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:48 am
or my sister!

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:50 am
I would and I have. It's fun to get new clothes, especially ones that are free! Very Happy

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:51 am
Perhaps I'd feel very differently if I were in a dire financial situation, but wearing someone else's clothes weirds me out. Yes, I know they can be laundered, but there is just still something about it that would make me feel strange. (From my own mother, or a sister if I had one, that would be okay).

red sea

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:52 am
I would, as long as the person dresses like or better than I. I tend to be practical & it saves shopping (not my favorite way to spend time).

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:56 am
red sea, one thing I like about getting clothes from others is that it gives me a chance to try styles I wouldn't normally choose in the stores. However, in the end I guess I do just wear the clothes that are like the ones I already have.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:56 am
Y E S !!!!!

gigi

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:59 am
sure, I'd consider it a great blessing from hashem. I hate shopping. Smile

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:00 pm
If they are nice designer clothes...

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:00 pm
Yes, why not, if they're in good condition. It's all in the words in how it's asked.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:09 pm
Quote:
Would it make a difference who made the offer?

Definitely so. Only someone very close, has similar taste to me, and keeps clothing well maintained.

cassandra

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:12 pm
I have taken clothes from my mother and sisters, though with my mother it's usually new stuff as she is the kind of person who literally gives you the shirt off her back.

Rivky

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:14 pm
Depends from whom. My mom or sister or close friend who I know...Just anyone? Probably not.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:25 pm
I would take if I like the clothes and they're clean and new looking.

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:49 pm
Depends on who, but probably YES!

I just had a dress given to me by my husbands aunt.. it looks fab on me and its funny, being thats shes like 50+ , but she has a really young funky style. Very Happy

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 1:20 pm
Are you kidding? I'd jump on the bag of clothes with both feet!

I have several friends with whom I "share" clothes. Everyone understands that once a garment is passed along, it's fair game to be passed along to someone else, altered in some way, or buried in the backyard. We do this for our teenagers, too, and everyone loves getting a "goody bag". Sometimes there will be wonderful things; other times, maybe one or two useful items.

supermom

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 1:46 pm
Fox wrote:
Are you kidding? I'd jump on the bag of clothes with both feet!.

I am the same way.

GetReal

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 4:30 pm
I would, and I have Smile

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 4:36 pm
Are you offering? If I was nearby I would come and take a look.

While my friends and I do this all the time I could imagine that if someone you are not close to asked in a condescending way that it could be insulting or hurtful. Most of the time though I think people just don't want to throw out good clothes.

mumoo

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 4:41 pm
its a way of life by us. I take donations on my front porch (for a children's gmach)- sometimes can't even get in the door- my children have different levels of pickiness, but everybody gets. We process such an incredible volume of stuff b"H, that what we take doesn't make even a dent in the volume-children's, women,s toys, household etc...

to those who are squeamish about wearing used (laundered) clothes: do you stay in a hotel? Do you think they buy new sheets for you? Do you think they even wash the spreads?

Puke
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics