Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How are the Bodies of Jews Different?
Previous  1  2  3  4

chen

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 8:56 am
JRKmommy wrote:

it is the Jewish SOUL which is unique. While certain genes may be more common due to the smaller size of the gene pool, there is no magic gene that makes one Jewish. The body is merely the shell which contains the soul.

Quite right. especially when you consider the genetic mixing, over time, due to giyur, intermarriage, and attacks upon women as a result of warfare and pogroms.

None of which negates the very interesting issue of the "kehunoh gene".

Speaking of which, I find it entertaining that the Hawaiian term for "the guy in charge" is "the big kahuna". Gives me a great idea for a purim Torah. (I get dibs on the idea. For a nominal fee you may use the idea for your own Purim Torah, provided you give credit to the source and sign a disclosure agreement. Have your lawyer speak to my lawyer. All rights reserved. Copyright 2007. Nothing in this statement shall be construed to limit the rights and privileges of the originator under any intellectual property laws, including but not limited to city, state, national, international, interplanetary or galactic. This product is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any condition. These statements have not been evaluated by the Federal Food and Drug Administration. Very Happy )

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 9:03 am
JRKmommy wrote:

To get back to the original idea - it is the Jewish SOUL which is unique. While certain genes may be more common due to the smaller size of the gene pool, there is no magic gene that makes one Jewish. The body is merely the shell which contains the soul.

That is what I have always learned; it is our soul that makes us special.

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 5:18 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
To get back to the original idea - it is the Jewish SOUL which is unique...The body is merely the shell which contains the soul.

Did you read my posts? How do you understand the sources I quoted?

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 5:38 pm
Motek: I haven't looked up the sources you mentioned, but I'd assume that:

1. To a certain extent, of course, you are what you eat - but I'd see any physical connection as merely reflecting that the food is spiritually appropriate. I don't want to get close to the "Jews kept kosher for health reasons" fallacy that gets perpetrated in some liberal Jewish circles. Kashrus is a hok that we keep for spiritual purposes.

2. Re pulse and illumination of Shabbos: Someone in a relaxed and joyful mood will come across differently than someone who is overworked and depressed. I don't think that means that our bodies are different per se, but that our souls respond to the fact that it is Shabbos, and that this joy is manifested physically.

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:04 pm
How about my post on the top of this page (p. 3)?

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:01 am
Again, if a body is the shell which houses a precious Jewish neshama, it would be precious too, right? That doesn't mean that the body itself is different.

Motek

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:11 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
Again, if a body is the shell which houses a precious Jewish neshama, it would be precious too, right? That doesn't mean that the body itself is different.

The halacha is that before washing negel vasser in the morning, you are not supposed to touch orifices of your body or any food or drink so as not to touch it with hands that are tamei. What about a non-Jew? The halacha is that the ruach tuma only rests on something holy where a measure of holiness has departed. When Jews sleep and their holy neshama departs somewhat from their bodies, the ruach ha'tuma rests on the body. When the neshama returns, the ruach ha'tuma departs from the body and only remains on the hands. This does not pertain to a [gentile].

freidasima

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 6:59 am
This thread is fascinating because it completes certain things I learned in the past. Remember I am not Lubavitch although I have tremendous respect for it and for the Rebbe and the various Lubavitch teachings...

What I remember learning was that the Jewish body becomes different because of a physical difference, bris milah. It makes a Jewish man holy and he carries the mark of Hashem on his body always. As for a Jewish woman, she is born of a Jewish man and that makes her body holy as well. When she keeps various mitzvos such as TH, that, too, makes her body holy. But only men have the holy stamp on them. We also learned that ALL of woman is more holy in general and thus they don't need the physical stamp to connect them to Hashem.

But we also learned that the "difference" of the Jewish body wasn't a privilege but a tremendous responsibility. To live a certain life, to be an example. And to take tremendous care of that body. I don't know about the madregah of the Steipeler which I can only dream of, but the little I know of the Rambam was that he was also a doctor who used real medicines and treated with them.

I have been taught that venishmartem meod lenafshoseichem means that you have a responsibility to physically take care of your bodies as well as your souls. Not to do harmful things. To keep fit. To eat right (ach Freidasima...after what you just had for lunch?! Shame!) and if necessary to check out things that could be a problem to try and make them right.

I also learned that if you are sick for more than three days a person should "lifashpesh bima'asuv" to see what he did, physically or spiritually, to deserve this. This can also include a life of stress, not enough enjoyment and many other things we don't think of.

Yes the Jewish body is different, is holy as we have the stamp of Hashem on us. And the responsibility that comes with it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics