Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shabbos Reading

Teacup9

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 4:32 am
DH and I go to the library regularly and every time I read ten books or so I write up some reviews. During the last one it occurred to me that I am reading way to many novels and not enough on Torah. So (without a vow) I decided to read the parsha in Ma'em Lo'ez each week, but we're not in Bresheis right now....so I had a hard time committing to that. Then I tired The Midrash Says, but I've read them before and I guess I've read them too recently because I couldn't get into rereading them. I'm not sure why I even tried to get into Halacha of Kashrus (which DH bought me to replace my Kosher Kitchen which disappeared).

That was a lot of babble just to ask you ladies for Shabbos book recommendations. I really like to learn new things and to think and I adore a great writer. I am not so big on inspiring stories. I am a fan of good footnotes...(I'm the only one aren't I?)

Bonus points if the book is available at the library, because my husband doesn't let me go to the sefarim store without him and we can't leave without spending a zillion dollars.

And one more question. Am I the only woman who seems to have lost all my concentration skills when I got pregnant? I use to be able to read school books and history books and Halacha books or other non fiction pretty well. Now I get so distracted and can't read one sentence without daydreaming on the way to the next unless it is a novel. My baby is kh almost nine months and I still don't feel like I got my brain back.

Starhavah

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:50 am
Teacup9 wrote:
During the last one it occurred to me that I am reading way to many novels and not enough on Torah. So (without a vow) I decided to read the parsha in Ma'em Lo'ez each week, but we're not in Bresheis right now....so I had a hard time committing to that.

Dvarim starts in 2 weeks. Maybe that will be easier.

Teacup9 wrote:
Then I tired The Midrash Says, but I've read them before and I guess I've read them too recently because I couldn't get into rereading them. I'm not sure why I even tried to get into Halacha of Kashrus (which DH bought me to replace my Kosher Kitchen which disappeared).

I find it easier to learn halacha with someone, like DH or a chevruta than on my own. Maybe try that.

Teacup9 wrote:
That was a lot of babble just to ask you ladies for Shabbos book recommendations.

Nope, it gave us context. Made it easier to make recommendations.

Teacup9 wrote:
I really like to learn new things and to think and I adore a great writer. I am not so big on inspiring stories. I am a fan of good footnotes...(I'm the only one aren't I?)

No, you are not the only one. I think Feldeim and Aaronson write their books for people without a GED. I have been to graduate school. We need more intelligent kosher books out there.

Teacup9 wrote:
Bonus points if the book is available at the library, because my husband doesn't let me go to the sefarim store without him and we can't leave without spending a zillion dollars.

Ha Ha Ha LOL LOL LOL

that sounds familiar.

Teacup9 wrote:
And one more question. Am I the only woman who seems to have lost all my concentration skills when I got pregnant? I use to be able to read school books and history books and Halacha books or other non fiction pretty well. Now I get so distracted and can't read one sentence without daydreaming on the way to the next unless it is a novel. My baby is kh almost nine months and I still don't feel like I got my brain back.

Nope we are all like that. Pregnancy brain lasts for years!! DH and I had to get a rice cooker because I kept forgetting rice on the stove and almost burnt down the house C"S a couple of times.

Sorry I can't really recommend books for you. Our reading tastes are too different. Personally, right now I am into the _Jewish Press_ so I am not getting any book reading time in.

Star Havah

Teacup9

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 12:39 pm
Thanks Star Havah! I loved your response. I could use a rice cooker too, but can't sacrifice the counter space.

soulful music

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 12:43 pm
I love the book by Sender Zeyv "Ten Lost" it has footnotes..... Smile

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 5:12 pm
maybe you would prefer the kind of book that offers a more in depth dvar torah for each parsha over something that gives details on each part of the parsha. I know now that I have less time I prefer those kinds of books.

I also second the elarning partner idea.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 6:23 pm
I enjoyed aryeh kaplans books. Also I really enjoy reading books on jewish medical ethics and similar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room