Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What was the most significant day of your life?
1  2  Next

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 9:39 am
The other day, when I was reading a magazine, there was a contest announced for an essay on the "most significant day of your life". The suggestions that this innane magazine gave were "was it the day your daughter graduated from high school?" or something like that. But it got me thinking and I asked dh about it. His answer was not what I thought at all...

And he asked me if I was going to start a thread on Imamother about it.
So I am!

Here's mine. The day I saw dh for the first time. A colleague at work introducted us, he was sure that we had met before, having both been Americans from the greater NY area, having both made Aliya the same year, a few days apart. But we had never met until then. He had heard my name from someone. I had never heard his. After five sentences I knew I wanted to marry him. That was definitely the most significant day of my life.

I asked a friend today at work and this is what he said. When he was a teenage he had to have a serious operation. He told me that when he woke up after it and was alive, that was the most significant day of his life (he is married with children today) because it meant that he would HAVE a life.

What was yours?

Imawoman

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:45 am
For now I would say that the most significant day of my life was my wedding, but I think that may change after I give birth to my first child! Smile

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:53 am
I would say the day I gave birth since it was such a neis that we are all B"H healthy

tovarena

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:59 am
In respects to single days of my life that were completely life-altering, I'd have to say I have two.

On the fantastic side, of course the day that I gave birth to my two incredible brachas. Aside from the excitement surrounding the day, going to the hospital, knowing we'd have these incredible little babies afterwards, it certainly changed my life and my priorities in life. The other day, I happened to mention to my mom that I am literally walking around with holes in my tennis shoes because I won't spend the money on new ones - though if the babies needed something I'd get it for them in a heartbeat. She laughed and welcomed me to motherhood.

On the other side - 9/11. I don't even live in NY, but the fallout from this single event caused my employer to shut its doors less than two weeks later. The job loss had such a downward spiral effect, that even now, I still find myself dealing with many lingering effects.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:59 am
I guess it was the day I was born, but I don't remember too much about it.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 12:31 pm
I think I would say that it was the day that I met my husband. I had no clue that mylife would drastically change after that meeting. And I see the hashgacha in why I married him.

And the second day wold bethe day that I realized that the only thing I wanted to do was to serve Hashem with my whole life. It was the realization that the way I was living was nothing but fake and I got out of abusive relationships that day and everyday try to remember that day.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 12:32 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I guess it was the day I was born, but I don't remember too much about it.
That would be mine, too. I mean the day I was born, not the day Tamiri was born. Although that was quite special to me, as well.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 1:54 pm
The day I was born. If not for that then all these things wouldn't happen to me.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:05 pm
We are taught טוב שם טוב משמן טוב ויום המוות מיום הוולדו meaning a good name is better than good oil (having lots of money) and the day of death is better than the day you are born. However, I can't comment on that so I wrote the day I was born. I am glad it held great significance for you Clarissa; it was kind of you to note that.

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:08 pm
significant meaning happiest day or just any day that stands out in ur memory?

I think that 75% of the pple here are going to write wedding or engagement %25 will write the birth of a child 25% will be original.

I think this would be a better question-What was your saddest most nightmarish day in your life that u shudder just thinking about it?

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:11 pm
Tamiri wrote:
We are taught טוב שם טוב משמן טוב ויום המוות מיום הוולדו meaning a good name is better than good oil (having lots of money) and the day of death is better than the day you are born. However, I can't comment on that so I wrote the day I was born. I am glad it held great significance for you Clarissa; it was kind of you to note that.
I'm interested in that quote. I understand the good name is more important than money (although I'd consider taking a mediocre name for a little more cash), but what about that other part? Is it because the day you die, you leave a mark on the world, but the day you're born you're still brand new and haven't done anything for anybody?

Tehilla

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:16 pm
Mollys Mama wrote:
I think this would be a better question-What was your saddest most nightmarish day in your life that u shudder just thinking about it?

but isn't there enough suffering already in this golus, isn't it much nicer to focus on the nice and good--even if 75% of women answer the same?

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:20 pm
The day a person is born, the future is uncertain we don't know how he'll turn out. Bais Hillel and Bais Shammai discussed it and came to the conclusion that it would have been better not to be born and not have the opportunitty to sin. But once a person is born let him do teshuva and maasim tovim.
But when a person dies we know what the end result was. If he fulfilled his purpose in life (did torah and mitvos etc) it was worthwile, and now he can't mess up anymore, so therefore the day of death is better for him than the day of birth.

Thats how I have heard (or read) it explained.

Last edited by Aidelmom on Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:33 pm
The day I met my husband and looked into those eyes..... THAT was the turning point in MY life.

eshes chayil

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 4:20 pm
each and every day that I wake up and my dh and wonderful children wake up healthy!

chaimsmom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 1:30 pm
January 27, 2006. The day my husband was diagnosed with cancer. My world hasn't been the same since.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 1:38 pm
hm ... I once started a thread ... I guess I should look for it ...

zissy2004

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:41 pm
happiest day of my life

when my twins were born after a long journey.

saddest day of my life

when Hashem took one of my twins back

but bh for all the blessings in my life!!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 7:11 pm
My saddest, most shocking day was the day I found out that my Ex-Husband suffers from Bipolar. I found out a few weeks after my wedding. What a Shocker !!! shock shock shock I was frozen in shock for a couple of days!!!

And hopefully, my very happy day has yet to come I'yh, when I find my bashert and start living a life and building a beautiful home!!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 11:16 am
bump?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics