Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How does ritalin change personality?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 4:51 am
To those who have observed someone on Ritalin (even yourself), what changes have you seen in personality? Someone said something in another thread about Ritalin numbing a part of their personality? What would that mean? Thanks.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 5:00 am
I have a brother on ritalin and it took away his personality - he seems so much more dull.. not the lebidick boy he used to be... maybe that was the point but I feel like it's not the real him.

PIP

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 4:08 pm
My brother was on aderall (sp?). It turned him into a zombie. After he got married, his wife made him get off of it. He's a changed person.

gryp

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 7:54 pm
It makes one subdued, basically.

I know a teacher who's had to beg parents to take their children off their meds for just a little while since they were unable to accomplish in class while medicated into being subdued zombies, and the teacher wanted to see how much more they could participate in class when off the meds with their own personalities coming through.

soldat

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 8:17 pm
I had a student who while on ritalin was a zompie, and off was impossible to teach. his parents changed meds (I'm not sure which one) and it was perfect

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 8:39 am
I've also seen kids who have become zombies on Ritalin. The most extreme case was a camper of mine whose parents didn't want the camp to know she was on medication so they overdosed her and then sent her up to camp. We (counselors and camp staff) thought she was definitely on the autistic spectrum.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 8:58 am
I was on ritalin for about 6 months in 7th grade and then the doc realized that they made a BIIIIIIIG mistake andthat I just needed more help in my studies.

I agree that it numbed my personality. it was terrible. the meds made me not be able to laugh at all. I remember sitting in a class with a few other girls and something funny was said and I knew that I wanted to laugh but I was not able to. it also made sleeping more difficult.

BH the doc took me off of it before something terrible happened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics