Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Sweet salads for Rosh Hashana
1  2  Next

bubby

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:36 pm
In my family we like the more spicy/pickly things to go with the fish course. Can anyone suggest some sweet salads? I avoid using vinegar, pickles, lemon juice etc & therefore my repetoire is very tiny & boring.

I know it's early but I need to prepare ideas & menus in advance.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:39 pm
You guys are FREAKING ME OUT.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:39 pm
Clarissa wrote:
You guys are FREAKING ME OUT.

me too but I'll bet for a different reason.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:43 pm
Care to elaborate?

bubby

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:44 pm
Listen, I may sound like supermommy/bubby, but I AM SOOOOOOO DISORGANIZED shock

Ask DD's, they'll tell you! So my New Year's Resolution is to bring in YT like a mentsch & enjoy it!

dora

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:55 pm
ok, this is too much even for me, I'm very orgenized, but Rosh Hashana? please. I will admit to buying some roasts that were on sale intending to using it for y"t.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:59 pm
Because of the loonies here, I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I asked my son if he'd like to do some baking this week with me, for RH. He said, "What? This far in advance?" He thought I'd lost my marbles. I hold you women responsible.

Read this board! The husbands here smell bad. One even has a smelly nose. Stop concentrating on meal planning and start figuring out what to do with your stinky men.

I might be a tad defensive about this organizing thing, eh?

bubby

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:19 pm
Sorry, Clarissa, I don't see the connection between stinky DH's & YT meals Confused

Meanwhile, I have a genuine problem & I'm stuck!Crying You don't have to agree with my "organization"...just give me some recipes already!! Rolling Eyes Banging head

Thank you!! Smile

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:22 pm
Okay, okay. I was just playing around, because of the stinky husband posts. I understand you want recipes, and I'd be happy to help. What kind of salads do you mean? Can you narrow it down a bit?

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:24 pm
Okay, just reread your original post. Does the salad have to be something that would have to go with the fish, meaning accompany it on the plate? For instance, would a salad that has, in its components, orange segments and citrus juices go? Or would you like some sort of salsa, to serve with the fish? I make fruit salsas and make a ton, so it goes on the fish but is also a side dish.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:31 pm
waldorf salad without the nuts?
carrot/raisin salad?
spinach leaf/mango/red onion/avocado salad with sweet dressing?

(forgive me if I've listed anything we don't use. you'd think after this many years of observing Yom Tov, I'd remember. but every single year it's like my memory of what I did the year before is erased and I have to 'study up' all over again. it's kind of embarrassing.)

bubby

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:43 pm
I should yell more often, you sat up & took notice!! Thanks!!

Truthfully, anything/everything sounds nice but yes, I need them for the fish course, to go on the plate. My problem is I usually serve so many (one Shabbos I counted 9!!) that no one wants the next 5 courses (wanna see those ideas Twisted Evil ?) But I'm generally useless at salads & sides, they're always boring (not so great at the other stuff either, but my chicken soup & chopped live are AMAZING!!)

Once upon a time in a land far away & a time long ago I was a gourmet cook. That was BC (Before Children) LOL

A sweet salsa sounds very interesting. I thought of Waldorf sans nuts (except the ones who sit around the table!) but I don't think that would go down well.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:44 pm
Check out the tuna thread. I posted a recipe for mango salsa (not amounts, but ingredients, as I just improvise) that goes really well with poached, baked or grilled fish. You can be really creative with it.

bubby

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:55 pm
Can you be more specific where your Salsa recipe is? I looked under Fish in recipes but didn't see it.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:11 pm
Here it is. As I said, I don't give amounts, because I just chop things up and mix them together:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:16 pm
Thanks, Clarissa, I might try it for dinner one day, if I can find the ingredients.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:55 pm
Well at least this is better than the thread started last week about what to make for Purim (I am not joking - go check out the Purim forum if you don't believe me).

Can you freeze sweet salads? Rolling Eyes

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:57 pm
I saw that Purim thread. Someone needed to fetch ma smellin' salts, ah felt so faint!

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:59 pm
freak out ... duh duh duh duh da da da da ... Music

please tell me it is not tomorrow shock and if it is bubby - expect me as a guest ... What

pinktichel

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 4:07 pm
* spinach, strawberry, mango salad
* sweet cole slaw with craisins
* angel hair pasta salad
* avocado, mango and p. onion
* romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, p. onion, craisin salad

This is all from the top of my head...I'm sure I have more.... when I get my cookbooks back I can add more to the list.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus