Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Looking for really good potato kugel recipe
1  2  3  4  Next

HealthCoach

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:05 pm
I'm looking to improve my potato kugel without trying 10 million recipes. Anyone have one that's really good?

yitta25

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:13 pm
Just heard this one from my neighbor this week.

9 large idaho potatoes
9 eggs
1 small onion
10 oz oil
10 oz water
salt
pepper

Process potatoes. Add rest of ingredients. Bake on 450 for an hour, then on 350 for 1.5 hours. You can also pour 3/4 cup water on top when its done and lower oven to 200 and leave it overnight.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:18 pm
I don't have an exact recipe however do about 7 potatoes to 5 eggs. salt/pepper/oil. no onions.

I find that the trick to a really good potato kugel is how long it is baked. I try to put it in the oven by 1pm on the long Friday's. It goes into a preheated really hot oven (like 450) until the top is brown. Then I cover the kugel w/ aluminum foil and turn the heat down to 300 or so and let it bake another few hours (a minimum of another 2 hours but usually almost until the zman. If someone eats from it it goes back to the oven after they've cut a slice)

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:18 pm
I just made one friday and it came up yummy-

5 pounds potatoes
10 eggs
salt
black pepper
one small onion
1 c oil

Put parchment paper in the pan and then the oil. Put in oven on 350. Meanwhile grate the potatoes and onion. Put in bowl and add the spices. Then take out the oil and mix in the bowl, add the eggs and mix well. Bake on 400 for an hour and 350 another hour. When done, take out and cover with towel to keep miost. It's so tasty and delicious.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:22 pm
The most important thing I find in making a good, mushy potato kugel is the proper food processer. I tried to be an ober chacham and buy online a cheaper food processor when I got married. My dh, who loves potato kugel didn't want to hurt my feelings but it just didn't get the kugel the right texture, neither does my parents' old braun. I got a new braun for under $100 and it's great, worth every penny.

Now to the recipe. It is not exact, but the idea is there.

Any amount of any type of potatoes. I usually do a mix of brown and red or yellow.

3/4 the amount of potatoes for the eggs. For instance if I put in 10 medium size potatoes I would put about 7 eggs.

Oil is subjective, put in a nice amount, whatever you feel like and depends on how many potatoes you are using

salt and pepper to taste

boiling water from perculater, doesn't need too much, about the same amount as oil.

bake at about 400 degrees or 425 until brown, about 1 1-/2 to 2 hrs. Then cover very tightly with double silver foil and turn temp to 200, overnight. I make this thursday night and leave in the oven till Shabbos, just taking it out to take from it, and then putting it back in tightly covered. Early friday afternoon I cut a large piece and put in a silver foil to put into the chulent.

Sorry it's not more exact. My friends tell me all the time to write a cookbook because I have such easy recipes that I've accumulated or made up, but it is too hard to explain for me. I need to show and cooking to me is an art, it is not exact.

Good Luck!!

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:24 pm
wow, you guys must really like eggy kugel! ours tastes more like potato:

5 lbs. potatoes
5 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/4 c. water
1 T. salt
dash of black pepper
1 onion OR dash of onion powder

grate potatoes, mix e/t else in. bake on 400 for 1.5 hours, then lower to 350 for another hour. OR bake on 400 for 1.5 hours, then cover and bake on 200 overnite.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:24 pm
Two more things I forgot. I also grate in a small onion for a large mixture or half for a small mixture. Plus I beat the eggs before I put them into the potato mixture, it makes it fluffier.

potatoes and onions, then eggs, then spices, then oil, then hot water. mix well before hot water, and again after. I also tried this recipe with or without parchment paper and dh likes it better without.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:27 pm
Twizzlers, you're right. I used to make a more potatoey (is that a word?) kugel with a 2:1 ratio of 2 potatoes for every egg but dh and I love the mushy taste and it comes out mushier with more eggs.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:30 pm
Btw, I did a ton of experimentation with all types of overnight kugels because dh is a huge fan. I never even made overnight kugel before we got married (six months ago). After much failure, this, I found to be no fail. It is delicious every time, except the salt is always a toss up, but it usually works out.

shoppingmom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:31 pm
I find that the potato kugel has the best texture when you put in one less egg than potatoes. For example if you put in 5 potatoes use 4 eggs! Also the secret to a good potato kugel is to use a lot of oil (no time to cut calories). For a really special potato kugel put flanken on the bottom of the pan, then pour the kugel mixture and bake as usual. It tastes heaven!

DREAMING

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:50 pm
I grate the potatoes by hand.

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:59 pm
wow, you ppl put a ton of eggs and oil into your kugels!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:00 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
wow, you ppl put a ton of eggs and oil into your kugels!

That's what makes a kugal a kugal! It's not baked potatoes, it's more then that.

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:01 pm
I use 3 eggs and 3 tbspn oil.
And it comes out just fine.
and I sneak in a tbspn of wheat germ to sneak some folic acid in. But shhhhhh...don't tell anyone that!

ShiningThrough

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 4:36 pm
Okay, it's the '1 small onion' part of the recipe that I have to take issue with. For a GREAT potato kugel, whatever recipe you use, cut up and fry till mamish brown a LOT of onions. That's where the flavor is.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:04 pm
If you fry the onions, then you feel it in pieces when you bite into the kugel. Shouldn't great potato kugel be mushy? It sounds like it would add a ton of flavor, but what about texture?

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:01 pm
hmmmmm....maybe you can chop the onions fine, and then sautee it like that, AND THEN mix it into the potato kugel.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:08 pm
the trick a friend taught me is to heat the oil before adding the kugel mix in - I live by this tule, before I even begin with the potatoes, I pour the oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan you are using) and place the pan in the oven at 450. then
I make my batter (which contains no added oil), then remove teh pan from the oven and carefully pour the mix in - and return quickly to the oven. This gives a crispy botton and sides as well as top - then I do like others and bake at 450 unil the top is brown, cover and continue to bake at either 300 or 275 until I remember to take it out!

For those interested, my recipe is egg free and tastes kind of like a really big,crispy latke!

for every 2-3 potatoes, 1 med sized onion (about what you can comfortably fit into the palm of your hand, but not fully close your fingers around). I hand grate the potato and put the onions through the processor to puree (better onion flavor distribution) and 1/8 tsp. salt and as much pepper as you like.

mix all together then pour into hot pan - my kids love it and so do many traditional kugel eaters (although dh really likes it when I save som ebatter and add an egg or two for him in a seperate kugel!)

Another helpful hint a friend gave me for getting those sterling white kugels is to add 1" peeled, pureed (or very thinly grated) zucchini. Something in the chemicle make up blanches the potatoes stark white and it does not affect the taste or conisitancy. It's about 1" for every 6-8 potatoes

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:54 pm
who needs a recipe ... a little bit of this ... a little bit of that ... just make sure to send me a piece Drunken Smile

soldat

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:44 pm
here is a recipe for a mashed potato kugel/doughless potato knish - warning! loads of fat

8 potatoes - peeled, boiled, and mashed w/ 6oz. margerine
4 onions sliced and sauteed in plenty of oil

mix potatoes and onions, and add
4 eggs
2 c. flour
salt and pepper

put into greased 9x13 or roll into balls.
brush w/ beaten egg
sprinkel w/ sesame seeds

bake

this tastes great cold
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes