Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Looking for really good potato kugel recipe
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shoppingmom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:07 pm
soldat wrote:
here is a recipe for a mashed potato kugel/doughless potato knish - warning! loads of fat

this tastes great cold

I like to serve this warm with Mushroom Sauce on top!!

shoppingmom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:10 pm
montrealmommy wrote:

Another helpful hint a friend gave me for getting those sterling white kugels is to add 1" peeled, pureed (or very thinly grated) zucchini. Something in the chemicle make up blanches the potatoes stark white and it does not affect the taste or conisitancy. It's about 1" for every 6-8 potatoes

I put in a tiny drop of Vitiman C Powder for a whiter kugel. It could be found at your local Health Food Store.

soldat

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:11 pm
shoppingmom wrote:
soldat wrote:
here is a recipe for a mashed potato kugel/doughless potato knish - warning! loads of fat

this tastes great cold

mmm... more fat

shoppingmom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:13 pm
soldat wrote:
shoppingmom wrote:
soldat wrote:

this tastes great cold

mmm... more fat

Yeah, if I do something fatty I do it all the way! Smile

anonymom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:30 pm
Quote:
Sorry it's not more exact. My friends tell me all the time to write a cookbook because I have such easy recipes that I've accumulated or made up, but it is too hard to explain for me. I need to show and cooking to me is an art, it is not exact.

That was my first thought when seeing this thread. Potato Kugel is an art, not a science.

It was interesting to read all your recipes. Good to know plenty of people still make home-made kugel.

I used to actually drain the water after grating, but then I found it was better not to, but I never heard of adding water. Does it allow you to cook it over-night without drying out?

I am so hungry for some hot, fresh "mushy" kugel. Thanks you-all.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 10:56 am
Adding the hot water does keep it from drying out overnight. But there is one other motivation as well. I used to heat up the oil in the pans in the oven and add it to the mixture (when I was single) but a teacher told me that it is not a good idea because when you have kids the burns that could come about accidentily is just scary. So as soon as I got married, I got this recipe from my mil and switched for when iy"H the time comes when little kids are crawling on the kitchen floor.

EsaEinai

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 11:00 am
shoppingmom wrote:
soldat wrote:

this tastes great cold

how do you make your mushroom sauce?

ima2girls

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:56 pm
[b]Here is another good recipe to try:

10 Big Idaho Potatoes peeled
9 Eggs
1 1/4 cups oil
1 flat tbsp. salt
black pepper
white pepper
a drop of seltzer (it gives the kugel a fluffy texture)
a drop of boiling water

Preheat the oven on 400

in the food processor put in eggs, oil, salt and pepper and mix well. then pour into a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. (meanwhile make sure to boil up some water)

switch to the kugel blade for the potatos (most braun food processors have it... its the blade with the small holes- it gives the kugel this creamy taste) quickly process all potatos and add to egg mixture. Mix it well by hand, and then simultaneously add a little "fresh" seltzer and boiling water and mix well again. (the trick is to work fast so the potatos dont turn brown).

Put in the oven for 2 hours and enjoy (temperature should be 400)

I usually do it overnight. So after two hours cover the kugel with silver foil, and place a 9x13 pan with water on the lower rack of the oven. I turn the temperature down on 250. When I wake up friday morning, the whole house smells so good!

( I hate the taste of onions in potato kugel so this recipe is without onions!)

anonymom

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:31 pm
Ladies, what do you think? I have a cheapo food processor, which I gave up on the kugel blade, so I use the shredder. How does the taste compare to a good kugel blade?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:58 pm
it depends. my father often likes the chunkier kugel like hand grated but my husband likes it very mushy. when I got married, I bought a lot of great quality kitchen supplies online, including a cuisinart food processor, which is considered a good company. it did not have a kugel blade, dh was too polite to say it but he hated the kugel and kugel is his favorite food. I went to the buzz and bought the new braun for under $100 and it was the best investment. my kugel and dh have never been the same

anonymom

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 7:46 am
Actually, I thought the S shaped blade was a kugel blade. Is the kugel blade something else? I will buy a Braun right away, but first I have a couple of ?s. Is there a particular model, or do I just ask for a Braun with a kugel blade? What else can it do? Does it have other attachments?

Can I get some more opinions on mushy/kugel blade kugel vs. shredded?

mali

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 8:00 am
whatever recipe you use, use coarse salt. it's amazing what a different it makes in potato kugel!

Mevater

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 8:56 am
mali wrote:
whatever recipe you use, use coarse salt. it's amazing what a different it makes in potato kugel!
I've been comparing notes on Potato Kugel for years and I've never heard of coarse salt being used. How is a potato Kugel with coarse salt different? Does it affect flavor, texture, etc?

Fabulous

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:18 pm
The kugel blade is technically not called that by Braun. It just means that the old Brauns (like the one my parents have) have the smallest blades that still make it shredded, albeit smaller pieces. The new Brauns, the smaller blade makes mush. If you go to the Buzz they will tell you this is the one with the Kugel blade (you don't need any special parts, it comes with the smaller blade already). In fact I put away all the other blades and just store the processor with this blade inside it because that's all I really use it for and it was still totally worth. (plus I have a tiny kitchen so I store it above my stove, hard to reach to take down and put up and only worth doing once a week.)

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:27 pm
I only use coarse salt for cooking and baking.

avimom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 9:21 pm
I love my potato kugel and it's the easiest I've ever found:

You make it in the blender, just put it all in in this order (I've used different blenders and it always comes out yummy, plus no washing all those food processor parts):

bottom part of blender covered about an inch
one large onion cut into 6 pieces
2 eggs
teaspoon of salt
7-8 shakes of pepper
potatoes, however many will fit in to the top

blend it, pour it into a 9" round (or do it twice for a 9"13) and bake at 350 until brown on top (about an hour).
Wala! Make every week- it's always finished...

mali

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:26 am
letsbehonest wrote:
mali wrote:
whatever recipe you use, use coarse salt. it's amazing what a difference it makes in potato kugel!
I've been comparing notes on Potato Kugel for years and I've never heard of coarse salt being used. How is a potato Kugel with coarse salt different? Does it affect flavor, texture, etc?
mainly texture. just try it once! (be careful not to pour too much. try putting a little less than the recipe calls for).

catonmylap

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 5:14 am
I just recently started adding the cooked kugel to the cholent pot. I make it in a small aluminum pan that fits in. Dh has never been a potato kugel fan but since I started doing that he's said, "wow, this is good potato kugel; always make it this way." My brother says my problem is that I don't follow recipes, but he acknowledged that if you add it to the kugel, it will always be good, even if it wasn't that good a kugel before.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 6:51 am
Fabulous wrote:
Oil is subjective, put in a nice amount, whatever you feel like and depends on how many potatoes you are using

boiling water from perculater, doesn't need too much, about the same amount as oil.

A nice amount of oil, yes. That's what I do. But I never put in water. Is that instead of the hot oil? I'll try it out with water next time. The same amount of water as oil is quite a bit. No?

Fabulous

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:46 am
I add hot water for two reasons.

1) safety instead of hot oil

2) moisture because I eventually turn them into overnight kugels

No, it is not too much if you are making it overnight. If not, just put in a TBS or 2.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes