Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Looking for really good potato kugel recipe
Previous  1  2  3  4

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 3:08 am
I am a very busy working mom always in need of shortcuts... I just discovered fresh pre-shredded potatoes in the refrigerator section of my market with a chof k. Then I suggest following any recipe for kugel but the mess and prep work is minimal and the kugel is great. If you buy it at Smart and Final you get a 4 pound bag for $4.00.... Not bad for no cleaning or prep work!!
DO NOT buy the Southwestern style shredded potatoes--disgusting... too many chemicals!
Stick with the plain fresh shredded potatoes!

EBC

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:36 pm
for the best potato kugel- always gets compliments:
heat 1 c. oil in the bottem of a pan
grate and grind or however you like-
5 lbs. YUKON GOLD potatoes
2 small onions
drain out excess liquid and mix in
8 eggs
1 Tbsp salt
1/4- 1/2 tsp. pepper and
heated oil
bake on 350 until top is crisp
if heating up for shabbos, heat uncovered
make abt 2 9x13 pans

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 6:36 am
MeThinks wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
My sister claims that it does depend on the quality of the potatoes. Do you use the yellow or red potatoes?

I tried them both. I think the red is a bit better. What bothers me is the dryness. I put a piece of kugel in the cholent, and it's much better. Besides my own little piece, I can't do that to an entire kugel, though. Most potato kugels here that I eat at simchos, I don't like either. Because of this, I lately started making lokshen and apple kugels.
could you post a recipe please?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Nov 08 2008, 2:55 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
MeThinks wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
My sister claims that it does depend on the quality of the potatoes. Do you use the yellow or red potatoes?

I tried them both. I think the red is a bit better. What bothers me is the dryness. I put a piece of kugel in the cholent, and it's much better. Besides my own little piece, I can't do that to an entire kugel, though. Most potato kugels here that I eat at simchos, I don't like either. Because of this, I lately started making lokshen and apple kugels.

could you post a recipe please?

I don't thinks it's the recipe the problem but the quality of the potatoes and/or how it's grated. As I said in NY I used to use Idaho potatoes but there I also grated it by hand and not as lazy as I'm now. Perhaps one day, I'll try grating it by hand again and see the difference.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Nov 08 2008, 3:54 pm
Does no one else fry their kugel? I always find baked kugels so dry.

I grate potatoes, add eggs, onion powder, salt and pepper, and put into hot oil in frying pan, like one giant latke. When the edges and bottom are crispy, flip over carefully - put a plate upside down to cover the kugel till the edges of the pan, flip, and slide back in with the raw side down, and continue frying till done.
Yum, especially when its just come out - hot and crispy with soft potatoes in the middle.

ETA - I also think this way is more dietetic - if you use a non-stick pan, you only need a few tablespoons of oil to coat the sides and bottom of the pan - no need for 3/4 - 1 cup of oil - and its still moist.

sporty

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 6:19 pm
young mommy - my mom used to fry hers and then she started baking it but I LOVED it fried. I think I want to try frying mine, I was wondering - why onion powder and not onions in yours? and also, how much onion powder, how many potatoes...etc. and what size frying pan did you use? Thanks.

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 4:53 am
sporty wrote:
young mommy - my mom used to fry hers and then she started baking it but I LOVED it fried. I think I want to try frying mine, I was wondering - why onion powder and not onions in yours? and also, how much onion powder, how many potatoes...etc. and what size frying pan did you use? Thanks.

Lol. Onion powder only cuz the my sisters don't like onions! My grandmother does it with onions, and I sometimes do too - when I'm not too lazy. I usually do about 6-8 medium potatoes, 3 eggs, 1/2-1 onion depends how much you want, some salt and pepper. I taste the liquid before frying it so I can see that it's not too bland (sounds horrible, but u get used to it Wink ) and I like it quite spicy. I use a regular size teflon frying pan, not sure how big exactly. Just make sure the oil is really hot before you put the potatoes in, otherwise it'll stick, and give the frying pan a little shake once you've got the potatoes in, just to dislodge it if it got stuck anyplace.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:47 pm
For those that make overnight potato kugels, do you leave in the oven overnight thurs night or friday night? If it's thurs night, what do you do with the kugel in the morning, and what about making other food that needs to cook at other temperatures? Does everyone have 2 ovens?

wanderer

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:58 pm
I make my overnight Thursday night and leave in on oven till Friday afternoon, about 1ish. That's when dh comes home, so that's when I take it out. I've taken it out earlier (around 8 o'clock) quite a few times and it's pretty much the same. You can always put it back later on on low to warm it up.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:59 pm
colorful! wrote:
I make my overnight Thursday night and leave in on oven till Friday afternoon, about 1ish. That's when dh comes home, so that's when I take it out. I've taken it out earlier (around 8 o'clock) quite a few times and it's pretty much the same. You can always put it back later on on low to warm it up.

same here. often I'll take out a large piece early friday morning to put in the chulent too.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 3:08 pm
If you take it out in the morning, do you put in refrigerator?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 3:12 pm
Little Engine wrote:

Usually not, it'll dry out.

wanderer

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 3:40 pm
Little Engine wrote:

No, I leave it outside covered, so it stays warm during the day. If I want to rewarm it, I pop it back on low for a few minutes, but it doesn't always need it. I put a piece in my cholent and a piece in my soup and we're all set.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 5:41 pm
Quote:
No, I leave it outside covered, so it stays warm during the day. If I want to rewarm it, I pop it back on low for a few minutes, but it doesn't always need it. I put a piece in my cholent and a piece in my soup and we're all set.

In the soup? I never heard of that. How does it taste?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 7:27 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I am a very busy working mom always in need of shortcuts... I just discovered fresh pre-shredded potatoes in the refrigerator section of my market with a chof k. Then I suggest following any recipe for kugel but the mess and prep work is minimal and the kugel is great. If you buy it at Smart and Final you get a 4 pound bag for $4.00.... Not bad for no cleaning or prep work!!
DO NOT buy the Southwestern style shredded potatoes--disgusting... too many chemicals!
Stick with the plain fresh shredded potatoes!

I would love to find this!! do u know where I can find it in Brooklyn? that would save me so much time and effort..
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes