Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How do you say - plz help

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 12:51 pm
tisha b'av to s/o who has no idea what it is? does it have an english name?

Teacup9

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:05 pm
It is simply the 9th of the Hebrew month of Av. I would say it is an inauspicious day for Jews and list the horrors that have occurred.

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:08 pm
thanks teacup but I need help wording this - I need to explain why I cant register tisha b'av and ask special request to reserve me a spot in the class anyway cuz otherwise I will get closed out, I dont really want to get into explaining it but I am not sure how to say it still. If I say its the ninth of av, they'll be like what? and its not a holiday, if I say fast day they'll be like huh? fast, slow, what r you talking about?

BlumaG

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:16 pm
ppl in the outside world know what fasting is - there are many religious christians that fast - the only diff is they do drink

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:20 pm
thanks blumag, I hope this person knows

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:34 pm
Maybe it's appropriate to say a "religious day of mourning" and include the fasting while explaining? Scratching Head

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:46 pm
I don't understand, why can't you register for a class on tisha be'av? I remember my parents having to go to work and working a full day in golus...

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:09 pm
I guess cuz I would need to be there bright & early before shacharis to get into this class & dh is my mode of transportation who should be at shul.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:01 am
Just say that you can't make it on that day for religious reasons. That it's a significant day in your religion, and that's it.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:02 am
The contracters call it a holiday. They also can't start work because the whole week is a holiday.

livalittle

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:44 am
A day of mourning (for the destruction of our temple and being exiled from the Holy Land)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette