Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need individual portion type of side dish

proud_mama

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:21 pm
I am responsible for the side dish for a family sheva brachos, it should preferably be single serve, and needs to be freezable cuz I need to make it this week for a sheva brachos thats in a a month.
Thanks everyone in advance.

sammy

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:24 pm
how about making brocoli kugel or squash kugel, but into muffin tins-this way its all in individual portions. I've found that these kugels freeze well.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:25 pm
I agree with sammy put them in muffin tins its the perfect serving size

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:26 pm
Very similar to what sammy suggested: You can buy individual torte shells (like mini quiches) and put broccoli or mushroom onion mixture. Mazel Tov!

proud_mama

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:58 pm
Thanks,
I personally dont like the small tin look on a plate with food, anything that I can make in a cupcake holder that I can peel off and freeze?

sammy

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:20 am
I dont use muffin liners either...if you make the kugels, just grease an aluminum throw a way muffin tin. once they cool, they just pop out. if you make brocoli kugels, grease each tin, and sprinkle in some cornflake crumbs to form a very thin crust on the bottom and on the sides. It will come out easier this way.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:32 am
If you make rice, make it a little sticky and when you dish it out, use a large ice cream scoop to plate it.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 3:52 am
I think that if you use silicon muffin pans, the food doesn't stick (at least that's what Tupperware advertises). You can make any individual kugels like that, or even different color ones: broccoli/zuccini for one recipe, carrot kugel for another etc. Noodle kugel (Yerushalmi) freezes beautifully.

proud_mama

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:01 am
Wow, I never thought of that, popping the kugels out of disposable cupcake tins. I was thinking of maybe broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoe kugel like that because it looks pretty with the 3 colors, one problem with the crumbs on bottome, they usually stick to the bottom of the pan, do you think it will pop out nicely, I am afraid that after all the hard work, it will flop. another concern I have, after I pop them out when cooled, and freeze them, when re-warming them before the event, will they lose their shape when warmed?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:16 am
how about making something in flaky dough, and gathering them up like beggars purses, that looks very pretty on the plate, and u can put almost anything in there!
you can make stuffed squash boats, freezes well.
you can make puff pastry swans and then scoop mashed reg. and sweet potatoes on top...

yummydd

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:52 am
Are you looking for starch or type of pie?
For a starch you can do: doughless potatoe knish in a cupcake holder
Or for a pie this is yum Strawberry rhubabarb pie in seperate cupcakes.

Ima'la

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:54 am
My cousin served baby-food carrot muffins from KBD at sheva brachos. They were delicious - and my kids (not great eaters) gobbled them up, which made me even happier!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:00 pm
proud_mama wrote:
Wow, I never thought of that, popping the kugels out of disposable cupcake tins. I was thinking of maybe broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoe kugel like that because it looks pretty with the 3 colors, one problem with the crumbs on bottome, they usually stick to the bottom of the pan, do you think it will pop out nicely, I am afraid that after all the hard work, it will flop. another concern I have, after I pop them out when cooled, and freeze them, when re-warming them before the event, will they lose their shape when warmed?

There is one way to find out: mix up a batch before the event, defrost, and see if you like the results! No point in finding out at the affair.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:04 pm
proud_mama wrote:

So freeze and reheat them in the tins then pop them out at the meal.

Also, put a round of baking parchment (NOT wax paper) in the bottom of the tin. This way the entire bottom will come out and you can peel off the paper.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:25 pm
Ima'la wrote:
My cousin served baby-food carrot muffins from KBD at sheva brachos. They were delicious - and my kids (not great eaters) gobbled them up, which made me even happier!

My friend makes these all the time and they're delicious.

Lani22

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 2:15 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Very similar to what sammy suggested: You can buy individual torte shells (like mini quiches) and put broccoli or mushroom onion mixture. Mazel Tov!

I make these all the time. Looks very nice and the mini quiche shells pop out of the alluminum tins they are in.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 2:19 pm
I'd also recommend those carrot muffins since they freeze beautifully and are delicious. You can pop them out of the pans, and sprinkle lightly with confectioners sugar before serving. The ones that I make are from KBD Kids in the Kitchen. My husband & guests love these.

proud_mama

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 3:07 pm
Thanks for all the ideas, I do know those carrot muffins, my family makes them all the time, so I would like to do something different. The beggar purse kind of thing sounds interesting. Thanks for the parchment paper idea to pop out the kugels whole, sounds like it might work. now, I have to decide between the two, either an apple type of filling in the closed dough, or a 3 color kugel in tins, I think I will try both for this shabbos, and whichever comes out nicer I will do.

karen berzon

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 3:23 pm
I make the mini muffine kugels in the silicon muffin pans and they popped out nicely. From my experience, I have found that potato and pumpkin come out nicely, but brocolli falls apart (your brocolli recipe might be different and hold together), but it's definatley worth a trial run to make sure that it holds together.

queen

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:17 pm
make the MINI cup cakes- with carrot kugel. And then place three little muffins on each plate. No cupcake holders, just spray the pan well. My silicone mini muffin pans make I think 24 muffins in each pan.

and by the way- I freeze my carrot kugel all the time, wouldn't know the difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes