Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Succah Decoration Ideas

mc'cutie

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 11:51 am
Does anyone have any ideas for Succah Decorations. I dont want to make the typical Star thing, I am looking for a different kind of idea that would look nice in our Succah.

We are planning to build one this year for the first time.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 11:56 am
What are the walls of your sukkah? I like simple. Once we had a wood sukkah, so I painted it nicely and once I put fabric swags on it and then just put whatever decorations I can find under it, nicely.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:02 pm
I like wood walls- most versatile.

how abt one of those sequin decorations. I love those.

In the kitchen

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:22 pm
Those plastic grape vine lights that look very realistic other than the fact that they're lit up...They look so nice, festive and really liven it up in my opinion. (They have bunches of grapes with lights in them...I hope Im describing them well...)

mc'cutie

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:26 pm
Thanks for all your ideas. I am not sure yet what the walls will look like Smile most probably wood though..

Rivka, what do you mean by sequin decorations? Do you mean the ones you do on foam?
I happen to like those but I havent seen one that I liked. I want something big so I dont have to make to many things for each wall.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:28 pm
yea, the ones on foam.
goto yidmall.com, they have.

luckyme

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 1:48 pm
I have used garlands of fake flowers you can get at the craft store and staple them to the tops of the walls, or from top to bottom of each corner to hide the seams. They last pretty well from year to year and have a big impact.
I buy the cinnamon pine cones there as well, you can get a whole bag for around $5. My kids paint them with glitter glue and we tie ribbons to the tip and hang them from the schach supports.
I have a great recipe for what I call cinnamon sukkah garlands. I can give you the exact measurements if your interested. Kids love this project, too.
You mix cinnamon, applesauce and white glue, I also add clove oil if I have it. It forms a thick dough. After you refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer, roll it out to 1/4" thickness and use cookie cutters to make fall shapes. I use acorn, apples, leaves & pumpkin shapes. Use a straw to make a hole towards the top and let air dry for a few days. Then I use ribbon to string them all on at 6-8" intervals and hang the whole thing like a garland. They smell awesome, and bugs usually hate the smell of cinnamon, too.
For the walls, I have store bought posters and then from year to year my kids usually bring home stuff from school that I use and I also have them paint or decorate coloring pages of the ushpizin that you can get online.

In the kitchen

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 1:55 pm
I took my own advice just now and bought myself two strings of grape lighs from seasonal reflections .com I think? There are other places to get them too I'm sure. There are only 5 bunches per strand...so I bought 2. I saw them last year by a few sukkahs in LA and liked them so much, Im looking forward to having some in my own sukkah now that this year Im married! Smile

All the ideas the other posters suggested sound great too...I didnt know bugs dont like cinnamon, I will have to look into that then! That would be great. Smile

GAMZu

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 2:19 pm
That glue-applesauce-cinnamon project sounds interesting! What are the proportions?

mc'cutie

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 5:21 pm
Luckyme, thanks for your idea. I would like to know the recipe for cinnamon sukkah garlands.

luckyme

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 11:19 am
Hi all,
sorry for the delay in responding...
you need:
    1 cup applesauce
    1 1/2 cups ground cinnamon ( I use the cheap dollar/discount store variety for projects)
    extra cinnamon for "flouring" the board & pin
    1/3 cup white glue
    12 drops clove essential oil (optional)
    board & rolling pin
    drying rack or aluminum foil
    cookie cutters
    drinking straw
    ribbon

In a bowl mix the applesauce, cinnamon, clove oil & glue thoroughly.
    Refrigerate covered for 30 minutes+
    "Flour" board & rolling pin with cinnamon and roll out dough to 1/4" thickness.
    Cut into desired shapes and using the straw, make holes towards the top of the shapes for the ribbon.
    Lay on rack (or aluminum foil) to dry for 2-3 days, they should turn to a light brown color when dry.
    You can either string them on one long piece of ribbon, looping the ribbon around & through the holes or tying each piece in place with a knot, to make the garland.
    You can also tie each cinnamon decoration to its own string with a bow and hang them individually from the schach supports.

Hope you like it!

mc'cutie

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 4:29 pm
Thanks. Will try it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics