Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At least 4 dirty diapers a day

greeneyes

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:25 am
It's been going on for about a month. My 13 1/2 month old dd has been having 4-5 dirty diapers a day, some of them being diarrhea. I asked the doctor about it several times, and was told that it's normal, especially during the summer time, and that it might be related to teething.

I still feel concerned though. Also, I've been afraid to give her most fruits and veggies because that makes it worse, and since it's been going on for so long already, I worried that she isn't getting enough nutrition.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their toddlers? Is it normal? Is there anything I can do for her?

TIA!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:32 am
Does the baby take cow milk products?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:42 am
I was told to hold off on cow's milk for now, until the diarrhea stops.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:44 am
could be lactose intolerance. dh is intolerant, and if he doesnt take his pills, thats what happens. you say its going on for about a month which would bring you to when she turned one, probably when you started her on milk.
check it out.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:53 am
She never actually started milk. She does have cheese occasionally though. (I don't give it so often because of the diahrrea.)

Tehilla

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:56 am
my daughter got that. nothing was working to make it stop. I ended up taking her to our homeopath in Williamsburg and after more than 6 months of dealing with it, she got better. the doctors shrugged it off.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 12:51 pm
Is it possible she is teething? My boys get horrible diareaha all day when they are teething. The ped said it has something to do with a lot ofsalivia in the stomach.

Helani

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:34 pm
My 15 month old has it now and I am pretty sure it's teething. Not all of it is diarrhea. I think my other kids had it too at some point or another. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 2:52 pm
A month of diarrhea is too long for teething. If you want to try things, then take items out of her diet. Culprits are milk products (including hard cheese), wheat, citrus. Check her diet and see if there is anything "iffy" in it, then replace and see if the diarrhea stops. Introduce the food again and see if it start again, if you are curious. Medical doctors poo-poo an awful lot of things, but it could be that this time your baby's body is trying to get a message across.

Nomad

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:13 pm
that happened with my 10 month old and I started giving him more grains (like oatmeal, barley...) that seemed to help.

cl

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 4:16 pm
My son is 13m.
At 12m I moved him from dairy formula to milk but a few days later he got a stomach virus so I put him back on the formula until he was feeling better.
He was fine for about a week but now every day he does between 2-5 dirty nappies which is quite alot compared to 1-2 he was doing b4, an they are very runny an he's getting so sore.
The nurse I spoke to 2day also said it cud just be teething but said I shud stop the cows milk again n put him back on formual to see if it will make a difference.
But if he's OK on dairy formula how can he be lactose intolerant?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics