Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Quantum Mechanics

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:30 pm
Just curious. Is anyone on the board a research scientist? Does anyone know anything about the above? I was recently reading something about it and didn't understand most of it - but I found it interesting. Especially the amazing niflaos haborai how scientists can't figure out the big paradox how when the electrons are being watched they do something different....

http://www.simpletoremember.co......html see shiur "Beyond Miracles"
Anyone heard of this?

I was in the mood of posting something different.

Last edited by Aidelmom on Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

grin

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:37 pm
I'm not a research scientist but I did study Physics in college, inc. this.
What you call "the big paradox how when the electrons are being watched they do something different...." fits in so nicely with the Torah principle that if s/t wasn't observed, it didn't happen.

and the fact that what we call "matter" is really tiny bits of nothing tied together with energy.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:40 pm
grin wrote:
fits in so nicely with the Torah principle that if s/t wasn't observed, it didn't happen.

Why do you say that's a torah principle?

Last edited by Aidelmom on Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

grin

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:47 pm
I don't remember the source right now.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:55 pm
[youtube][/youtube]

grin

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 3:04 pm
thanks so much for posting that link. My kids don't study much science in school and that was explained in such simple language even they (with their broken English) could understand.
DO they also have one on meteors, shooting stars, and comets?

mali

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 3:15 pm
9yo ds loved it (with a lot of translation). when it was over, he commented, "ah, that's what the ba'al shem tov says, that even a stone has life!".

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 3:30 pm
wow didn't know if anyone would be interested.

Glad you enjoyed!

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 6:13 pm
here's what I read:

Schrodinger's Cat is the mascot of the new physics ... it has become a symbol of much that is mind-boggling about 20th century science.

The cat is in the box. You can't see it. It will randomly get either good food or poison. In the quantum world, all possibilities - even mutually contradictory ones, coexist and have a reality of their own. These coexisting quantum possibilities ensure that S.'s cat is fed both food and poison simultaneously. So he is both alive and dead at the same time.

If we open the box to look at it, we will see it is either dead or alive. But it is our looking that has saved or lost the cat. The observer is part of what he observes; observation changes things, and the world of observation is a world of either/or. The quantum world is one of both/and.

Quote:
fits in so nicely with the Torah principle that if s/t wasn't observed, it didn't happen.

the laws of testimony

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:27 pm
Scary, fascinating. Niflaos haborei.

mali

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 6:53 pm
motek, that sounds like nimna hanimna'os (should I say lehavdil?)

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 6:46 pm
pm me I have material

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 6:22 pm
Religion and the Quantum World

you can watch it or read the transcript

http://www.gresham.ac.uk/event.....d=271

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 6:26 pm
.... An implication of this "observer power" is that once you choose to see the photon as a wave, it was a wave all the way back to when it was emitted. Similarly if you choose to observe it as a particle, it was a particle not only at the time of observation, but retroactively all the way back to its origin. shock

"Whoa!" says the logical brain. "How can it be that an observation I make now is changing things earlier? It makes no sense. There must be some mistake here."

But there is no mistake. In 1978, physicist John Wheeler concocted a thought experiment to test this time-travel effect observers have on quantum systems, and lo-and-behold by 1984 it was proven in the lab and replicated dozens of times since. Today there is no doubt about it. Observer choices made now determine the history of quanta in the past, whether it's nanoseconds, minutes, or millennia ago.

... this whole retroactive reality business has an even a deeper spiritual significance. It refers to the power of teshuvah, "repentance," more accurately translated "return" or "restoration."

see the entire article here:

http://www.chabad.org/holidays.....e.htm

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 6:44 pm
dr quantam was cute ... but he put me to sleepy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics