Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Diahrea & Milk

Bell

Post Sun, Nov 21 2004, 8:31 pm
I started my son on milk about a month & a half ago ( WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 12 1/2 MONTHS) & for the past month he has had terrible diahrea. The Dr. says he should be completly off milk & milk products & that he should be drinking formuls in his bottle for at least the next 3 months. I should add that for the last week & a half, since he has been off milk & milk products, his diahrea went from 7 a day to about 3 a day.
So my q is:
Does anyone have any experience with s/t like this & if yes how did it turn out?

proudmom

Post Mon, Nov 22 2004, 12:58 pm
Yes I had the same exact thing with my son. He was around a year and a half. He wasnt able to tolerate the milk properly. He didnt drink milk and cottage cheese. Everything else he was able to eat. I tried slowly to introduce the milk back to him. When he had Diahrea I stopped and then I tried over and over again. Finally he was able to tolerate it. I gave him soy milk to drink in place of milk. I gave him cheese so he can get his calcuim intake. BH now he is fine. Hatzlacha Rabba

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Nov 22 2004, 11:29 pm
in most cases only straight milk is a problem, but not procesed dairy products.
So wehn he's completel fine for a week, try to introduce other dairy products 1 at a time
Good luck

Bell

Post Tue, Nov 23 2004, 11:28 am
he has been off milk for almost 2 weeks now & he is still having apr 4 -5 watery stools a day! I dont know what to do!
I cant even reintroduce yogurt b/c the watery stools have not stopped.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Nov 23 2004, 11:30 am
try some rice or other binding foods:)
sara

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2004, 4:27 pm
Stop giving him fruits and vegetables and all dairy and protein(chicken/fish etc) for 2 days and have him only drink formula or water and eat bananas, applesauce, rice(white), white bread, potatoes.
Its important to stop the diareah first and then you can see if it was just a virus or if its the dairy.
What does the doctor think?
Good Luck

rydys

Post Tue, Nov 23 2004, 9:10 pm
Definitely follow up with your doctor. After 2 weeks you should see some improvement if he is really off everything milchig and all juice & fruits. If he is still having so many stools you might want to send cultures to see if there is any infection

Bell

Post Tue, Nov 23 2004, 9:19 pm
the dr already took cultures.
He specifically wants him to be off only milk products so that he can see what the problem is. If he goes off f & v & the diahrea stops then we wont know what it was!
I really appreciate e/s input-- but the diahrea is still coming! Sad

Bell

Post Sun, Nov 28 2004, 6:01 pm
ok update:
For the past 5 days my ds has been eating ONLY pasta, bread, rice, banana, potato & B"H today, day 5 I have finally seen a stool that looks & smells "normal" .
Now the q is how long do I wait b/4 giving him other food 7 which other food shoul I reintroduce 1st?

micki

Post Sun, Nov 28 2004, 7:04 pm
over succos everyone had stomach viruses. my 2 yr old started diarrea like 5 a day and it was to the point that I made a rule- 3 dirty diapers a day. otherwise well hubby took up the slack. 3 weeks later it was still going strong. he looked healthy ate beautifully and doc said not to worry. by week 5 I called again- I am talking total liqued poop here- and doc said send it off for a culture. he also told me to take him off dairy. well that day my hubby picked up the containers and when it was a smelly one I told him he has the honor of doing the scraping. so he asks me if he shoulld just dump the piece in. DUMP?? PIECE??? hello its diarreah!!!! but it was solid. well- that was the end of the diraea. its been what 6 weeks since then? and he's good! I never took him off dairy. I guess the thought of the culture scared it away...

Bell

Post Sun, Dec 05 2004, 10:33 pm
BH my ds diahrea has stopped. Mind you he has not had dairy or dairy products for a month now. I am still waiting until I have given him all other food (incl eggs which I just recently read u should NOT give baby until 15 months) & then the yogurt chees etc

Bell

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 7:19 pm
so it seems that in the end it was a virus b/c he is back on milk and milk products & bh so far so good! hope this thread saves agravation!

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:38 pm
when a kid has a virus, milk can make it worse. so the dairy probably was the reason, but not b/c of a lactose intolerance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics