Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Has Imamother influenced your halachic choices?
1  2  Next

how has Imamother influenced your halachic choices?
I dropped a chumra or stopped doing something  
 16%  [ 15 ]
I took on something new I never knew about  
 7%  [ 7 ]
I took on something new I knew about but didnt feel ready to do until I read it here  
 7%  [ 7 ]
My life has remained unchanged, halachicly  
 61%  [ 55 ]
both, I took on more and also dropped some things  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 89

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 1:59 pm
Has anything you read on Imamother influenced you to the point that you dropped a chumra, or stopped doing something, that someone said was unnecessary?
or have you taken on something new b/c you read about it here?
or has your life remained unchanged (in terms of halacha)?

amother b/c this is a spin off from an earlier discussion from the "DH didn't seperate beds" thread

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:18 pm
Nope. Not in the least bit.

Last edited by Lady Godiva on Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:18 pm
I've taken on some new things, or done things with greater understanding and spirit, since I've come here. On the other hand (sorry to be brutally honest here), while I haven't dropped anything, some of the people here, through their tone or attitude, have turned me off to certain things. If somebody gets bossy or judgmental without displaying sufficient wisdom or knowledge, I tune them out.

It's funny that this came up today. After the comment amother (maybe you) made to freidasima's comment, I started thinking of this blog I read once in a great while. The other day, the woman who writes it declared that she had given up on nursing her new baby, because of problems. So many woman said how brave she is for saying this, and shared their own experiences. One said she was pregnant and is seriously considering not nursing. I'm not saying it's the same thing, I'm not making any judgment about weaning, but it did make me think -- will people who are afraid of nursing be encouraged to stop or not even try?

Just something to think about. I know it's not the same as religious observance, but I guess people can have that power. On the other hand, nobody here should listen to anybody else as the final word on anything. As I've said before, I don't know if I'd trust some of you loonies to give me kugel advice, so I guess I shouldn't trust you with anything else. Wink

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 2:21 pm
I wasn't serious.
Nope, I follow my own Rov. I could not care less what anyone else here does personally.
Sorry.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:24 pm
Unchanged, though there are a lot of things I've asked dh about to confirm that what we are doing is halachically right/acceptable.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:20 am
nope, not at all. I know that what we do is right for us (its what we learned and also talked about) and nothing on an internet forum is going to change my mind about that.

Amital

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:47 am
I've picked up all sorts of things that I didn't know before, but aren't strict halacha in nature. Like when to cut toenails. Not at night!

I actually feel this site has influenced me in the right direction, not so much in halacha, but in attitude. I have heard things I'd never heard before, like making challah with such kavanna. I took that tip and used it, and it was very spiritual and fulfilling. There are all sorts of nuances I've been made aware of that I didn't know, too.

I also find myself challenged to look things up and understand them more from this site (in addition to support for all the crazy things life throws at us!)

willow

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:52 am
Well, actually .... my my Shabbos HAS changed b/c of what ppl shared here. I make more of an effort and I really feel the spirit of what SHabbos is supposed to be b/c of that. So I thank you all Smile

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 6:54 am
Clarissa wrote:
Wink

oh my! did someone kidnap Clarissa and post in her place? is that an emoticon I see???

mugsisme

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 7:02 pm
Last summer there was a thread in the tznius section about how what we ladies wear affects the whole Jewish people. The thread was very, very long. (If I am remembering correctly.) So I took upon myself not to wear slits any more. I had discussed this with my LOR a couple of times, and he always told me that below the knee, a slit was OK. However, after reading this, I decided to try it and see if I could hold by it. I am happy to say it has been a year and it is fine.

I also met up with other Lubavitchers here. I am thrilled to re-connect with some old friends, and find that I have increased in a lot of other things (Lubavitcher minhagim) as well.

I think Imamother has been a positive influence for me. I do avoid some of the hot spots (although not tonight, LOL).

I think everyone has to judge for themselves, and hopefully we are all striving to go up.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 7:07 pm
I learnt halachos when I was engaged and stick to those.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 3:55 am
Bump.
I am wondering how this is relevant to today's imamothers.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 4:08 am
Other. I have asked shailos on things where I had not known other options existed validly. Whatever answer I get from my rav, I follow.

vicki

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:43 am
I'm proud to say that imamother has profoundly influenced me. In what to make for dessert and that is about it.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 9:43 am
I've stopped asking for BC heter.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 9:51 am
While I wouldn't say it's caused me to change anything, per se, I did learn about certain things I didn't know were issues, which led to me clarifying with my rav. For example, I didn't know that there could potentially be an issue with doing the postpartum dip on Shabbos. I saw that here, I asked my rav, he said it is a problem, so now when I'm pp I never do a hefsek on a Friday.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:25 am
Ditto to above - I still rely on my own halachic decision-makers, but in some circumstances imamother has informed me what to ask or what the choices are in the first place.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:24 pm
Quote:
That's the last reaction I expected to see. Possibly Apricot is responding tongue in cheek. Or could tell us how imamother could possibly have had this effect.

Or we need a poll
I ask for & get a heter.
I ask for & don't get a heter.
I don't ask for a heter
I am unfortunately battling IF.
etc.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:34 pm
There were some things I didn't even know were shaylas, and after learning about them I asked. And followed my own LOR's guidance.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
That's the last reaction I expected to see. Possibly Apricot is responding tongue in cheek. Or could tell us how imamother could possibly have had this effect.

Or we need a poll
I ask for & get a heter.
I ask for & don't get a heter.
I don't ask for a heter
I am unfortunately battling IF.
etc.

I was serious. My dh had a hard time asking. He kept on telling me that it's not a matter of halacha for a rav; it's hashkafa, and if I feel like I need it, there's no point in asking. I finally prevailed on him to ask. When he did ask, first he was sent from rabbit to rabbi because it's a "difficult" case (I had two of the same gender and my baby was 18 months old). Eventually I got a 3 month spermicide heter. At the same time I read here about what all kinds of people do. I even began a thread on this topic which stretched to be about 10 pages long. I just do what I need to do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions