Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken necks

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 5:49 am
I buy whole chickens and always just freeze the necks. I don't usually make chicken soup. so is there anything else I can do with the necks besides for soup?
tia

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 5:58 am
funny when I was a kid it was a huge treat to get the gorgol as we called it my mother roasted it w/ the other chicken. But its a matter of taste or inclination I guess.

Marion

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 6:10 am
I also just freeze the necks. I either toss them into the soup (only in the winter) or occasionally I'll cook 1 of them with the rest of the chicken and that's the meat that DS gets, because he doesn't seem to care yet and it's automatically small pieces.

greentiger

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 6:59 am
Can you make a stew with them? How about adding them to the cholent?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 7:55 am
greentiger wrote:
Can you make a stew with them? How about adding them to the cholent?

I personally never did, but I used to go to a friends house when I was younger and they always put chicken necks in their chulent.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:14 am
I find chicken neck bones to be very annoying, so I would not want them in stew.
I roast my chicken whole, and leave the neck on. As Aidel mentioned, we know it as the gergel and it's fun to munch on - gets nice and crisp.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:22 am
Aidelmom wrote:
funny when I was a kid it was a huge treat to get the gorgol as we called it my mother roasted it w/ the other chicken. But its a matter of taste or inclination I guess.
Same here. The little tidbits of meat were always so sweet and tender. We'd pick out and eat every little tiny bit. We called it a gergol.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:20 am
Put it in the pot when you make meatballs. The sauce makes it taste good.

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 12:51 pm
even if u dont make soup its good to have a broth,freeze in little baggies.
if u decide to make pasta or rice for a main dish for lunch,u can use the broth for flavoring.

Tapuzi

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:11 pm
My mother makes fricazee with gorgols (necks) pipiks (bellybuttons) and small meatballs in a tomato sauce over rice. So yummy.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:43 am
Tapuzi wrote:
My mother makes fricazee with gorgols (necks) pipiks (bellybuttons) and small meatballs in a tomato sauce over rice. So yummy.

I make something similar except I fry an onion first, add water and everything else. Tomato sauce sounds good though.
Also, my DH loves breaded chicken necks. I bread them (usually with kemach krispy bake) and roast them

smilethere

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:49 am
Tapuzi wrote:

I think pipiks are a totally different part of the chicken - check out what it means in yiddish!! Drunken Smile Drunken Smile

Incidentally gorgels gross me out!! I am terrified of bones of any version. I do use them in the chicken soup, although my dh would love to get it in the chulent. Too bad Very Happy

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:50 am
smilethere wrote:
Tapuzi wrote:

I think pipiks are a totally different part of the chicken - check out what it means in yiddish!! Drunken Smile Drunken Smile

Incidentally gorgels gross me out!! I am terrified of bones of any version. I do use them in the chicken soup, although my dh would love to get it in the chulent. Too bad Very Happy

They're gizzards, which I cannot stand!!! My DH seems to love them

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 2:39 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
Same here. The little tidbits of meat were always so sweet and tender. We'd pick out and eat every little tiny bit. We called it a gergol.

me too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey