Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Wooden puzzle storage

sky

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 8:18 pm
I have a bunch of wooden puzzles, all different sizes, some with pegs some without. I need a neat way to store them rather then just piling them in the clostet - then they fall and I always feel like I am cleaning it up even if we are not playing with them.
In target I saw 2 versions of a rack but they were $15.00 and up and were too small for wider puzzles
and came with puzzles I did not need.
Does anybody have any ideas for an inexpensive solution, that will last, and keep the puzzles neat (I looked in the kitchen isles for ideas and didn't see anything).
Thanks.

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 8:29 pm
I was thinking the same thing today. I have puzzles that fall and I have to put them back each time! That prompted me to search for something for myself lso.

How about these?
letter containers http://www.containerstore.com/.....65942
or
paper sorters http://www.containerstore.com/.....70952
or
wire puzzle holder http://www.target.com/Melissa-.....age=1

I have different size puzzles so I'd need something that would fit different lengths

leomom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:23 pm
Our library has a big puzzle collection in the children's room. Each puzzle is stored in its own flat, zippered bag. The front is transparent plastic so you can see the puzzle. I'm not sure where they get them but they seem like they would not be expensive. You could ask your library where to get such a thing (if they have something similar), or search online for library supplies.

Or for a really cheap version of this idea, put each puzzle in its own giant ziploc bag. Store all the bags in one big bin or on a shelf.

micki

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 11:19 pm
I have this Item number: 290254795731 (on ebay)

and it works great, until my son pulls one puzzle after another and tosses them on the floor...

sky

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:08 am
Thanks eveyone.
I think that is the problem with a lot of these solutions - they only hold the size puzzles they were designed for. I have 4 different sizes of puzzles.
With the zip lock bags - wouldn't the pieces fall out into the bags?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:16 am
ziploc bags in a smaller sterilite container. not the shoebox size, next one up.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:42 am
We just have them stacked on a low shelf, one on top of the other. The kids are very careful with the way they take them out, not to spill the others.

leomom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:49 am
sky wrote:
Thanks eveyone.
I think that is the problem with a lot of these solutions - they only hold the size puzzles they were designed for. I have 4 different sizes of puzzles.
With the zip lock bags - wouldn't the pieces fall out into the bags?

Sure they could, if they're tipped. But the point is that it doesn't matter if they fall out -- they stay contained in the bag.

If you want to be able to see what the completed puzzle looks like, you could always put a picture (cut from the box, if the puzzle came in one, or a photo you take & print) inside the bag with the puzzle.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:13 pm
the ziploc method works great for us. I even debated doing this for my herbal teas, since we like to have a few kinds around and they can lose flavor. to put all the teas in a ziploc bag, with a picture of the box also so I know which flavor...

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:22 pm
ditto to the ziploc bag idea. each puzzle goes in a bag and gets stacked on a shelf.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics