Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Yeshiva...how many white shirts and how many black pants???

raspberry tea

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 2:29 pm
How many of each do you send with your son?

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 2:55 pm
I asked dh he said 12 white shirts and 4 pants are enough

anonymom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:31 pm
I am sending a ninth grader away. I bought him 6 pairs of pants. We first bought 2, then found these really good ones at Nordstroms ($23) so we bought 4 more. 4 total would have probably been more than enough. I hope these fit him for a while.
I bought him 6 new everyday shirts on top of the maybe 4 he already has.

He said he wants to do laundry once every 2 weeks, which seems reasonable.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 6:09 am
Do the boys have access to a machine? Mine don't yet and hand wash. They of course want more clothes.

anonymom

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 7:19 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
Do the boys have access to a machine? Mine don't yet and hand wash. They of course want more clothes.

Wow! Boys handwashing their laundry! Is he in a yeshiva? How can they not have washing machines? How often do they come home? I would sooner buy him enough clothes for 4 weeks and have him do it when he comes home than have him handwash. It seems it would take so much time and have questionable results. My son's yeshiva also doesn't have machines, but they walk to a laundromat.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 7:37 am
My boys are in a rather new yeshiva. It is small and money is tight. Parents offered to buy a machine and pay for the hook up but they want to wait until they are in the permanent dorm building as they are not allowed to make plumbing changes in the rented dorm.

They come every 2 weeks and I do not at all object to them learning to wash their clothes. They do it right because it is their clothes. I wouldn't ask them to do my handwash Rolling Eyes

I do send a lot of socks and underwear.

mugsisme

Post Sat, Aug 30 2008, 11:15 pm
I sent enough for a week and half w/o doing laundry. He has about 8 or 9 pairs of pants (Old Navy had black ones on sale for Stuff a Bag for $9.99 and 20% off of that) and probably 12 white shirts? I figured he needed more since they tend to get dirtier quicker.

You have to find out how often the boys do laundry.

dora

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:42 am
Last year I sent my son with 5 pairs of pants that cost $15 each plus $8 for a hem each. 3 months later..... they were all too short.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:45 am
dora wrote:
Last year I sent my son with 5 pairs of pants that cost $15 each plus $8 for a hem each. 3 months later..... they were all too short.

Oy, Dora! That's what I'm afraid of. My son is turning 13 and this is just the beginning of the growth spurt, I'm sure!

grin

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 3:36 am
mine has enough shirts and pants for 3 wks, enough between visits. B"H I found 2 pairs of pants 2nd-hand for 10 NIS apiece, then 2 more for 60 NIS apiece - the hemming I do myself.
all told, 8 shirts and pants, and double that for undies and socks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children