Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Cutting out naps

LO

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 10:07 am
Hi everyone!
I have twin girls that are almost 20 months old. Right now, they wake up at around 6, take a 2 hr nap, and go to sleep for the night at around 8:30-9. They slept through the night for a while, but now often wake up at least once....
Anyway, I'm starting nursing school soon, IY"H, and really really really need my nights. Even without school, by the time they go to sleep I'm too wiped to do anything, which is a big problem because I work during the day and need that time to make dinner, etc.
So, someone suggested that I should already take away their nap, and thereby insure that they go to sleep by 7. The idea sounds good, but I wanted to hear if any of you have had experience with this and have any suggestions. Also, is it healthy for kids this age to go without a nap?
Thanks in advance for all your advice!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 10:17 am
My experience 9 times out of 10, when my child doesn't go in for a nap when they need to and go to sleep earlier, they wake up 2, 3 hours later, thinking that it's a nap. If they need the nap, they need it and going to sleep earlier won't make a difference with waking up in middle of the night, I think.

LO

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:21 pm
Should I try to limit the length of nap, let's say to 1 hr? Would that help?

cuteson

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:29 pm
yo'ma wrote:
My experience 9 times out of 10, when my child doesn't go in for a nap when they need to and go to sleep earlier, they wake up 2, 3 hours later, thinking that it's a nap. If they need the nap, they need it and going to sleep earlier won't make a difference with waking up in middle of the night, I think.

absolutely right I tried this several times thinking it might help, but my DS always got up an hour or two later.

tweety99

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:08 am
I cut out my sons nap during the day because he wouldnt go to bed till 9 or later and got up early.. since ive cut it out he goes to bed 7.30 and gets up 8.30 ish. its much better! its just having to put up with having him up all day thats all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics