Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Anyone have the "no tasting before Shabbos rule?"
1  2  3  Next

mandksima

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 5:51 pm
My SIL refuses anyone to try a piece of cake, kugel, chicken, whatever before Shabbos. I ask her how she knows if it's good and she tells me it is what it is (even if there are guests) and that's her rule.

We, on the other side of the spectrum, taste everything and anything and sometimes eat a good portion of it before Shabbos and that is almost our "rule." I make extra amounts sometimes, knowing that we'll want to eat some beforehand, and other times, we'll just have whatever is left even if it is not as much as I'd like. I'm curious to see other people's "rules."

BTW, I just made BBQ spicy spare ribs that were just sitting in my freezer taking up space and they are now half gone with DH's and my midnight snacking. Oh well, I'll make a little chicken too then tomorrow. But, how could you not taste BBQ spicy spare ribs when they smell up the house???? Who has that kind of willpower????

Lani22

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 5:54 pm
I always make enough to have some before shabbas. My mother always did this as well- she sometimes even makes special dishes just for a before shabbas snack!. My husbands family they only are allowed to have the potato kugel before shabbas.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:04 pm
I'd taste it but not eat it before. Shabes food is shabes food, but one has to make sure it's good.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:06 pm
Most of my food is made last minute, but things like kugels and cake I usually let people have a very small taste.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:09 pm
There's something called tahameha-you are supposed to eat a little from the shabbos food friday afternoon. Some eat kugal, some cholent, some soup. We eat kugal and ferfel every friday afternoon.

out-of-town

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:18 pm
we eat some of the sides but not the mains before shabbos. like some apple kugal muffins my dh always eats atleast one before shabbos.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:22 pm
I don't taste it before shabbos. It's not like I'm going to make something else.

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:31 pm
I've learned to make extra to eat/taste before Shabbat, its not fair to make DH eat a sandwich or something when his favorite dishes are sitting in front of him! Plus I like to eat it too, if not to at least taste it to make sure its good to serve!

YALT

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:42 pm
it's the cake that we all want to "taste".
My rule is You can have 1 or 2 pieces, but no "straightening"
straightening is really what makes the cake crooked, and you can't count how much you've eaten. Then you want to know why your clothes don't fit! (and why there's no more shabbos morning.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:56 pm
"no tasting before shabbos" is the only rule ... what on earth will you do later when you either have no food left for shabbos or you are sick of it before shabbos ... I never understood that ...

yummydd

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:30 pm
Erev shabbos we have the kugel and farfel a parve chulent (made speacially for erev shabbosso we eat that too. My dh will sometimes eat fish instead. and Thursday night supper is many times chicken soup and chicken and farfel... It doesnt get boring because by the time were finished the fish and salads and soup who can even eat, so everyone nibbles a drop and Im thankful that I didnt cook for nothing

mama-star

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:36 pm
Quote:

There's something called tahameha-you are supposed to eat a little from the shabbos food friday afternoon. Some eat kugal, some cholent, some soup. We eat kugal and ferfel every friday afternoon.

yes, I learned it is connected to experiencing the geula before it occurs b'shleima. and out-of-town, would you mind posting that apple-muffin-kugel recipe?

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:43 pm
yummydd wrote:
Erev shabbos we have the kugel and farfel a parve chulent (made speacially for erev shabbosso we eat that too. My dh will sometimes eat fish instead. and Thursday night supper is many times chicken soup and chicken and farfel... It doesnt get boring because by the time were finished the fish and salads and soup who can even eat, so everyone nibbles a drop and Im thankful that I didnt cook for nothing

yeah well I learned long ago not to make so many courses ... it's either or ...

cookielady

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 8:31 pm
We taste most things. On occasion, food has gotten finished and I have had to make it again for shabbos. (Usually potato knick.)

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:44 pm
I'm not usually done cooking until pretty close to Shabbos, and I'm lucky if dh makes it home with an hour to spare before hadlakas neiros. So I don't have a rule against tasting before Shabbos, but it almost never happens.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:49 pm
we eat shabbos food for supper no thursday, friday, and sunday... you get the picture.

hila

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 11:49 pm
tasting teh food on friday is called "me-ein olam haba " - a taste of the world to come !
מעין עולם הבא

So tasting is Ok, but not eating.

My ds loves chicken soup, and I usually leave the soup out thursday night cooling and get up to put it in the fridge, or do it early friday moring.

One week I found almost no soup. Apparently he and some friends were studying till late and "just fancied" a bowl of soup each .

Teenagers - got to love them !

hope his fiancee knowshow to make good soup. he is her responsibility from next week beH !

greentiger

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 2:51 am
If its something that I know I will anyways be stuck with leftovers of, like cholent or kugel, I don't mind serving before shabbos. Sometimes I taste and sometimes I don't but keep in mind that tasting doesn't mean eating a full portion!

challi

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 2:56 am
I should have a rule... I just ate a piece of potato kugel, a whole bunch of shnitzle "crumbs" (you know the pieces to small to really qualify as a real shnitzel), some eggplant, and a few roasted potatoes.

At least I know my food tastes good... What

But at this rate my shabbos clothes might not fit Rolling Eyes

e1234

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:07 am
my husband claims it's a mitzva to taste shabbos food erev shabbos and he is very makpid about it..

I hate when he starts the cake as then everyone has a piece and there's nothign left -- I try to make it very close to shabbos.

all my kids eat chicken the nicest erev shabbos so I let it. (they eat much better then friday night)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus