Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you take as a meal to a new mother?
1  2  Next

ElTam

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 4:49 pm
What do you make when you are taking a meal with a family with a new baby? I want to have more in my reperetorie than the usual spaghetti and meatballs.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 5:18 pm
One of the best meals I got after giving birth was a sliced, roast turkey breast, with mashed potatoes and a cranberry/mandarin orange/walnut salad. In the middle of June LOL

Also loved the baked salmon with fettucini alfredo. Yum!

shoy18

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 5:42 pm
depends on the family. if they have a other children, chicken cutlets cut into thin strips and farfel is usually yummy.
or a lasagna

if its just the hub and wife a delicious salad is always a hit[/quote]

miriam

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 8:20 pm
I am a vegetarian so I don't cook fleishig for others. I make a lasgna and a salad. Make sure to add a lot of cheese so it's yummy. I also make 2 trays, it's great for leftovers. Supper is not the only meal of the day.

BlumaG

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 10:42 pm
I have made fleishig lasagna and recently I opt to help out ofr shabbos rather than a whole meal and I opt for a lokshen kugel so easy n tasty

willow

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 7:21 am
I know that when I give birth I would want ppl to send me salads (b/c ppl rarely do that) and soups are always nice.

cindy324

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 2:47 pm
The best thing I ever got after I gave birth was a full yom tov meal! Thank you TIMEOUT!!!. I gave birth 2 days before Sucos, had a C-section, had to leave the hospital erev Succos, she knew my hubby was struggling with the cooking , so she sent over soup, fish, potato kugel, tzimmes, even nosh for the kids.

slimnglam

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 3:04 pm
I don't like making the same old meats and chickens so I send over cheese blintzes, eggplant parm and french onion soup in a huge basket. then I stick in choco milk, a tub of milchig ice cream for dessert and I throw in a few mini chocholate bars.
when you have time, you can wrap each pan (whatever you're bringing each dish in )in cellophane paper and ribbons! It looks so nice !!!!!
It's all in the presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thats, if you have time, of course, which MANY of us, don't!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

bceaya

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 3:40 pm
I like to make different things for people so they have a variety, here are some different ideas: 1)Turkey burgers, roasted potatoes and grilled veggies, and I just bought them hamburger buns 2)Salmon, rice and salad 3) Baked shnitzel 4) Meatball potato dumpling soup 5) Baked fish. I usually try to do a protein, starch and veggy/salad and fruit salad for dessert.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 3:48 pm
As much as I appreciated all the meals I got after giving birth, I ended up with meatballs, followed by meatloaf, followed by hamburgers followed by more meatballs. My favorite meal was my friend's lasagna. Yum! also, she made a brownie in an 8 x8 pan & stuck cand letters on it saying Mazel Tov. She also put in a couple of lollipops for my other kids. It's these little things that leave an impression.

realeez

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 6:39 pm
I got chicken and rice a lot!
I've made all sorts of things - one time I made a chinese lemon chicken (with small pieces of boneless chicken breasts) and the dh went on an on about how good it was! I was happy b/c htese were ppl who became frum very recently and they were so touched that so many friends and even acquaintances got together to work out a few weeks worth of meals.
I like to send soup when I can.
the most important is to send everything in disposables. it made me nuts to worry about returning things!
w/ my most recent I had funny experiences with portion size - from enough food to feed a yeshiva to barely enough food to feed my picky 3 year old! (it's funny b/c the 2nd person is so generous - I guess she's a small eater! luckily there was a mistake and a 2nd person made food or we would have been very hungry that friday night!)

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 3:31 pm
I make minostrome soup with onion bread and a pizza or eggplant sauce with spagetti to go with it. I also have made turkey meat loaf, stuffed cabbages, and a big meat kinish with rice mixed with raisins and almonds, and salad and a soup.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 4:35 pm
I think I'd love to have some of you cooking for me! Smile Mmm....sounds good!
I just finished getting 2 weeks worth of meals...and honestly, most of them were chicken! We're not big chicken people, but of course, we appreciated the chesed and they were all delicious!
The few that we got that were different was a fish in veggies dish, meatballs and spagetti, shnitzel (well, it's not the typical chicken) & latkes, and a pizza pie! I also appreciated the salads, cuz I wasn't making them myself.
If you want to be a bit different, send milchigs!! (and leftover milchigs for lunch works better than chicken)
No offense intended to those of you who send chicken -- it's definately greatly appreciated!

happyone

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 5:16 pm
can I be your friend??? sounds good!!!
I'll let you know when I give birth Wink

slimnglam

Post Mon, Jan 02 2006, 4:43 pm
For all those who live in Monsey, they just started a program to send meals to mothers who just had babies!!!!!!! You can e-mail slimnglam@aol.com for those who want to join (cook or receive)!!!!!!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 02 2006, 9:07 pm
I have cooked for new mothers for years and send a full full meal, with homemade bread, frozen vegetable soup (easier to carry), a lasagne or baked ziti (always dairy and double wrapped), a big green salad, and dessert (brownies, cookies, etc.)

I have had sometimes a new mother request me send a 2nd meal, similar!

Tila

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 3:25 pm
I ask first what they want. Spices they do not like etc. I last gave squash soup, sheppards pie, sweet carrots, a bag of bodek salad, crutons, dessing, and choc chip mandelbroit. Want me to cook for you Smile

stem

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 3:30 pm
I always make the same thing: shnitzel with roasted potatoes and salad with croutons in a bag.

Tila

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 3:45 pm
clever! Frzen soup!!

happymom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 8:55 pm
lasagnya since kids love it too
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen