Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
The BEST Apple/Cinnamon Cake (the BEST)
1  2  3  Next

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 3:34 pm
From The Taste of Shabbos (Aish's cookbook)

3 cups sliced apple (I grate it, actually)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups + 4 Tbsp. sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1/4 cup orange juice (I used apple)
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup oil

Toss sliced apples with cinnamon and 4 Tbsp. sugar in a bowl.
Combine sifted dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well and add eggs, juice, vanilla and oil. Beat until smooth. In a lightly greased tube pan (I used a 9x13 rectangle) spread 1/3 of dough. Drain off liquid from apples. Arrange half of them over dough. Cover with 1/3 dough. Spread rest of apples and cover with remainder of dough. Bake at 350 (175 C) for 1-1/14 hours.

I am an apple freak and this cake is just IRRESISTABLE. That combo of apples and cinnamon is heavenly!

atlastamom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 5:19 pm
thank you very much, ChossidMom! my dh loves apples and I am always looking for different ways to use them (though he wouldn't mind the same thing every week!) I am going to make this now

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 5:29 pm
so.. around how many apples is 3 cups grated ?

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 5:32 pm
I'm afraid to try it. It sounds delicious and I'm afraid I'll become addicted!

yentaof8

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 6:50 pm
When it comes to recipes, I'm also a stickler for exact measurements - so how many apples to you need sliced for this recipe? TIA

atlastamom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:05 pm
I just did it, it's in the oven now.
Depends on the size of your apples, but I used approx. 3 med. sized apples sliced not grated.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:59 pm
I was just gonna say probably 3 or 4 ...

mama-star

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 9:18 pm
that sounds totally awesome cookielady, just in time for rosh hashana. do the dough layers spread evenly?

mama-star

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 9:21 pm
oops! sorry chossidmom. it's been a long day. either that or I have cookielady on the brain. or maybe I saw the word "cookie" in your avatar and that did it.

LOL

cookielady

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 9:29 pm
mama-star wrote:
oops! sorry chossidmom. it's been a long day. either that or I have cookielady on the brain. or maybe I saw the word "cookie" in your avatar and that did it.

LOL

There's nothing better than getting credit for something I didnt do. It was so easy, MamaStar!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:01 am
I made this cake for shabbos, and it was a winner! It will become part of the weekly menu, iyh.

Thank's Chossidmom!

I would add more apples though, would that be against the rules?

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:51 pm
Thanks Chossidmom, this cake was a real hit. It really is delicious! I used 5 small-med apples, but next time I would definitely add more since I'm an apple fan!

atlastamom

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 5:09 pm
yeah, thank you! it came out very good!

dedo

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 11:14 am
yum

Last edited by dedo on Tue, Dec 16 2008, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 11:22 am
This is actually one of the easiest cakes I've ever made. I made a double recipe this time, because last time it disappeared so fast. The only annoying part is peeling the apples. Wink I never bother with cake mixes.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 4:49 pm
I don't want to make it anymore. it's too good. Crying What can I say? No self control Confused

Mevater

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 4:03 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup oil

Combine sifted dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well and add eggs, juice, vanilla and oil. Beat until smooth. In a lightly greased tube pan (I used a 9x13 rectangle) spread 1/3 of dough. Drain off liquid from apples. Arrange half of them over dough. Cover with 1/3 dough. Spread rest of apples and cover with remainder of dough. Bake at 350 (175 C) for 1-1/14 hours.

I am an apple freak and this cake is just IRRESISTABLE. That combo of apples and cinnamon is heavenly!
On another thread someone posted this recipe and suggested cutting the sugar. That was the last post on that thread. Has anyone cut the sugar by 1/2 cup or more and still loved this recipe?

Any other favorite kugel recipes?

questioner

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 4:11 pm
Mevater wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup oil

On another thread someone posted this recipe and suggested cutting the sugar. That was the last post on that thread. Has anyone cut the sugar by 1/2 cup or more and still loved this recipe?

Any other favorite kugel recipes?

I cut it by 1/4 cup or so and it's delicious. Very much a cake and not a kugel though.

SJcookie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 10:58 am
ChossidMom wrote:

1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup oil

I know this is many moons later, but I did a search for an apple cake and decided to make this one and WOW! it is absolutely delicious. Hands down the best apple cake I have ever tasted.
Thank you so much chossidmom!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 3:01 pm
It is also a really good vanilla based cake - just leave out the apple/cinnamon -
its a really versatile recipe - u can make it into a coffeecake by adding a crumble halfway thru the batter and then ontop -
u can make it with blue berries in middle of batter
and you can add a bunch of squirts of chocolate syrup in 1/4 of the batter and make it into a marble cake -
its yummy!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins