Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashering kelim

momtomany

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 2:03 pm
I'm kashering some knives right now and I'm wondering how long do they need to boil in the pot for?
later I'll post how they came to be treifed.

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 2:11 pm
it depends how they became trief

momtomany

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 2:39 pm
they were dropped by my lovely son down the sink drain which connects both the fleishik and milchik sinks. so b/c the hot water from both sinks reaches that part they are treif. I asked a rav and he told me to boil them in a pot, I'm just not sure for how long.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 4:28 am
Why not call the Rav? Make sure the item is totally clean, with nothing stuck to it, including dirt in crevices. This is very important. Then, make sure that 24 hours have elapsed, so that the utensil is no longer a ben yomo.

1) You bring the pot to a rolling , bubbling boil, THEN drop in the item you need to kasher. AFAIK (but please call your Rav anyway Very Happy ) it needs to be in the boiling water just for a couple of seconds, Make sure that the entire utensil is covered by the boiling water, Sometimes when you put something in the water cools a bit, I think it has to come back to a boil for the item to get kashered, and before you can remove it, check with your Rav,

2)then, while the water is still boiling, you fish it out ( with tongs or anything else that can get a grip on it, or maybe a loose string around it method, ask your LOR - do NOT put your hand in the boiling water - I know, you're smart enough to figure that out Wink )

3) and IMMEDIATELY pour (or dip into) COLD water over it. This is part of the Kashering, because the treife taam that was expelled into the hot water, which settles back on the utensil, now will get re-absorbed if it is not immediately rinsed off with cold water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen