Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to organize kids clothes? plz help

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 8:29 am
How do your organize kids clothes?
My question is like this:
I have clothes that I got for my son, in many different sizes. When I got it, I divided it into bags for each size. a) 0-3, b) 3-6, c) 6-9 and 9-12 and 6-12 mos in one bag, d)12-18 e) 18-24 f) 2T g) 3T.
So far, I've taken out one bag when the other got finished up. But now I'm up to the taking out 12-18 mos bag and I've got very few and I looked at some of the 18-24 mos and it seems so similar in size. Would you take out both of those, and just have the kid wearing slightly big clothes? Or do you keep one size until it doesnt fit anymore and then take out the next?

Also, when its in drawers, how do you divide up the drawers?
I've got 3 wide drawers. I've got undershirts, one piece pajamas, 2 piece pajamas, 1 piece outfits summer outfits, 1 piece winter outfits, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweaters/sweatshirts, pants, etc... How do you sort out stuff? Do you only take out the appropriate season? Or take out everything? I have no clue how to organize this stuff, maybe one of you can help.

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:26 am
if you have a lot of clothing wearing one size untill it doesn't fit you have clothes in the next season that never really got worn. I noticed that sizes do over lap and strechies in one size don't last as long as 2 peice outfits. I organized my kids clothing according to actual size - how it fits your child. if I have a lot of one season I put the clothing away according to season. like winter 2t. summer where I am is shorter so I always have a smaller amount of summer than fall winter, long sleeves and pants and sweaters.

for some weird reason I have 3 boxes of 6-9 months, also when the kids ge older clothing lasts longer, for 6 months or more, they don't grow as fast. also to get a better fit they wear a size larger in shirts and smaller in pants.

if you want to save money are don't want to do laundry you can roll up the sleeves and pants to fit. skirts don't work so well but they can be longer than they are suppossed to be.

my drawers have socks undershirts, pj's together then. I divide the clothes into outfits, both peices usaully get dirty at the same time any way, or if everything is mix and match shirts in one pile and pants in another and then sweaters.

I guess how much you take out depends on how much space you have or the weather right now its going from hot to cold then hot again. tshirts in the day and fleece at night???!!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:35 am
I put away per season. Each bin is from winter things or summer things from that year. I only store things I know I will use again because no point just laying around taking up space.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 1:57 pm
I put clothes initially in bins per size, but when taking out, if I see a size larger or smaller that will fit, I group it with the ones he wears at the "real"size. E.g. I might have some 12 month and 24 month stuff with the 18 month box (actually 2 -- one per season, and I go through either for in between weather, short sleeve from one, long pants from another) and that way I know for the next boy I will have the same size clothes, regardless of tag.

Drawers (my boys each have 2):
Hang up Shabbos clothes.
One drawer is pajamas and underwear for older boy (socks are in basket on dresser); pajamas and socks for younger. Mixing all kinds -- one piece and 2 piece. Undershirts/onesies in winter.
Second drawer is daytime clothings: shirts and pants (or one piece outfits). When the weather changes and we need to switch, I switch out some at a time, since it usually is on and off for a while. Currently, I have 3 long sleeved pants/shirts in the drawer with the summer stuff.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 2:04 pm
I keep it sorted by size and boy / girl, except bulky things like winter coats I keep all together and before the winter I go through the box and see who fits what and what I need to buy (B"H I get lots of hand me downs from IL). I have my kids wear things slightly big if need be, but I try to keep them in the right size or I find all the clothes look yucky before they fit right. I also go through really strictly what I put away for the next one, not so much in baby things but as they get to toddlers you really don't need to keep 5 stained t-shirts for gan. Keep 1 or 2 and all the good ones, and don't be afraid to pass on things that are beyond prime.

As far as drawers, I use those plastic baskets to keep things sorted. Each girl has 1 drawer, in it is one basket for pjs, one for skirts, and one for panties & socks. Good luck I hate orginizing kids' clothes!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 2:48 pm
Oh, right. Winter coats/mittens/hats are one bin also.

(Yes, I plan on storing my girl's clothes separately, but alas, she's not out of 0-3 months yet Smile
Her stuff is all in one drawer for now.)

Akeres Habayis

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 6:22 am
I grouped 0-6months.once she turned a year I gathered all those clothes and labeled 1st yr clothes,and packed according to season.
I also received clothes that are too big,I still pack according to 6months at a time.I dont think it makes so much of a difference.

as far as everyday,I don't have a normal drawer for her embarrassed I have a bed/couch w/drawer.there are three sections.I have socks,pj's,undershirts in one section,sheets/blankets for crib in 2nd,and shirts and bottoms in another.her dresses I hang up.

what does someone mean when they said "bin"u mean u dump the clothes and sort as u need for an outfit??
or u are british and its another word for drawer? LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics