Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Moving! What do I do?

shnitzel

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 9:04 pm
I am moving apartments - almost exactly 100 blocks so not far away.
A moving truck is a bit expensive. We don't know when yet, we get the apartment thusday or friday but we can't move then.
Nothing is packed now and I am a bit short on time. Where do you get boxes from? How do you pack e/t?
The apartment is a mess b/c I feel like no point putting things away if I am just going to pack them. Have a thousand things going on. No idea how I will cook for yontif which we are working on - no going to our families out of town Crying
I need help!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 9:18 pm
First of all, clean up. It's easier to find things afterwards if they're put in the right boxes, so it's easier to put them in the right boxes if you clean up first. You can buy boxes or go into stores and ask them if they have any. Fruit and vegetable stores usually have that they don't need, but their boxes are not the greatest. Supermarkets also have great ones, but sometimes they use it for their deliveries. Other types of stores also have and they usually just dump them.
Pack by room. Beyond that, I don't really know because we've always used movers.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 9:26 pm
supermarkets have boxes - but you gotta find out what time they shelve their stuff so they don't go into the dump ...

rent a small u-haul truck ...
take one room at a time and put everything into the boxes and bring it to the apt and pull it all right back out and into the appropriate room ...
since you're close enough you can make several trips this way ...

where will you be for yom tov in the old or the new place ... cook now and stick it in the freezer (and I rarely advise anybody to do so) - this way you can pop into the oven ...

have FUN !!!

shnitzel

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 10:34 pm
So I think we are moving friday.
DH tells me he told someone we don't need meals for shabbos since we'll be tired and want to have a quiet shabbos ourselves. If its REALLY crazy he said we'll buy shabbos. (I'll buy shabbos). UMMM... so I have to kasher the kitchen to heat up food, make sure we unpack some dishes (we all know plastic dosen't cut it for everything) and sit in a mess of boxes on Friday night????
Did I mention I have a paper due tomorrow another on thursday that I come home at around 9:30 every night, we are working for a shul so preparing for R"H there like crazy, DH works two other jobs has a meeting that ends 8:00 on wednesday and after 10:00 thursday night???
I don't have time to cook for yom tov.
I don't have time to pack.
I don't have time for school work.
He sounded annoyed when I said I didn't think having our own shabbos meals was a great idea. Its a mess, I need to write papers, I am tired and DH is just getting over being quite sick (we had a shabbaton last shabbos so we are both still recovering from that).
C'est la vie

atlastamom

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 11:31 pm
I can definitely commiserate. We are moving tomorrow and we only decided that last week. We have been packing like crazy since then, and it's a lot of work. I drove to a bunch of stores to ask them if they had boxes. Make sure to label all of your boxes, so you know what you have to open right away and what can wait until after Rosh Hashanah (and longer).
I am also working with a 14 month old ds who unpacks as I pack, I am tired, and pregnant. So this is definitely not the most exciting project...
Good luck! and go away for Shabbos or at least the meals!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 11:41 pm
you gotta cut yourself some slack ... tell that to the dh ...

happyone

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:31 am
good luck! Moving is a big job. Do you live in a community where the schools have chesed programs which send girls to help out after school? I would contact one of the schools (if available) and see if you can have some help packing and cleaning. It does sound overwhelming for you right now.

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 9:14 am
good luck moving was so annoying. if you don't have time you can buy boxes from uhaul. you can move yourself if you don't have heavy things and have an elevator. dh tried to do it with a bochur and a walkup. not a good idea. its worth it to pay the money to have someone shlep. also they helped pack.

the first shabbos was like a picnic but we lived.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics