Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Acorn Squash?

sky

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 5:57 pm
So - I bought an acorn squash thinking I'd make KBD's acorn squash with frosted cranberries but:
1. I have no clue how to cut this thing in half.
2. Will this taste good
3 What else could I make with an Acorn squash if I chicken out.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:05 pm
I cut mine in half and put it face up (open side up) in a pan with a little water in the pan. I drizzle water, olive oil and a pinch of salt in the center. then I do a heavier drizzle of honey across the squash.

occasionally, if I'm in the mood for something sweeter I also put applesauce and cinnamon in the center. I cook it covered the whole time.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 9:06 pm
I make a sweet version.
Firstly, you need a BIG knife and a strong hand to cut it in half. You can cut it smaller after that if you want. Cut off the pointy ends to make it sit well in the pan.
You can cook it first face down in an ince of water in the microwave for about 8 minutes or in the oven for 30 min.
Then drizzle on maple syrup or honey or brown sugar, sprinkle on cinnamon, and allspice/nutmeg if you like that. You can add a drop of butter/margerine/oil too, but it's not necessary.
Bake @ 350 for another 20 min or until soft.

willow

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 4:39 am
If I want chopped apples and raisins in the center (for presentation) do I cook the apples and raisins with the squash?
Also not clear,I cook the squash (I am using butternut) face down after slicing in half?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes