Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
When you are talking to me ...

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 12:47 pm
When you are talking to me, it's rude to leave me standing there and turn to greet others. It happened several times as I was talking to someone. Sometimes I was in the middle of saying something to you. Confused

Maybe I should have walked away while you had your back turned to me ...

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 12:50 pm
sometimes it's hard for people to pay focused attention when there are others around in a busy setting ...

shlumzmum

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 12:52 pm
I have it alot when talking to a friend she's busy texting or playing a game on her cellphone.

I dont; see that it's wrong to greet other people when talking to a person.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 12:58 pm
it would actually be rude not to greet others ... even if you're talking ...

perhaps take serious talk in a quiet setting ...

not to say some people are most definitely rude ...

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
When you are talking to me, it's rude to leave me standing there and turn to greet others. It happened several times as I was talking to someone. Sometimes I was in the middle of saying something to you. Confused

Maybe I should have walked away while you had your back turned to me ...

Are you talking to me...or to her? You went from second person to third and back to second...

All kidding aside, some people are lacking in good manners...

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 2:59 pm
I'll never forget how I sat next to another woman in one of my college classes. She asked me for help and barely ever said a thank you. She only talked to her friends in the class.

Once, I came to class early, and she was the only one there. Surprise! She talked to me. All of a sudden, one of her friends came in, and even though I was in mid-sentence she turned around, and started talking to her friend and ignored me. shock

Some people are rude....others exceedingly immature. You learn what not to be like from these people.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 3:18 pm
I think its rude not to greet. Its not like she is changing conversations. Just for a brief second nodding or greeting to someone else.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 3:33 pm
A quick greeting to others is fine. If she turned and started a whole new conversation, that's rude.

lamplighter

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 3:53 pm
I think if its done casually and quickly its ok. its not really a big deal if u dont say hi, pp can respect that u were in middle of a conversation. bUt it is rude to be in middle of a conversationa dn then keep someone waitng for a while , while u ahve another one

mom71

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 4:07 pm
I HATE when that happens. I just walk away. I am so careful not to do it to other people because I know how much it hurts!

shosh

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 1:56 pm
Usually, in that situation, I give a nod, a wave, or a quick hello, and then go back to the first person I was speaking to.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 4:26 pm
My h.s. principal was amazingly skilled at including Person B in the conversation she had been having with Person A - without revealing anything private. "Hello, Person B! Person A and I were just discussing the price of tea in China."

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 12:24 pm
Nothing rude about greeting others while talking to someone? How are you noticing them if your gaze is focused on the person you are talking to?

Reminds me of something I read about a man working in a booth in a train station and it was extremely busy with people bombarding him, but he remained unfrazzled. When asked how he did it, he said he focused on one person at a time, it was the only way to maintain his sanity!

and if you happened to notice someone anyway and wanted to greet them, how about "excuse me" or "I'm sorry" afterwards?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette