Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Does your front door automatically lock?
1  2  Next

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:42 am
We just got our door fixed after 2 years of it not closing fully without using a key. Now, after a slight miscommunication with the locksmith/door fixer man, our door closes beautifully but locks you out if you're outside. I thought he'd fix the automatic part too but it turns out that is a big job. I'm scared for the kids who go in and out all day. They have a key in their backpacks, but what if their bags are inside? I'm usually home, but this means I have to give keys to all the neighbors and maybe even get one of those combination key holders to put outside.

Anyone else have this and have good advice? Winter is coming and I don't want to leave the door wide open. We live in a small Israeli yishuv so I'm not concerned about safety in keeping the door open. We have a front gate that squeaks so much, it is an announcer to whomever comes.

I really feel like I should have not fixed the door at all now. It costs a lot to fix it so that it doesn't automatically lock and we're not doing that now.

Last edited by mandksima on Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total

greentiger

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:48 am
Yes mine does and it drives me bezerk. I am always paraniod about forgetting the key when I run out. I can't imagine how much crazier it is with kids running in and out all day. I think the combination lock is a great idea. We had it as kids (my mother got it put in after one of the kids got locked out and decided to spend the morning sleeping in the parked car!) and it is really probably the safest option.

hila

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:55 am
A year or so ago, I got so fed up with kids losing/forgetting keys, that We bought one of teh push button - code locks.

it has been great !

It locks when you go out, but we all know the code. "all" being only the family.
No need to leave keys with neighbours, and no worrying if X kid has his key when out late.

On the odd occasion we awent away we used the old lock and key and our neighbour used that to come in and feed the cat.

cubbie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:07 am
Ours doesn't lock automatically, but I wish it would as dh always comes in and forgets to lock it and I hate when the door is unlocked. Both our parents have spare keys and they both live a couple of minutes away from us.

Tamiri

mandksima wrote:
We just got our door fixed after 2 years of it not closing fully without using a key. Now, after a slight miscommunication with the locksmith/door fixer man, our door closes beautifully but locks you out if you're outside. I thought he'd fix the automatic part too but it turns out that is a big job. I'm scared for the kids who go in and out all day. They have a key in their backpacks, but what if their bags are inside? I'm usually home, but this means I have to give keys to all the neighbors and maybe even get one of those combination key holders to put outside.

Anyone else have this and have good advice? Winter is coming and I don't want to leave the door wide open. We live in a small Israeli yishuv so I'm not concerned about safety in keeping the door open. We have a front gate that squeaks so much, it is an announcer to whomever comes.

I really feel like I should have not fixed the door at all now. It costs a lot to fix it so that it doesn't automatically lock and we're not doing that now.

Hide a key in the bushes and don't tell anyone about it, just your DH.

mandksima

hila wrote:
A year or so ago, I got so fed up with kids losing/forgetting keys, that We bought one of teh push button - code locks.

it has been great !

It locks when you go out, but we all know the code. "all" being only the family.
No need to leave keys with neighbours, and no worrying if X kid has his key when out late.

On the odd occasion we awent away we used the old lock and key and our neighbour used that to come in and feed the cat.

How do you install that? Did you buy it it at Ace or Home Center? Any idea how much it cost?

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:11 am
Tamiri wrote:
mandksima wrote:

Hide a key in the bushes and don't tell anyone about it, just your DH.

Well, DH and I always have our key when we're out and that will help if we're locked out accidentially but we had a spare hiding somewhere and the kids knew and I think a friend of theirs moved it/took it. If the kids don't know about it, then that doesn't help them. I hope they are mature enough to figure out the code lock and not tell others...

hila

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:19 am
I dont think you can justbuy one, and it needs installing unless you are really handy.

The guy who did is from Jerusalem - called Yosef Yomtov (how can I forget a name like that:) )
I can post the phone # this evening I have it at home.

I think it was about 700sh with installation. Not cheap, but worth it

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:27 am
hila wrote:
I dont think you can justbuy one, and it needs installing unless you are really handy.

The guy who did is from Jerusalem - called Yosef Yomtov (how can I forget a name like that:) )
I can post the phone # this evening I have it at home.

I think it was about 700sh with installation. Not cheap, but worth it

Well, this "fixing" costed 250sh and the guy said to adjust the door to not lock automatically costs 800sh so we said no way - how much does a new door cost??? Our door, bought by the previous owner, costs about 9000sh, it is anti-crook. A regular new door probably costs about 2000sh. We're really not prepared to spend anything now so a 700sh job is out.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:36 am
This was on the Chashmonaim list a while back. I guess the guy speaks English. You may want to call him to get info.

I am taking orders now for a new shipment of push button locks. Choices include
keyless entry (ideal for teenagers) or with a key override, as well as a variety
of finishes in the gold and silver tones. The locks are best installed on wood
doors, in place of the deadbolt. Anyone interested should call me at 052

Thank you, Yitzchok Schreiber (Avi's Dad)

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:01 am
We can't ever open our door without a key. Most outside doors are like that here. The doorknob doesn't turn. It's really annoying. Also if you have a key in the keyhole, you can't open it.

One year on purim we went down (apt building) to open the door and the key was in the keyhole, so we were locked out. My il's have a spare, but for a different door of our apt. To make a long story short, whenever we leave, we make sure the keys are not in the door and always triple check that we have the keys on us.

shosh

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:02 am
I haven't seen a self-locking door for years ...

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:07 am
yo'ma wrote:
Also if you have a key in the keyhole, you can't open it.

It drives my DH crazy when I leave my key in the door!!! It only happens when I'm home but when he tries getting in from work and he has to ring the bell...hmmm not a happy man!

queen

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:40 am
Our door locks automatically when closed.
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed forgot to tell a babysitter once, and she took the kids out for a walk.
BH her mother lives nearby who came to pick them up.

Our door actually has a twisty knob- meaning we can decide whether or not we want it to lock automatically. One of these days however we're going to get a combination lock that way we can say good bye to keys!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:46 am
No way! I would be locked out every five minutes. I use a number lock-best thing. Didn't touch a key in years.

smilingmom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 11:51 am
We also have the pushbutton lock. I love it! No keys to lose. A few of our neighbors have the combo, since we occasionally have people stay by our house. When we are home and awake, our door is almost always unlocked, since we are many people and often go in out. Our experience is that people (other than immediate family) knock or ring the bell before entering, even if the door is unlocked or ajar.

baba

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:04 pm
I grew up with doors that lock automatically, so when I came here and they dont, I really had to get used to it. I always felt safer knowing no one can get in and it bothers me here that it's open. Now I live in a place where it's really safe, but it bothers me that dd just opens the door and runs out (onto the stairs!). I know I can lock it with a key from the inside, but it's just a hastle. I guess it all depends on what you're used to

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:26 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

It drives my DH crazy when I leave my key in the door!!! It only happens when I'm home but when he tries getting in from work and he has to ring the bell...hmmm not a happy man!

That's funny b/c my dh always leaves his keys in the keyhole and it drives me crazy.

mamacita

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:48 pm
yo'ma wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

That's funny b/c my dh always leaves his keys in the keyhole and it drives me crazy.

He doesn't usually but when he does it is invariably when he is asleep and I need to call the house phone and buzz the buzzer to get him to let me in Tongue Out

ss321

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 7:38 pm
ours has a little "setting" you can toggle with on the inside of the door (I dont know how else to explain it), to make it either "self locking" or unlock it (and in that case, it can still be locked from the inside using the deadbolt lock, but if the buttonis "clicked" to the "unlock" setting, the doorknob will still turn if the deadbolt is locked u just cant get anywhere. I thought this was how all standard doors were made these days. my parents and in laws both have the same thing, and our apartment with basic basic appliances was the same...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics