Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chronic stomach ache

tovasmom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:57 pm
My 8 yr old ds has been complaining of a stomach ache for the last three weeks of indeterminate origin. He gets up in the morning and he is fine, he goes to school and by the time he gets home he is complaining on a daily basis that he has a (1) stomach ache, (2) that his throat is "bothering him". and sometimes that his head hurts. He has also complained in the afternoons on days where there was no school. We have been to the pediatrician twice for this and he has ruled out strep and done basic bloodwork (it was B'H fine) but has not come up with any explanation. I have called a pediatric gastro who I have used for other children for a consult, but the first appointment -- which I took -- was a month after Yom Tov is over. This kid is not the type to sit and complain all day -- not his personality -- so I am very concerned.

No constipation, he has been pretty regular. And he seems to like his Rebbe and is an easygoing kid so I would tend to doubt stress (can an 8 year old be stressed out????).

Does anyone have any good ideas to alleviate the symptoms? Also, any input?

TIA

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:32 pm
based on the fact that his stomach and throat are both bothering him, I wonder if this is acid related? can you try giving him some tums?

my cousin had inexplicable stomach pains one summer. nothing helped until he started eating lots of fresh fruits. I don't know why this helped, but it did. I don't think the doctors knew, either. but hey, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. try giving your son lots of fresh fruit.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:39 pm
my cousins daughter was complaining on and off about a stomach ache for a few months she took her to the dr. who did bloodwork which came back fine. then one morning she collapsed in school (she is 6 years old) turns out she had terrible gallstones... and needed her gallbladder removed. I would take my child for an ultrasound if he continues to complain.

tovasmom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:45 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
based on the fact that his stomach and throat are both bothering him, I wonder if this is acid related? can you try giving him some tums?

my cousin had inexplicable stomach pains one summer. nothing helped until he started eating lots of fresh fruits. I don't know why this helped, but it did. I don't think the doctors knew, either. but hey, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. try giving your son lots of fresh fruit.

We actually tried a week's trial of prevacid (my dr guessed acid also), which had no appreciable effect.

happyone

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:50 pm
Strep throat can cause stomach aches. Go to the doc and do a simple throat culture first.

tovasmom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:53 pm
happyone wrote:
Strep throat can cause stomach aches. Go to the doc and do a simple throat culture first.

Already ruled out strep (see original post). We cultured him 2X over a two week period just to be sure.

Falafel

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:53 pm
Quote:
We have been to the pediatrician twice for this and he has ruled out strep and done basic bloodwork

they've already done a T/C

mammala120

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:17 am
pinworms, stomach infection like h. pylori. .............get stool culture.
uti also causes stomach aches...............urine analysis.
to abdominal ultrasound just to be safe.
intolarance to milk...............take him off dairy for few days and see how he feels.

cumin tea made by steaping the cumin seeds or ground cumin in water and drinking it. helped me alot during s. aches.
good luck and please fill us in on the outcome. refuah shelema
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics