Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Minute steaks
1  2  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 9:49 am
I bought minute steak for chag. I'm gonna bake it in the oven instead of frying it but will use the same basic recipe/sauce. so I just need ideas for a good sauce. also, do I have to marinate it? oh and I don't really have ketchup or bbq sauce in the house or a/t but I'll buy if I have to.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 9:51 am
its a braising steak ie you need to cook it in liquid or sauce.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 9:51 am
I don't know about which sauce you should use but meat is best when tenderized and marinated (preferably overnight). Bang it a bit with the chicken pounder and then season and put in fridge for up to 12 hours.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:13 am
Raisin wrote:
its a braising steak ie you need to cook it in liquid or sauce.

so how do I do that? what do I do?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:14 am
Jam will make a great marinade/tenderizer.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 1:53 pm
someone posted a good recipe for cranberry minute steaks somewhere on here...

DREAMING

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 1:59 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
I bought minute steak for chag. I'm gonna bake it in the oven instead of frying it but will use the same basic recipe/sauce. so I just need ideas for a good sauce. also, do I have to marinate it? oh and I don't really have ketchup or bbq sauce in the house or a/t but I'll buy if I have to.

I cut up an onion and added a little olive oil and a tsp of water - mix well with some salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Place minute steaks on top of onion/spice mixture. Sprinkle a little salt/pepper/garlic powder on the steaks itself.
Bake covered for 3 or so hours.

simple but once done it it very soft and delicious.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 3:18 pm
I found it...

Cranberry Minute Steak
(Dining In, pg. 156)

1 c. whole berry cranberry sauce
2 T. onion soup mix
1 c. water
6 minute steaks

Combine cranberry sauce, onion soup mix and water. Pour mixture over steaks in 9x13 pan. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Tip: To use this recipe for a whole roast, use a 3-5 lb roast, (French roast works very well!) and double sauce recipe. Bake in large Dutch oven for 2 1/2- 3 hours.

greeneyes

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 3:26 pm
I have a delicious minute steak recipe, but it does call for ketchup.

6 slices minute steak
2 T. oil
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup

Heat oil. Add onions and meat and brown for 15-20 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for 2-3 hours, covered, until meat is very soft. Add more water if necessary.

Yum!

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 6:53 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:
I found it...

Cranberry Minute Steak
(Dining In, pg. 156)

1 c. whole berry cranberry sauce
2 T. onion soup mix
1 c. water
6 minute steaks

Combine cranberry sauce, onion soup mix and water. Pour mixture over steaks in 9x13 pan. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Tip: To use this recipe for a whole roast, use a 3-5 lb roast, (French roast works very well!) and double sauce recipe. Bake in large Dutch oven for 2 1/2- 3 hours.

I have a can of cranberry sauce (not sure which type). can I just do equal amts of crnbry sc to water?

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:19 pm
I wonder if this recipe would come out better if you brown the meat first? I usually do that with this type of meat, it is supposed to seal in the juices. Of course it is an extra step.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:31 pm
I take any marinade I have in the pantry or italian dressing, pour over the meat, add a little water. I do it in a frying pan on the stove, but you could bake it I'm sure. I find it's quick and easy on the stove, no frying involved.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:51 pm
greeneyes wrote:

6 slices minute steak
2 T. oil
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup

Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for 2-3 hours, covered, until meat is very soft. Add more water if necessary.

Yum!
Hmm, why is it called minute steak when you simmer it for 2-3 hours? Tongue Out Greeneyes, what do you serve it with?

melbee

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:01 pm
DH cooks our meat, so this is his recipe (and he doesn't hold with proper timings or measurements Rolling Eyes ) but it comes out really good!

And I quote:

Little bit of garlic, little bit of olive oil, little bit of soy sauce in a plastic bag, shake it up with the steaks and let it sit in the fridge for anywhere between 5 mins to a week and just bake it for a few minutes.

greeneyes

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 11:25 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

6 slices minute steak
2 T. oil
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup

Yum!
Hmm, why is it called minute steak when you simmer it for 2-3 hours? Tongue Out Greeneyes, what do you serve it with?

LOL Good question. It's worth the wait though, especially if you like meat cooked in a sweet sauce. Cooking it on a low flame for such a long time makes the meat really soft and delicious.

Personally I like to serve it with some sort of sweet side dish, like a sweet potato pecan bake, and some kind of vegetable, like green beans or sugar snap peas.

3Qts

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:40 pm
I have made greeneyes recipe and its really delicious. I want to make it now but would rather put it in the oven. Do you think I can do it?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:48 pm
3Qts wrote:
I have made greeneyes recipe and its really delicious. I want to make it now but would rather put it in the oven. Do you think I can do it?
Absolutely.
Place sliced onions on bottom of pan. Steaks on top. Pour sauce on top of that. Bake, tightly covered, at 350, for 2-3 hours.
I do this with other sauces and it comes out great.

3Qts

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 4:07 pm
Thanks Ramom. I do it alot with swiss steak and duck sauce but never tried minute steak but my oven is going to be on for your farfel recipe so I thought why mess with a stove top and pots! Hope it will come out just as good

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:19 pm
Let me know how it comes out. Maybe I would try it with this sauce too.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:35 pm
minute steaks in pan with soy sauce, cut up onions, and a head of garlic cloves, with black pepper and garlic powder ...

cook open covered on medium flame 40 minutes making sure the gravy stays wet or add a tablespoon or 2 of water ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics