Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Moshiach times and existing forever-does this freak you out?
1  2  Next

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:18 am
Whenever I try to envision Moshiach times, I get totally freaked thinking about the possibility of existing forever. What is forever? Forever and ever and ever and ever...? Ok on the other hand I wouldn't want to cease to exist either! That's totally freaky also. How can one cease to exist? What happens to their essence, their thoughts and feelings...?

I cannot process either concept.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:20 am
It doesn’t freak me out at all. With Bitachon, you will learn that Moshiach’s times are supposed to be fabulous. Can’t wait! See you on the other side?

First Lady

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:21 am
Gold21, Great minds think alike!! I try not to think about it though and was told that I shouldn't think into these things since we cannot understand it right now.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:28 am
Forever = oneness. There is no end, no beginning. Today, we live in a world (galut) that does not have clarity and oneness, therefore we can't process "forever". That's why we also can't truly process Hashem because He is Oneness and Forever. I think it's one of those things that we must have emunah that while now we can't comprehend such things with our finite minds, they WILL be revealed to us in the coming of Moshiach!

LibraMommy

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:33 am
And I'm freaked about the time right before Moshiach.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:36 am
We don't really know what will happen, I heard a few different versions so I just don't think about it.

Jacoby

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:36 am
omg- gold21- I'm freaked out that ur asking MY question.
it has kept me up countless nights....
and I can even tell u all the answers and explanations, but still I dont
get comforted.
the only I can do is not think about it. cuz I know that our limited galus
minds cant comprehend what forever means etc etc.
good luck. and its gonna be good. think a bout something else!

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:45 am
I also sometimes think about it, but I can't remember what I was told. Won't there be death in those times?

I once heard someone explain try to explain how long "forever" is, and THAT freaked me out. She said, imagine Madison Square Garden filled with sesame seeds. Once every thousand years, a bird comes in and takes out ONE sesame seed. How long till the Garden is emptied?

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:47 am
And I thought I was the only one with these thoughts. Glad to hear from everyone else.

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:49 am
Time is a rule of creation which is binding on all created beings. That means that we look at the world in terms of beginning and end, time. You can not expect your human mind to be fully capable of grasping something that has no end. It's against human/created nature.

Same idea can be applied to understanding the concept of past, present and future all being one in the G-dly realms.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:05 am
the whole thing freaks me out, the war we will have when moshiach will come, and all that.. I always think about it, and ask a ton of questions. The problem is, there are a ton of different interpertations out there, so it is hard to actually imagine it..

mimivan

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:12 am
It doesn't freak me out only because I assume our state of mind will be different then to accomodate the immortal status. Now it is overwhelming because we live in a different condition. Our minds perhaps will be more "open" then...

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:35 am
First of all, there is a lot of disagreement between different interpretations. Rambam and ramchol (author of mesilas yesharim) are a few examples, and I think there are others that have their own opinions.

Second of all, none of this should affect your daily life or your shmiras hamitzvos, so I wouldn't worry so tremendously about it.

Third of all, there is a difference between kibutz galiyos, ymos hamashiach, acharis hayamim, and olam habah. And the rambam and ramchal disagree tremendously as to what each of those are.

So the fact is...no one knows. Guess we're going to have to wait and find out. Wink

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:45 am
Others things freak me out even more than the time issue. Like if someone lost their spouse, then remarried, who will be their real spouse by techias hamaisim?
We cant even begin to to understand these things today. teku!

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:48 am
on the contrary ... I'm freaked out that now there is death ... and moshiach will take that away - the where did we go after life ... t'chias ha'maisim

shosh

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 2:11 am
I find the idea of living forever quite scary. In my present existence, I don't even want to get too old because the idea of being a lonely old woman terrifies me. But then, when Moshiach comes, olam hazeh will be a different place, so I'll be quite happy to live forever.

yikes!

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 2:19 am
I always thought one isn't supposed to think about these stuff so whenever it does pop into my head I try to think of something else. Yes, I am pretty terrified. Hmmm, should I think of Manolo Blahniks? Can't wear 'em, can't afford 'em.. I'll have to think of something else!

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 5:05 pm
Maya wrote:
I once heard someone explain try to explain how long "forever" is, and THAT freaked me out. She said, imagine Madison Square Garden filled with sesame seeds. Once every thousand years, a
bird comes in and takes out ONE sesame seed. How long till the Garden is emptied?

It's a variation on Rabbi Dessler's example to illustrate eternity. Picture a mountain of sand near the sea. Every 1000 years, a bird flies to the top of the mountain and removes one grain of sand and drops it in the sea. The idea is to vizualize the amount of time by breaking it down into parts, thinking of days, weeks, years, one century, two centuries, a thousand years and then the bird comes and take one grain and you start the process again.

lubaussie

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:18 am
gold21 wrote:
Whenever I try to envision Moshiach times, I get totally freaked thinking about the possibility of existing forever. What is forever? Forever and ever and ever and ever...?

OMG. I could have written your post!!!! I can't believe someone else feels this way. I was just thinking about it last night. Every time I process the thought of living forever, I start having a panic attack. My palms go sweaty, my heart starts beating, my breathing gets shallow. To me, there is no more terrifying thought than the idea of living forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever..........................................................................IT WILL NEVER STOP! Ever. Ever. We will just go on living.

BUt, just like you, I also can't envision dying. WHat's worse? I cant decide.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:42 am
I also heard that once all neshamos have come down here, then moshiach can come. I'm being selfish when I say this but I still want to have a baby before moshiach comes (I've recently had a miscarriage and can't wait to get pregnant and have a baby) if we won't have any children after because all neshamas will have been born. Am I making any sense??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics