Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shiva meals?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 4:47 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to bring for shiva meals. Do people make mostly cold/finger food, or should I do hot food? Meaty or dairy or parve? Any food I should not be bringing? It's a really tough one as someone in our community lost a father this week, and the family will be sitting shiva only after Simchat Torah.

chanagital

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 5:40 pm
I have made salads and stuff that you don't need to warm up.. I know that when I lost a loved one the last thing I wanted to do is go in the kitchen and warm something up. But on the same token I know that pple gave me dishes that needed to be warmed to... so it is a matter of preferance. But like I said I bring bagels, cream cheese, and lox with salads and the family enjoys that. I even provide milk if need be. But first I ask the family just to make sure what I give them they will eat in my community you can have the best intentions... but so might everyone else and nothing is worse then being the receving family and not eating the food that pple provided cause it was to much or not enough of the right stuff.

mamacita

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 5:55 pm
I sent a dish I knew the family liked. For this family it was a special meatloaf I make that I know they enjoyed when they were by us for shabbos. It's something that can be frozen and used whenever they need it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 4:38 pm
chanagital, mamacita, thanks very much for suggestions.
Since the family is not sitting shiva till after the holiday and it would be a short one,
I volunteer to do shabbat dinner. So I'm bringing something rather simple but in
larger quantities as the family has out-of-town relatives.

Crudite with dips, hatzilim, Schnitzels, sweet and sour Meatballs, Rice (the ones with
browned broken noodles), carrot salad, israeli salad, simple fruit salad.
Decided not to bring soup (a bit too messy) and skip dessert/pastry.
Most of them should freeze well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus