Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Best hair-coverings to cover all hair
1  2  3  Next

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 5:42 pm
What do you think are the best hair-coverings that cover all of your hair (that aren't a shaitel)?

Please answer only if you are makpid to cover all your hair. I don't want this to turn into a debate about halacha or a discussion about the prettiest or most comfortable, etc.

Thanks in advance. 8)

ETA: Please be specific. Not just "snoods" or "Israeli tichels". Specific companies, styles, etc.

Hello Kitty

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 5:45 pm
snood should do

mamacita

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 5:53 pm
I like a wide cotton headband under a cotton tichel or a cotton beret (lemonheads brand? It's been my fave lately.

In fact the wide cotton headband has helped under my sheitel also so no frizzlies come out.

sarahnurit

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 6:06 pm
If you want to wear a scarf or a tichel, I would wear one of those tight t-shirt material cotton snoods underneath, so that the above headcovering will not slip; otherwise, crocheted snoods can be worn in a way that covers all the hair, same for tichels...it also dipends on the shape of your hairline...

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 7:52 pm
I am mapkid to cover every hair and I don't wear sheitels except for job interviews.

I've found that what works best is to use one of the underscarves Muslim women wear (they are these cotton bonnet things). I know some people may have hashkafic issues with this, but my rav ok-ed it.

The ones I buy are found here.

http://www.almuhajabat.com/products/318

http://www.almuhajabat.com/products/319

I then ties whatever scarf I like over it. I leave the end of my scarf hanging down, so it looks more like a mantilla or veil so that it covers my neck hairs and the back of my hair.

chanagital

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 8:00 pm
I go for the loose snood look and hope I don't have to look down...or I put a wig cap on under my scarves to hold it back and a tight fitting snood that covers all my hair a plain white snood usually with a scarf on top. I tie the scarf losely as to cover the back hair with tasles or other such things. It just depends on the snoods fit as to which I prefer I try them on in a dressing room or something similar before buying much of the time. I like the Israely loose crochet ones... but am not parshal to any one way of doing it... I only know that my dh won't let me wear shettals so I don't. I have all kinds of hats too. Most are oversized to cover everything like a wool ski cap. Or I wear it with another type of head covering like a tichel if it is like a straw hat. I have also used a shaver after I have put on a head covering to cut my hair as to not expose it in the back cause I got long hair that is constantly in a pony.

Last edited by chanagital on Thu, Oct 16 2008, 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 8:02 pm
Oh, also, my hair is chin-length right now, and I put it up in two side-by-side pigtails on the back of my head before the covering goes on.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 8:15 pm
Different people have different needs -- for me a large cut snood wouldn't work as it would slip off from being too big, for others it might be too small.
Material wise, I have found lycra-based coverings to slip very easily.
Lately I've been wearing pretied tichels with 2 longer ties (instead of 3 short ones), folded under a medium width headband (Goody's Stay Put line)...chenille snoods also work well for me until a few months of daily wear. Snoods with adjustable elastic are also very doable.
For me, hats never worked nor snoods of plain cotton that can't be adjusted.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:07 pm
if I were to cover my hair - I would go for the stretchie doorags - looks like a bathing cap ... would keep the hair snug and non-frizzing no matter what you decide to cover it with ...

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:45 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
I am mapkid to cover every hair and I don't wear sheitels except for job interviews.

I've found that what works best is to use one of the underscarves Muslim women wear (they are these cotton bonnet things). I know some people may have hashkafic issues with this, but my rav ok-ed it.

I then ties whatever scarf I like over it. I leave the end of my scarf hanging down, so it looks more like a mantilla or veil so that it covers my neck hairs and the back of my hair.

Wow! It looks like they cover the side hairs ('payos') also! Is that really true?

What kind of scarves do you wear that it adequately covers your neck hairs?

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:51 pm
I have become makpid to cover every last hair and I find that the stretchy, pre-tied bandanas are great. You have to wear them a bit over your ears though and tie them in the back on top of the elastic piece so they stay tight. But I find that I tie it once in the morning and I'm basically good for the whole day of activity (I work with children). Try to avoid the very slippery material though - the best is the stretchy lycra type (I think that's what it is.. ?)

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:57 pm
They do cover payos and everything--if you are willing to have the top of your ears covered too--not an issue for me, but it might be for some.

As for the scarves I use to cover my neck--I take a square scarf, usually at least 24 inches square and fold it in half diagonally. I place the long side of the triangle on top of my head, leaving the point in the middle of my back and two sides hanging. I take those two edges and being them back and tie them at the nape of my neck, leaving the rest of the headscarf hanging.

Basically, I tie my scarf like this, only with a single scarf plus the underscarf cap. I also don't fold over the front like in step 3.

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/butterfly.pl

The setup works beautifully for me; I've got some lovely silk scarves I picked up in various places, and they look great hanging down--it really shows off the pattern. I've been meaning to go to a fabric store and buy some nice yardage to make my own scarves for a while now.I've never gotten around to it.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:58 pm
My sister in law wears berets. They cover all her hair. I think she puts it over her ears so it covers the sides too.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:59 pm
Also, both cap styles work well, but I personally find that these are a bit more secure.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 10:00 pm
Wow! Thank you so much!

Seraph

Post Fri, Oct 17 2008, 2:59 am
I find that snoods with knots are best at covering everything, including peyos. like this:

I find crocheted ones have elastics that make it uncomfortable to put them in front of your ears, so peyos arent covered.

looser berets (that hang down a bit in the back) are also good options for covering everything. they cover peyos and neck hair.

Newsie

Post Fri, Oct 17 2008, 3:07 am
I like pre-tied bandanas with elastic to cover everything and I also wear those underneath regular tichels so they won't slip back.

rachel19977

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:29 pm
LEMON makes great hats now in Israel. They are having a great sale on CAPS 2 for 35 shekels, or the regular denim kind that comes in black, dark denim and light denim... 1 for 30 shekels.

You can wear the underscarfs that they sell in the hat stores, and put cap under, they cover all my hair and I cut off the "neck hairs" and the "payos", even if my hair is light.

When it comes to mitpachats, I wear the thin ones with the stripes, only 10 shekels, and to cover all the hairs they most parts of my ears are covered besides the earring area, and the forehead is half covered too. It's great it covers the wrinkles too! heh!

Lemon has a website, but I can't find it, I have the phone number to call and ask, but I haven't!

Good luck, and if you want me to ship you any of their hats let me know, I have pictures I took of the caps and tichels. I'm already shipping to friends and family in NY/FL!

cookielady

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:50 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:

I think I would have an issue with buying stuff made in Syria.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 5:35 pm
cookielady wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:

I think I would have an issue with buying stuff made in Syria.

*shrugs* Ask your LOR. If you don't have a problem buying from Muslims in general, you may be able to find another hijab shop that sells scarves manufactured in China or something. Google "hijab underscarf" if that's the case. Almost all Muslim women wear these under their hijabs, so they're sold almost everywhere.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels