Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Whole pumpkin

avimom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 4:52 pm
We went to the farm today and picked whole pumpkins. how can I use them for a yom tov side dish?

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 4:57 pm
I roast them whole - then serve in chunks

OR: a recipe I just saw on ?? website (sorry can't remember which one) called for pumpkin stew - cut out the top and remove seeds and stringy bits, fills with root veggies, onions, meat, seasonings (I like to add cloves and cinnamon and a little maple in the seasonings) - slow bake - 3-4 hours at 325 - be sur eto wrap the bottom of the pumpkins in foil as they tend to soften too much to then lift off the pan! When you serve scoop out the stew with large chunks of pumpkin - ok, so this one is a meal not a side dish!

avimom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 5:14 pm
thanks, anything else that's better for a side dish?

JC

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 5:39 pm
I grew up thinking pumpkins were not kosher- pumkin seeds were kosher, but not pumpkins <g>

My MIL also thought that when she was a kid Smile

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 5:46 pm
I made a squash that's very similar to pumpkin, except that it's green on the shell. It was delicious! simply mashed it with honey and cinnamon, and served in scoops with stir fry vegetables separately, together with kugel and chicken,it looked nice.

avimom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 7:17 pm
I think I'll just do that. thanks!

anonymom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 10:51 pm
I made pumpkin soup. Saute carrots, onion, garlic and pumpkin. Cover with water plus a little more. Add salt, pepper and chicken flavor soup mix. Cook a while, then puree. It's delicious. Oh- the original recipe said to add cream. It will be much richer, but unneccesary and not for a fleishig Yom Tov meal.

anonymom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 11:01 pm
Oh, and don't forget to roast the seeds. At my sons' suggestion I added a little oil and salt.

My sons also had fun in the kitchen and wanted to make a pumpkin pie by themselves. It came out great. It can be served as a side dish, although it's sweet.

ihyphenated

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 11:23 pm
mollie katzen's "the enchanted broccoli forest" has a great recipe for a soup that you cook inside a whole pumpkin and then bring to the table inside the pumpkin.

greenfire

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 11:26 pm
or you can always make a pumpkin pie ... Mr. Green just boil the pumpkin in chunks and add the usual fixings
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes