Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anti-Semitism in Grade School

frumluv

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 12:23 pm
This is such a shame. It's amazing how prejudice, discrimination, racism, etc. is learned by young kids Sad

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/vid......ksdk

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 12:35 pm
I clicked on it and watched an anti-Taliban march.

At any rate, if you want to hear about racism in school, you can also read some Imamother posts, where nice Jewish kiddies are taught some horrible things about non-Jews.

I agree with your point. Teaching terrible things to little kids is awful.

frumluv

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 12:40 pm
Oh, should've been a story about a school in I believe Missouri that kids had a "hit a yid day" (they didn't use yid of course).

Yes Clarrisa, I've seen some not nice things written about non-jews, and other groups. Just shameful!

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 12:50 pm
Hit a Yid day? How disgusting! I've been to parts of rural Missouri where they never, ever see Jews, and do comment on it, although I've only run across one terrible anti-Semite there, that I knew of.

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 1:45 pm
This was local for me. It was NOT a rural area, but an area with a large Jewish population. Very shocking - one of ds's friends has a brother in that school and is covered with bruises from the incident. I wonder if the parents are rethinking their choice to take him out of the Jewish school this year.

Last edited by chavamom on Fri, Oct 24 2008, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 1:46 pm
http://blogs.usatoday.com/onde......html

supermama2

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 2:12 pm
I wish I could have been surprised to hear about this..you know, as history goes, economic problems = antisemitism. More people will lose money when/if Obama gets elected and it could get worse.

Barbara

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 2:45 pm
SarahO. wrote:
I wish I could have been surprised to hear about this..you know, as history goes, economic problems = antisemitism. More people will lose money when/if Obama gets elected and it could get worse.

Oh, please. Let's attribute this to Obama. Or maybe we should attribute it to the failed policies of the Republicans, McCain included.

Better yet, let's place the blame where it belongs. On ignorance and bigotry in our society. On the same people who wouldn't vote for Obama because his middle name in *Hussein* On people who won't vote for him because he's black. On people who WILL vote for him BECAUSE he's black, or because his middle name is Hussein. On people who won't vote for McCain because he selected a woman for his running mate. On people who will vote for McCain because he did. Sadly, it crosses party lines.

I'm really disturbed by the story. I'm equally disturbed by the knee-jerk *let's teach the kids about the Holocaust* response of the school. Hitting Jews isn't wrong because of the Holocaust. Its wrong because its wrong, just like hitting blacks because they're black is wrong, or hitting Irish people because they're Irish is wrong.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 3:02 pm
Well said, Barbara.

eta: If Obama wins, will we be seeing posts in which people blame their burnt kugels, need for root canals, flat tires, waxy yellow buildup on kitchen floors and varicose veins on Obama? I'd rather know right now, so I can start shopping for another site.

supermama2

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 3:28 pm
[quote="Barbara"]
SarahO. wrote:

Oh, please. Let's attribute this to Obama. Or maybe we should attribute it to the failed policies of the Republicans, McCain included.

I am not attributing this isolated incidend to Obama himself. I am looking at the bigger picture at what things may look like after this next election.

....and please I wish people wouldn't take my posts so personally... Tongue Out

Gut Shabbos Very Happy

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 3:32 pm
Yes, things might be bad. There might be anti-Semitic incidents for the first time in history. Vote for the other guy, and there will never be hatred directed against Jews!

If you don't want to be taken seriously, say you're joking.

supermama2

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 3:37 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Yes, things might be bad. There might be anti-Semitic incidents for the first time in history. Vote for the other guy, and there will never be hatred directed against Jews!

If you don't want to be taken seriously, say you're joking.

I never said that we would be problem free w/ McCain Confused I just think the other option will bring on problems sooner than later, that's all.

I didn't say "seriously" I said "personally" Wink

avigayil

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 3:42 pm
From what I read, the Jewish student population is actually very low.
Either way, it gives us a good indicator as to what as to what the barometer is out there.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 3:43 pm
I misread that as personally. Sorry. But you really don't think people are taking the posts personally, do you? Certain comments may be thought of as offensive, but that doesn't mean anybody is personalizing anything.

Fox

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:01 pm
Clarissa wrote:
If Obama wins, will we be seeing posts in which people blame their burnt kugels, need for root canals, flat tires, waxy yellow buildup on kitchen floors and varicose veins on Obama?

Oh, wow! Here I thought my lousy kugels were just a result of being a bad cook?! And I thought my root canals were because of the lousy teeth I received from my father! Flat tires I had attributed to wear-and-tear from Chicago winters, and my kitchen floor doesn't know from wax . . . but now you're telling my I can blame it on Obama? Hooray! And because he's from Chicago, does that mean my kugels will be even worse than someone living on the East Coast? I hadn't planned to vote for him, but if he's willing to take responsibility for all these problems, I'll definitely reconsider!

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 6:16 pm
Barbara wrote:
SarahO. wrote:

Not to mention that these were SIXTH GRADERS who probably aren't terribly aware of the performance of their parents' 401K.

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 6:17 pm
avigayil wrote:
From what I read, the Jewish student population is actually very low.
Either way, it gives us a good indicator as to what as to what the barometer is out there.

I don't know where you read it, but this is one of the localities where the local day school draws from. The Jewish population is a *significant* minority of the school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics