Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What's with the onion soup mix?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 10:06 pm
octopus wrote:

Please post!

There ya go. Wink (From Hershey's Kitchens)

HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

...and here's the frosting...

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 10:07 pm
Thanks! Very Happy

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 10:09 pm
No prob. I've made it Parve with soymilk instead of milk and it's just as good.

Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 10:14 pm
yikes! wrote:
I stopped using onion soup mix since it has MSG. Does anyone know if there's a brand out there without MSG? My chicken cholent just aint the same without it!

Yes, if they are kosher lepesach. We buy a year's supply around Pesach time (but reading the above inspires me to try curry powder and balsamic vinegar instead!)

waterbottle

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 10:52 pm
Because onion soup mix has MSG which will make just about make anything taste good while secretly poisoning you! Leave it out ladies!

yikes!

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 11:14 pm
Orchid wrote:
yikes! wrote:
I stopped using onion soup mix since it has MSG. Does anyone know if there's a brand out there without MSG? My chicken cholent just aint the same without it!

Yes, if they are kosher lepesach. We buy a year's supply around Pesach time (but reading the above inspires me to try curry powder and balsamic vinegar instead!)

Thanks! I'll check it out when Pesach comes (HELPPPPP!!! We still have some time for that, don't we?).

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 11:32 pm
yikes! wrote:
Orchid wrote:
yikes! wrote:

Thanks! I'll check it out when Pesach comes (HELPPPPP!!! We still have some time for that, don't we?).

Many stores carry it all year round too. Liebers, yellow round containers, (not oval). Look for it.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 11:53 pm
Just make sure to check for other names of MSG in the ingredients.
They all have MSG, even if they say they don't. What else would give such a flavor?

mummiedearest-
I use flax seeds, coriander, turmeric for a nice yellow color, basil, parsley flakes, Italian seasoning, oregano, onion and garlic powders, mustard powder, paprika, cayenne pepper... I just go to the spice section and take what looks interesting! Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 12:57 am
how ironic. I usually NEVER use onion soup mix EVER! and davka last week I made a rice with it and now I'm hooked...uh oh!

btw some good combos are curry powder and cumin; cumin and tumeric; cumin, tumeric, and curry; paprika and cumin. put cumin with anything. I love it! also, ground coriander (my secret weapon) goes well with many things because it has a subtle, fragrant taste.

Leah254

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 5:00 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
No prob. I've made it Parve with soymilk instead of milk and it's just as good.

yes that was the one. I've also made it with OJ when I ran out of soymilk.

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 11:23 am
Thank you for posting the recipe Lady Godiva! Smile

About the onion soup mix....there is a new Osem one that says "all natural ingredients" on it...I believe it has no msg and is pareve.

Also curry, is actually a combination of spices (not a spice itself), and if you want to get really adventurous and have more variety in your cooking you can buy the ingredients of curry and play around with what you like best. The main ingredients should read: tumeric (the part that makes it yellow - comes from a root that looks like ginger but skinnier), coriander, red chili powder and cumin.
The only thing I advise is to go sparingly on the tumeric at first until you know your tastes since it can be strong.

I am a big fan of spices and I also reccomend having rosemary, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, a fresh pepper grinder (makes such a difference - really try it!), ginger etc in your spice rack.

Another note about indian food, most are a base of oil, when the oil is heated add finely chopped onions, garlic and ginger, fry for a bit, then add spices for a second, then add whatever main ingredients you are using. I learned Indian cooking directly from the source so any questions can pm me Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:45 pm
In the kitchen wrote:

About the onion soup mix....there is a new Osem one that says "all natural ingredients" on it...I believe it has no msg and is pareve.

Just checked, and that's the onion soup mix I have! I love the osem soup mixes - chicken, beef, mushroom, onion. And you're right - no MSG and parve!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:49 pm
next ingredient I hate:

MARGARINE.

I'm waiting to see a recipe that involves mayo, onion soup mix, and margarine. I know it's out there, and someone probably makes it every week for shabbos.

I hate parve ice cream because it's mostly margarine. I can taste the margarine in it. eww.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 10:21 pm
I love onion soup mix. It's just the right combination of zesty and nutty.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 10:49 pm
marina wrote:
I love onion soup mix. It's just the right combination of zesty and nutty.
You talking about the edible onion soup mix? LOL

marina

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 11:00 pm
what other kind is there Twisted Evil

poemmom

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 8:39 am
mummiedearest wrote:
next ingredient I hate:

MARGARINE.

I'm waiting to see a recipe that involves mayo, onion soup mix, and margarine. I know it's out there, and someone probably makes it every week for shabbos.

I hate parve ice cream because it's mostly margarine. I can taste the margarine in it. eww.

Oh, you must mean my delicious onion kugel!

1 cup margarine
1 packet onion soup mix
1/2 c. mayo
1 c. pareve creamer
1 Tbs. ketchup
Salt, pepper, and MSG to taste -- I like it salty!

Blend together and bake at 350 for 1 hr. Make an extra because your guests will ask for more!

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 9:29 am
poemmom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
next ingredient I hate:

MARGARINE.

Oh, you must mean my delicious onion kugel!

1 cup margarine
1 packet onion soup mix
1/2 c. mayo
1 c. pareve creamer
1 Tbs. ketchup
Salt, pepper, and MSG to taste -- I like it salty!

Blend together and bake at 350 for 1 hr. Make an extra because your guests will ask for more!

LOL!!

Seriously, I cannot stand the chemical taste of this stuff....I haven't used it since forever, and I don't miss it.

Read the ingredients next time you pick up the container. Even if they omit the MSG, they add other, equally unhealthy, chemically-altered food that is as far from a raw onion as the moon from the earth. Twisted Evil

Aidelmom

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 9:35 am
I think the point of onion soup mix was to substitute for fried onions which tons of recipes called for so you can turn it around and use fried onions instead.

I've never heard of margarine in pareve ice cream. My recipe calls for eggs and whip.

birdstar

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 6:01 pm
instead of parve ice cream get sorbet from Trader Joes ( I think the brand is Nancys) It is parve and all natural and wonderful. I like mixing the coconut and the lemon sorbet together.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes