Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Taking Challah question

amother

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 3:02 pm
When you take Challah, what do you do with it? Growing up, my mother always put it in the freezer and Erev Pesach it was burned with the Chometz. My husband says burning it isn't necessary, as long as you do something which renders it inedible, I.e. throwing it into the garbage.

Anyone ever heard this?

Thanks! and Good Shabbos!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 3:13 pm
it's holy though. just throwing it away isn't kovod. you shoudl wrap it in somethuing first. and you have to make sure nothing uses it, that's why we burn it first.

1stimer

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 2:25 pm
I double wrap it and burn it in the oven.

supermom

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 3:29 pm
never heard of putting it in the freezer?!?!? where did your mother come up with this idea from?

shoy18

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 6:10 pm
I bake it in the oven until its completly hard as a rock or burnt then I throw it away

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 6:25 pm
I put it in the freezer if there's no time to burn it right away.
Usually when I'm taking Challah it's erev shabbos, and both ovens are already going, in constant use. You are not allowed to burn it (together with something else that is cooking) while something else is in the oven .I.e. you wouldn't be permitted to use that food afterward, just as we are not allowed to derive hana'ah(benefit) from the piece of(hafrashas) Challah itself.

At some point then, the following week, I'll take it out and burn it.

Our Rav says that it is permitted to use the oven to burn it, as long as , as above, nothing else is being baked with it at the time.

But I think there might be some opinions that don't allow using the oven that is used for cooking, so maybe that is why the woman in question is saving it to be burned Erev Pesach. Erev Pesach we burn alot of things that were used for a mitzvah, like lulavim, hoshaanas, wicks from the Chanukah licht.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 2:57 pm
Could be. I don't think I"d like storing all that challah so close to Pesach, though. I do shopping early and that's all I need, with my luck, all that chometz around that needs to be burned.......
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen