Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
No more racism threads
1  2  Next

Yael

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:28 am
I am officially amending the rules to say that threads discussing racism (even threads condemning racism) will not be allowed or tolerated from now on, on Imamother.
These threads cause too much pain and hurt to some of our valued members, and none of us want that.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:31 am
Right on!

frumluv

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:33 am
Thank you very much Yael!

mimivan

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:39 am
I just hope it isn't too late...that we haven't lost a member permanently over this..

Thanks Yael...

daamom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:45 pm
Ditto, Mimivan. I am very upset by that. I hope we didn't lose her.
Thank you very much, Yael, I thought that was thoughtful and caring.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:50 pm
Can't stand when people say "you're not jewish, you're too white" or even jews calling me shikse because (heaven forbid) I have blond hair, green eyes and a very pale skin.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:52 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Can't stand when people say "you're not jewish, you're too white" or even jews calling me shikse because (heaven forbid) I have blond hair, green eyes and a very pale skin.

Doesn't this sound like a condemning racisim thread?

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:53 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Doesn't this sound like a condemning racisim thread?

This is the first time I post it.

daamom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:56 pm
Guys, lets just give it up right now before it starts all over again. Period. No more discussion...

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 1:34 pm
Okey dokey. Never mind my last post then as I guess the whole dialogue is about to be erased.

Zus

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 1:44 pm
Indeed.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 11:56 pm
please define racism or anti racism. I dont get how being mistaken for a non jew because you are blond and green eyed is racism. I doubt it is even racism if someone thinks someone black is not jewish because they are black. both might be uncommon, but it is not racism to base a first impression on your own experience. I mean, in the ethiopian community, I bet they had a hard time believing all the white people they met were jewish

I have two blonde haired, blue eyed halachically, genetically, historically, (I have ketubahs dating back to the 1800's for ancestors) jewish kids, and all I know is that when I was a kid and learned about the shoah, I wished I would have blond blue eyed kids in case there was another hitler, yemach shemo.

anyways, I seem to have missed whatever the racism thread was, so please define it for me so I don't inadvertently say or do something wrong.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 3:45 am
I have no idea why this is a thread, I obviously missed the issue that brought it about. I'm guessing someone had the bright idea of trying to figure out how many WASP-y types, Latinas, Blacks, Gerim, over 50-s, under 10-s etc there are in imamother. I missed it all, B"H.

True racism (ie hating someone because of race, religion, color etc) is always wrong. But what about disagreement over ISSUES between people? How often, especially with a bi-racial President (am I allowed to say that?) are people accused of racism simply because they disagree with someone whose ethnic origin or color isn't theirs?

IMO we need to get back to basics: sensitivity towards hurting people's feelings, acting like a mentch & stop being so PC all the time. Why are we being gagged & muzzled, a la Communism? BTW, I don't actually mean here on imamother, I mean in society generally, although I am sometimes puzzled why some threads stay & others go, but that's for another discussion. I can't stand Obama (I think he's incompetent & untruthful.) I hate his politics. Why, then, does that make me a racist? I despised Ted Kennedy too.

Oy, life used to be so simple.

Zus

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 3:55 am
Racism is calling names ("shwartza", "[N word]") or saying derogatory things about people with a different race, religion, nationality OR BACKGROUND.
Yes this counts for BTs and gerim as well.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 4:07 am
People on Imamother actually called each other these names & picked on others for their background? Directly? shock I'm really naive, aren't I? I never imagined.... Crying Are we back in the schoolyard fighting over the monkey bars? WOW!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 4:11 am
Quote:
Racism is calling names ("shwartza", "[N word]")
imo, also pointing fingers and calling someone "racist" for innocent reference to oh, never mind.
bubby wrote:
How often, especially with a bi-racial President (am I allowed to say that?) are people accused of racism simply because they disagree with someone whose ethnic origin or color isn't theirs?
No, you aren't allowed to say that, you racist you. Uh- oh, now I'm a racist. Rolling Eyes Truthfully, I don't know why this thread has been bumped, all it's going to do is stir controversy and wake up the bullies. Is there nothing else to talk about?

Zus

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 4:55 am
Someone asked an honest question.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:05 am
the problem as I see it - is that people are desensitized to certain words simply because they are so used to hearing them ...

derogatory and racial slurs are the same regardless of why you say them and whether or not you were taught that they are indeed offending ...

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:52 pm
wow I am so glad to live in canada. not only can we get along without a government, we also know that using words like that is totally inappropriate. I don't get what is rascist about gers and balei tshuva though. that is religious, not racial. I speak as a baalat teshuva who holds gerim in very high regard.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 2:19 pm
Wow, Canada has no government? I didn't know that. What I do know though is that the 9/11 terrorists entered through Canada. Such a nice tolerant neighborhood, getting along with all types.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics