Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Call waiting

Ima2

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 10:06 pm
I have been bothered by this for a while. I think that call waiting is really a very rude invention. In high school, my best friend didn't have call waiting b/c they thought it was rude and I thought they were crazy! Now I totally understand what they meant! I was talking to my SIL and mid sentence she said oh hold on , I have another call...she got back to me and said, sorry I really have to take this one, it's the pple coming for shabbos and we hung up. I mean, I was in the middle of telling her about something that happened that day! She is usually a very thoughtfull person and never would do anything to hurt anyone's feelings, but I guess she doesn't see anything wrong with doing that! I was talking to her first! I woul understand if it was an emergency, but couldn't those pple wait 5 minutes? I like call waiting if I'm the one calling the person so I know that they're home, but talking to someone else right now, but to hang up with the first person's conversation to talk to someone else??!!!! Am I not important?! Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

cheerios

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 10:50 pm
That's why I like caller id. You can see who it is and if it's important, you call them back when you're done the first convo.

SingALong

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 10:51 pm
I feel this way too. that's why I arranged my phone that instead of a busy signal ppl get to voicemail so if I am on the phone I do not need to pick up I can check the message when im done or just call them back since I see them on caller id.
however, if I am desperately trying to reach someone and they finally call back while im on the phone with someone else I will apologize 2 who im talking to that I need to call them back. I rarely pick up when im on the phone with my parents/inlaws

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 21 2008, 11:54 am
Ima2, I'm with you 1000%. a device that was invented to make it possible for people in great need to get through to people who talk a lot--has been converted to an enormous rudeness factory. the correct use of CW if it's not an emergency is to tell the second caller "I'm on the line but will get back to you as soon as I'm done," NOT to drop the first caller in favor of the second.

raizy

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 12:22 am
it can work both ways. if it is my mother on call waiting I usally pick up. but if I am talking to my mother and my doc calls I tell my mom in advance that I am gona pick up an important phone call. friends understand that. my mother understands that I have to pick up the phone.etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette