Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Arranged--The Movie
1  2  3  4  5  Next

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:17 pm
Has anyone else seen it? I though it was absolutely adorable.

http://www.arrangedthemovie.com/

marina

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:19 pm
I also saw it, a while ago, very cute.

anuta

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:26 pm
where can one see it?

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:28 pm
I watched it online somewhere, let me see if I can track down the link...

rivk241

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:30 pm
I know the girl that directed the movie- its kindof hard to believe a frum jewish girl directed a movie- the movie was okay

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:31 pm
Found it!

http://static.youku.com/v/swf/.....wAd=0

anuta

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:32 pm
Thank you! I 'll watch it tonight...

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:34 pm
rivk241 wrote:
I know the girl that directed the movie- its kindof hard to believe a frum jewish girl directed a movie- the movie was okay

Why is it so hard to believe?

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:50 pm
It seems interesting. The movie is loading, whenever it's far enough I will watch it.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:14 pm
So far from what I have seen it's very politically correct multi-cultural kind of nonsense and islam promotion... sorry.. from europe.. too much of this stuff over the years............ but I will watch the movie I am interested in the story of the jewish gal.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:20 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
So far from what I have seen it's very politically correct multi-cultural kind of nonsense and islam promotion... sorry.. from europe.. too much of this stuff over the years............ but I will watch the movie I am interested in the story of the jewish gal.

Frankly, it didn't touch on any of the religious/political issues much. It dealt with two girls going through similar experiences in their lives. If you watch their movie's "making of" video, the movie is about an experience the frum director had in her own life.

I'm sick of every positive portrayal of Muslim being dismissed as politically correct nonsense. There are Muslims in the world who want to do terrible things. There are also the Muslims who are my friends, who I invite over for dinner. The existence of one does not begate the existence of the other. And the fact that I have Muslims over to my house does not means that I don't believe that Arab terrorism poses a real, constant and terrifying threat to Israel, Jew and America.

I have more in comon, in many ways, with the religious Muslims I know than with secular people. They understand what it means to live a religiously constrained life.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:35 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Frankly, it didn't touch on any of the religious/political issues much. It dealt with two girls going through similar experiences in their lives. If you watch their movie's "making of" video, the movie is about an experience the frum director had in her own life.

I'm sick of every positive portrayal of Muslim being dismissed as politically correct nonsense. There are Muslims in the world who want to do terrible things. There are also the Muslims who are my friends, who I invite over for dinner. The existence of one does not begate the existence of the other. And the fact that I have Muslims over to my house does not means that I don't believe that Arab terrorism poses a real, constant and terrifying threat to Israel, Jew and America.

I have more in comon, in many ways, with the religious Muslims I know than with secular people. They understand what it means to live a religiously constrained life.
Thank you. I've posted similar things here.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:43 pm
Look, you guys are from the states. I get your point of view, however in europe it's different. With a population in large cities of almost 50% in certain cases, the situation there is very problematic. It started with talking so nice and tolerating like you are doing now. Now, they demand more and more, most don't work and live a comfortable life on our tax money. Some of their kids do well however most are very bad. High crime rates, no respect for others, lots of vandalism, robbery and harassment of non muslim girls.
Lots of anti-western sentiment. Wearing a kippa is for them reason enough to beat someone down or worse, to kill him. Jewish institutions need to have big fences and police security 24/7.... anti jewish graffiti, disturbance of jewish / holocaust remembering days (playing soccer with the flowers, molesting throwing eggs at people attending), swearin, spitting.... it's a daily reality. Hamas hamas hamas all jews to the gas is a very popular tune among them.

Yes there are some nice ones among them, though the vast majority are not.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:47 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Look, you guys are from the states. I get your point of view, however in europe it's different. With a population in large cities of almost 50% in certain cases, the situation there is very problematic. It started with talking so nice and tolerating like you are doing now. Now, they demand more and more, most don't work and live a comfortable life on our tax money. Some of their kids do well however most are very bad. High crime rates, no respect for others, lots of vandalism, robbery and harassment of non muslim girls.
Lots of anti-western sentiment. Wearing a kippa is for them reason enough to beat someone down or worse, to kill him. Jewish institutions need to have big fences and police security 24/7.... anti jewish graffiti, disturbance of jewish / holocaust remembering days (playing soccer with the flowers, molesting throwing eggs at people attending), swearin, spitting.... it's a daily reality. Hamas hamas hamas all jews to the gas is a very popular tune among them.

Yes there are some nice ones among them, though the vast majority are not.

I'm well aware of the situation in Europe. (Out of curiosity, where are you originally from; I know the most about the situation in France.)

But to extrapolate from that the nautre of the rest of the world's Muslims or to assume that a small film made by an independent production company based in the US is supposed to be demanding tolerance for European Muslims is more than a little absurd.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:49 pm
I am not saying that's the films' purpose, I am rather saying I have seen just a little too much feel good - good news propaganda to see this.

I am not from France, I am from a more yekishe country.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 3:15 pm
I saw this months ago and I think the message is positive. Despite our differences, if we look to our similarities, it can enrich all of our lives.

This is why I belong to an interfaith moms forum (very small) where I am privileged to count Muslim women among my friends.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 4:18 pm
I just finished watching it - Thanks for the link am. Ok I enjoyed it though it was rather strange.

questions
Whats with the white socks???
Why does it look like there are seforim (the pink ones) in the college library?
I don't know if I like the image of us being so alike muslims.
Her first date attire did not look like normal wear for a date
When she met the shadchan what was with the pink headband - is that normal anywhere for a girl that age??
The disco scene was really strange - she gets sucked in so fast. One minute she's this pious girl with her tehilim at the kefarim and next shes at the party..
I liked that last scene where they're sitting and talking. aww I like a happy ending.
The shadchan scene seemed stereotypical and tacky - and whats with the obsession with what people do for a lifing? Where I come from you talk about midos and yiras shamayim first.

sorry one key on my keyboard is broken.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 4:21 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
I just finished watching it - Thanks for the link am. Ok I enjoyed it though it was rather strange.

questions
Whats with the white socks???
Why does it look like there are seforim (the pink ones) in the college library?
I don't know if I like the image of us being so alike muslims.
Her first date attire did not look like normal wear for a date
When she met the shadchan what was with the pink headband - is that normal anywhere for a girl that age??
The disco scene was really strange - she gets sucked in so fast. One minute she's this pious girl with her tehilim at the kefarim and next shes at the party..
I liked that last scene where they're sitting and talking. aww I like a happy ending.
The shadchan scene seemed stereotypical and tacky - and whats with the obsession with what people do for a lifing? Where I come from you talk about midos and yiras shamayim first.

sorry one key on my keyboard is broken.

1. I'd wear what she wore for a date, but then I never dated in a frum community.
2. My college library has seforim; it wouldn't be at all unreasonable for a university library to have them. Academic scholars of Jewish Studies reference them.
3. I've never met a shadchan, so I have no clue what they're like. I admit this one seemed a bit like Yentl.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 4:25 pm
I'm a little confused about rochels parents. The father looks like a mainstream frum guy, but the mother is wearing a white tichel at the shabbos table. I thought that was a chassidic custom?

The school principle - I've met people like her!

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 4:27 pm
Raisin wrote:
I'm a little confused about rochels parents. The father looks like a mainstream frum guy, but the mother is wearing a white tichel at the shabbos table. I thought that was a chassidic custom?

The school principle - I've met people like her!

I never knew that was a Chanssidishe minghag. I've worn a white tichel to Shabbos before if it matches the outfit.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics