Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I'm remodeling my kitchen
1  2  Next

juggler

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 2:50 pm
I'm remodeling my kitchen and putting in an island, does anyone have advice with what they are very happy with or would never do again in their kitchen? If you had your dream kitchen (which I won't, but we can at least dream...) what would you include?

queen

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 3:56 pm
put small lights under the cabinets directly over the counter top. they are great, my mother has them!!!

mother48

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 4:38 pm
make sure to have an outlet put in. then can use blenders etc...

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:10 pm
Quote:
put small lights under the cabinets directly over the counter top.

Great idea, for checking too Salut

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:27 pm
my sinks are catycorner, at opposite sides of one wall. The sink cutouts for this reason is a bit further in from the edge (I'm no engineer, don't ask me to explain Confused ) by at least a good 3 inches, giving me almost a shelf in front of the sink.

It's a good addition to counter space, as I can balance a pan which came out of the oven on it, when the counter is full , BUT, one of the problems with that, whenever I was pregnant, I had to strain very hard to reach the sink to wash dishes or anything.

Also, when I'm taking advantage of help erev Shabbos, only one of us has access to the sink. Like if I'm putting up a soup, and need to wash out a pot for that and at the same time my helper wants to rinse carrots, one of us has to wait for the other. I think with sink in middle of counter both could reach the sink at once, standing on both sides. here, only if you are right in front of it can you reach it.

goldrose

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:36 pm
Quote:
BUT, one of the problems with that, whenever I was pregnant, I had to strain very hard to reach the sink to wash dishes or anything.

well, I suppose, but I had a hard time reaching the sinks when I was pg too! and my sinks werent far away!Smile

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 5:41 pm
In my dream kitchen I would have a separate parve counter, sink, 2 burner cooktop, under counter oven, microwave.

besides the standard milchig and fleishig separate counters, cooktops, sinks and ovens.

what a nice thread. I feel almost like a little girl decorating her dollhouse Very Happy

juggler

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 2:35 am
Ok everyone, thanks so much and keep it coming. That sink tip was especially helpful because I was planning to have a corner sink, now I'll move it.

SMG

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 8:58 am
A shelf that swings up out of the cabinet for your kitchenaid/mixer.

Also, cabinet access from both sides of the island.
Just like the sink, no one will be blocked from what they need.

I always liked the idea of dropping down one end of the island to table height so you can put chairs there or kids can reach it better or you can sit there and do work.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 9:19 am
Quote:
I always liked the idea of dropping down one end of the island to table height so you can put chairs there or kids can reach it better or you can sit there and do work.

Good idea Very Happy

shira

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 1:13 pm
I'm in the middle of doing my kitchen right now too (its so much fun but getting much more expensive than we had anticipated.......yikes!) Anyway, there isn't enough room for an island but I do have some fun features that I'm excited about.

I have a 90cm eurpean range (flush with the countertop) for fleishig and for milchig I have a smaller built-in oven as well as 2 burners on the counter. No more treifing things up for me! Also, I broke down a corner of the kitchen that faces the living room. In its place I will have table height countertop on an angle. Parallel to the counter/table will be about 1.5 feet of dry wall hanging from the cealing with recessed lights.

Below are pics of the kitchen in progress. First is a view of the kitchen from the living room. The second pic is a view of the living room from inside the kitchen. You can see where they took down the wall.

happyone

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 1:26 pm
I just finished my kitchen and am thrilled with it. If you're not going with a sub zero refrigerator, you can cut into the beams and sheetrock behind the refrg. space and push the fridge back into that space creating a flush - built in look with the cabinets. during construction it wont cost more.

I added on the granite top of the island to create "table" - bar stools are perfect for snacks, breakfast , or helping mommy bake.
of course, outlets under the island.

I put all my outlets under the cabinets - near the lighting so it doesnt look ugly on the backsplash ijt's hidden until you need them.

corner sinks, though nice, are not practical.

glass cooktops are great.. they clean really really easy and well.

etc... etc.
plenty of lighting, skylights etc....

Enjoy it!!!

red sea

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 11:48 am
don't forget two dishwashers! Every single conceivable gadget for organizing like a spice rack thingy that comes as an accessory to the cabinets. When choosing cabinets have in mind what each is for and put the stuff where you use it most for convenience sake. I love a food pantry with pull out shelves. A space for any small appliance that is constantly used like a swing out shelf or garage door style area.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 9:40 pm
What kind of flooring do you all recommend? Whats cleans easy, and is not too hard for kids etc.

queen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:27 am
for your double door cabinets (ontop of counter) they should not have that vertical bar where the 2 doors meet in the middle when cabinets are closed. It gets in the way of getting dishes/stuff in and out of cabinet.

(it's slightly more expensive, but worth it)

Chani

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 12:41 am
Flooring -

In my old house I had a wood parquet floor that I loved. In my new house the kitchen is gorgeous, but the floor is cream colored ceramic tile and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. One hour after mopping it already looks like it could use it again.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 2:43 am
Yes, the main thing is to get a floor in a color that won't show every crumb and spill. We are going with a dark beige tile with streaks and speckles. If you go with tile, make sure you get something that is slip-proof.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:18 pm
Quote:
If you go with tile, make sure you get something that is slip-proof.

And textured Exclamation though harder to clean way safer then the smooth shiny ones that I have in my hallway and bathrooms and no I never put it there. It's so dangerous when wet I have rugs all over and I literally dry it seconds after I mop . Looks gorg true and way easier to clean then linoleum but not worth it..,

Truth be told linoleum has flooring that imitates marble and wood! one wouldn't know unless they drop something, or their feet touches the floor. Wood is not good in a kitchen or any place where there's water moisture imo.

Though ofcourse manufactureres will say otherwise just to get you to buy. Also tile is hard on the feet so unless you don't plan on standing or cooking to long or dropping cups which will break instantly incl falls from kids more likely to hurt themselves on stone tiles then linoleum then yes tile is more classy and will last longer.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 2:26 pm
Quote:
or their feet touches the floor.

and how often does that happen anyway? Very Happy

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 2:33 pm
Quote:
and how often does that happen anyway?

Well with babys, kids and some homes people do go shoeless Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen