Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Black Friday

atlastamom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 7:39 am
anyone see anything worth waking up at 5 a.m. for?

heffer569

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:12 am
waking up u gotta be there by then I usually get to the stores aroung 7 or 8 the night before and wait in line. there are tons of electronics. also great toys at target and toys r us. My favorite store is Best Buy but dont bother unless u are going to wait in line all night cause by 6 am the good stuff is gone.

atlastamom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:15 am
heffer, you spend the night outside the store?!?!

babygirl

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:16 am
What time do the stores open that you go from 7 the night before?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:22 am
4am-5am.

heffer569

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:25 am
yep my dh thinks im nuts but I love it. I usually bring a chair with me to sit on and there are outlets along the wall of the store so I bring an electric blanket to keep warm. There are usually tons of people and u meet some really interesting ones. Also its only once a year and living in brooklyn its nice to go a little out and shop in big name stores.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:27 am
Well, do you need anything specific?

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:32 am
Well if you don't feel like waking up at 5 a.m. then you can wait til Monday which is Cyber Monday. I'm sure there will be lots of deals then too. Also, a lot of online sites have great deals on Black Friday too.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/Online

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 9:30 am
Beauticianista wrote:
Well if you don't feel like waking up at 5 a.m. then you can wait til Monday which is Cyber Monday. I'm sure there will be lots of deals then too. Also, a lot of online sites have great deals on Black Friday too.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/Online

Thanks for the link!

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 6:54 am
heffer569 wrote:
yep my dh thinks im nuts but I love it. I usually bring a chair with me to sit on and there are outlets along the wall of the store so I bring an electric blanket to keep warm. There are usually tons of people and u meet some really interesting ones. Also its only once a year and living in brooklyn its nice to go a little out and shop in big name stores.

no offense meant, but that is nuts. IMVHO, nothing is worth being up at that hour for. And statistically, you get better deals closer to x-mas anyway. I hate crowds and lines more then I like bargains. You get better bargains online anyway.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:10 am
She probably does it more for the excitement than for the actual bargains. It's an adventure. Albeit, one I want no part in!!!!

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:26 am
I think its like the outlet malls- where you go and just assume its a good deal, because after all its black friday- it has to be a good deal. I also have no part in it. I dont really need anything at this point, so im not gonna get sucked in, eventhough this year companys are trying their hardest to get people just to enter their store, once they are in- we gotcha !!!

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:32 am
shayna82 wrote:
I think its like the outlet malls- where you go and just assume its a good deal, because after all its black friday- it has to be a good deal. I also have no part in it. I dont really need anything at this point, so im not gonna get sucked in, eventhough this year companys are trying their hardest to get people just to enter their store, once they are in- we gotcha !!!

There often *are* good doorbuster deals, to get people into stores. I've seen TVs and computers for hundreds of dollars off, but only a small number per store. If you're not first in line to get in at 4 am, fuuuuuuuhgeddaboutit.

Now *if* this is an item that you really need or would otherwise purchase, and *if* you have the personality for it, go for it.

Me? Not so much. Kohls has the crockpot I like on sale for $10, and the one I'm using has a broken know that drives me nuts, but I don't think its worth the crowds. Other than that, I covet a breadmaker; if anyone sees a good deal on that, let me know. Otherwise, I'll be at home.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:40 am
Barbara wrote:
shayna82 wrote:

There often *are* good doorbuster deals, to get people into stores. I've seen TVs and computers for hundreds of dollars off, but only a small number per store. If you're not first in line to get in at 4 am, fuuuuuuuhgeddaboutit.

Now *if* this is an item that you really need or would otherwise purchase, and *if* you have the personality for it, go for it.

Me? Not so much. Kohls has the crockpot I like on sale for $10, and the one I'm using has a broken know that drives me nuts, but I don't think its worth the crowds. Other than that, I covet a breadmaker; if anyone sees a good deal on that, let me know. Otherwise, I'll be at home.

Just like Shayna said, I don't particularly need (not want, need) anything now so not going.

But about the specials: About three years ago I saw an add for a Circuit City offering a pretty good laptop for $399 dollars. Now it's not so unheard of, but back then it was a crazy good deal and it wasn't even black friday, it was the end of the summer and I saw it on Motzei Shabbos in the newspaper circular. Sunday morning I got up early, took the train (it was pretty far) and walked (again far) to the store. When I finally got there they told me they only had 10 and I got the last one, someone was waiting to be helped after me and could not get it. Then I had to shlep, holding a heavy laptop box back to the train, and then back home. It was totally worth it though, I used it for a year and then sold it for $350 to a friend, who is still using it and happy with it.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 7:44 am
I would like some advice here:
We would like to purchase some furniture for our new summer home. How are we better off: shopping at one of the local Jewish furniture stores that are having floor sample sales, I.e. Living Quarters in BP, or going up to the mountains and patronizing any of the non jewish furniture stores that are running sales? Where would we get a better deal? We really don't want'/can't afford to spend a lot. We need a dinette set (table and chairs) and a sofa.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:11 am
some stores actually hand out vouchers to the people on line - then you can come back in the am ...

and yes it's an art to camping out ... similar to tailgate parties ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains