Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Onion kugel
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 3:44 pm
I made the kugel today and tried a little piece. Seems pretty good!

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 30 2010, 2:56 pm
There was too much dough to my taste. I need to think how to modify this recipe to my taste.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:26 am
I'm not sure how many onions I used. I had smallish onions so I used more than the recipe called for and made sure to slice them extremely thin. I also baked it much longer than the recipe called for. I used onion salt and onion soup mix (just happens to be that I put onion salt in practically everything).

I like it a lot and will definitely make it again.

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:37 am
I made it over Yom Tov too! It was really quick and easy to make, and tasted great too! Thanks for posting!

sleepwalking

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 3:33 am
str82thepoint wrote:
From this weeks mishpacha:

5 onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/4 cups flour
2tsp baking powder
5 eggs
pepper to taste
a little onion soup mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
mix all the ingredients together and pour into a 7x11 in baking pan lined with baking paper.

Bake until brown (30-35min) Serve hot!

Made this for shabbes and yesterday and it was a major major hit!!!! THX alot!!!

centurion

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 11:41 pm
I made this recipe for pesach and substituted 3/4 cup starch for the flour. it worked beautifully!

peppermint

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 11:29 am
I want to make this kugel for shabbos.

Does anyone know what type of onions to use? and what size onions, or how many cups of onions if I shred it in the food processor?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 12:10 pm
I always use yellow onions. I generally use around 4-5 medium onions when making this kugel. We love this recipe!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 12:18 pm
Using Vidalia onions in this recipe makes a world of a difference in taste. They are quite large, so I use 4. If really large, I use 3 3/4.

peppermint

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 4:05 pm
I made this recipe using 5 sweet vidalia onions. I cooked the kugel for an hour and it was delicious! the only think I would do differently next time is use less oil

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2011, 10:39 pm
str82thepoint wrote:
From this weeks mishpacha:

5 onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/4 cups flour
2tsp baking powder
5 eggs
pepper to taste
a little onion soup mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
mix all the ingredients together and pour into a 7x11 in baking pan lined with baking paper.

Bake until brown (30-35min) Serve hot!

I made this, tasted a little piece and it is yummy!! My BIL was over and he tried it and wanted seconds and my husband LOVED it. Thanks so much for posting!!

Tiale

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 10:44 am
is this THE onion kugel recipe? I made it once and it came out heaven!

Tiale

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 4:39 am
?

chillax

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 9:54 pm
What's "a little" onion soup mix? A teaspoon? tablespoon? More?

chillax

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 11:47 pm
and how long to really cook this for? It's been in the oven for about an hour and still doesn't look "done". Confused

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 11 2011, 1:03 pm
chillax wrote:
and how long to really cook this for? It's been in the oven for about an hour and still doesn't look "done". Confused

Looking forward to answers to your questions. Mine was definitely underdone and I thought I'd give the recipe one more try.

I may just start a thread for people who think the onion kugel and pb pie are....okay.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2011, 5:33 pm
chillax wrote:
At least an hour and 15 minutes. Don't remember how long it takes, but it's possible it takes even longer than that.

runninglate

Post Tue, Oct 11 2011, 5:53 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
chillax wrote:

Looking forward to answers to your questions. Mine was definitely underdone and I thought I'd give the recipe one more try.

I may just start a thread for people who think the onion kugel and pb pie are....okay.
ill join your thread. I really didnt care for this recipe. I was surprised after all the rave reviews. I think you just cant get away with not sauteeing the onions if you want taste. Whats the pb pie?

centurion

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 1:12 pm
bumping this up for pesach. it works well when substituting the flour for half the amount of potato starch.

naftala

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 8:13 pm
I am trying this for Pesach - I used potato starch instead of flour and put the onions in the food processor. It looked really "soupy" when I poured it in the pan. What did I do wrong??
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes