Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Self-cleaning oven

how long for self-clean cycle
1 hour  
 5%  [ 1 ]
2 hours  
 16%  [ 3 ]
3 hours  
 50%  [ 9 ]
4 hours  
 5%  [ 1 ]
have dif ovens for convenience  
 11%  [ 2 ]
have dif ovens cause we don't do self-clean  
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 11:52 am
curious if people do different things
how long do you self-clean oven for
and are there variations of waiting time in between cooking & cleaning before use of milky to meaty or meaty to milky

shayna82

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 11:58 am
I have a seperate oven for milk and meat... I cant imagine having to clean the oven every other day

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:32 pm
doesn't the self-clean cycle have a set # of hours? Actually, I think mine let's me choose 3 or 4 hours. Before I had self-clean, my Rav said that if you clean out your oven well, then turn it to the highest setting for 1 hour, it's kashered. So I would assume self-cleaning for 1 hour is sufficient.

Best answer: AYLOR

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 3:10 pm
I think I maybe used the self clean once and I have no idea how long it's for.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 3:12 pm
I can adjust mine from 4 down to 1 ...

Fabulous

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 3:19 pm
greenfire wrote:
I can adjust mine from 4 down to 1 ...

Mine as well. And I can stop it in the middle. I think I remember it needs about 2-3 hours begween milchig and flieshig. That's why I use my convection/toaster oven usually for milchig and my challah is with fleishig kelim (the oven, can't be eaten with milchigs).

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 3:45 pm
well, if the oven itself is clean and has been cold for a number of hours (very few, actually, but 24 would certainly do it) then you can switch, according to a friend of mine whose kashrus I absolutely trust. I think this is not commonly done these days because no one wants to clean their ovens that often, but it's useful to know.

I have a self-cleaning oven, used it twice. I never let it go for the full 4:20. the house gets too hot and I always feel ill from the smell. for pesach I ran it twice for an hour each time. the rav said that was fine.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:20 pm
I dont have a self clean. We kasher it by hand. You dont have that option.

Ours is generally fleishig but will will kasher it for milchig if necessary. DH cleans it out well, and then we turn it up all the way. once it gets to the top temp, we wait 1 hr.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 11:51 am
I guess my thread wasn't sufficient for discussion Exploding anger

Fabulous

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 11:55 am
greenfire wrote:

Awww! don't feel bad. It's a different aspect of the same conversation. Perhaps feel flattered, maybe tamiri was inspired by your thread.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:05 pm
I have two ovens but keep them both fleishig year round, since I entertain a lot for shabbos and yom tov and need both. Besides we eat very little dairy and a tiny toaster oven suffices.

I kasher the ovens twice a year. Once a year I make one of those ovens dairy for Shavuos.... 3 hours self clean cycle each way. (And even with the self clean cycle it has to first be cleaned out very well and also not be used for 24 hours prior). Then one a year I make both ovens for Pesach, 4 hours self clean cycle. (Again, first well cleaned and not used for 24 hours).

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:10 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
3 hours self clean cycle each way. (And even with the self clean cycle it has to first be cleaned out very well and also not be used for 24 hours prior). Then one a year I make both ovens for Pesach, 4 hours self clean cycle. (Again, first well cleaned and not used for 24 hours).

Our local posekim say that self-cleaning is libun gamur which does not require 24 hours. They also say no cleaning is needed on the inside of the ovens (as the libun gamur takes care of it), only around the door areas which are not effected by the self-cleaning cycle.

Do not assume 24 hour waiting is required without asking a shayla.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:20 pm
greenfire wrote:

Next time make it more controversial, like Tamiris post!! Twisted Evil Wink

(she got ppl. riled up with her declaring that there is absolutely no issues in using one oven for everything)

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:21 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:
3 hours self clean cycle each way. (And even with the self clean cycle it has to first be cleaned out very well and also not be used for 24 hours prior). Then one a year I make both ovens for Pesach, 4 hours self clean cycle. (Again, first well cleaned and not used for 24 hours).

Our local posekim say that self-cleaning is libun gamur which does not require 24 hours. They also say no cleaning is needed on the inside of the ovens (as the libun gamur takes care of it), only around the door areas which are not effected by the self-cleaning cycle.

Do not assume 24 hour waiting is required without asking a shayla.

I'm not assuming anything. These are the instructions given to me by the rav. I will check again sometime between now and Pesach just to be sure. But honestly, either way, I like to clean the inside of my oven anyhow. If you just self clean w/o getting in there, the whole oven turns black inside. And waiting 24 hours is no big deal either. There are plenty of meals I can make on a stove top. But I am curious now to make sure I 100% understood.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:24 pm
maybe I needed another option - do not self clean/use oven for both

BlumaG

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 1:14 pm
I clean mine for the full cycle 4 hrs for Pesach and for Shavuos - thats about it

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 4:02 pm
I clean for 2 hours - then clean by hand - then self clean 4 hours for pesach ...

if nothing drips I clean for an hour or 2 if stuff dripped ...

I rarely use it for pizza - cause I make small ones in my toaster oven ... mostly use it for baking and since we do not eat a lot of meaty stuff and most stuff cooks on top - once in a while for meat ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen