Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Question for those with Phil and Ted's twin stroller
1  2  Next

anon

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 3:48 pm
I'm specifically looking for opinions from those who already have this stroller. I'm considering this stroller, as I do not mind that one child is in "the basement". Wink

I want to know the logistics of this stroller, as well as any complaints that you may have.

Some specific questions I have:

1) How difficult or easy is it to open and close and store in the trunk of a car?

2) What's the deal with the baby and the toddler, with regard to which seats they're allowed to sit in? Can the toddler sit in either seat, and when do they grow out of the small back seat? Can the infant go in either seat?

3) I understand that there are some problems with the stroller tipping, but can you expound on that so that I know what situation creates a problem and how to avoid it?

I know that the stroller is relatively lightweight and easy to push. Are there any other pros and cons you can share with me?

Thanks so much, this information will be greatly appreciated!

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 5:34 am
Hi, I have the Phil and Ted sport and I love it. I did not get it till DS2 was 4 months old - I spent that long trying to decide what to get, but I am happy I got this one.
It is extremely easy to fold and open, but you can't do it with one hand. if the double seat is on the back, you have to take if off to fold, but if it is on the front, you can fold it with it still attached.
Officially the lighter kid goes in the back, whichever seat that may be, so that it doesnt tip. so if you have the main seat and the double attachment at the back, the baby goes in the back. or if you have the main seat reclining, and teh double attachment at the front, the baby goes flat on the main seat and the older one goes on the attachment at the front. I have occasionally put DS1 in the back if DS2 was sleeping in teh front, and it was fine, but DS1 is not very heavy. The attachment only reclines a little bit, but my kids can sleep in it anyway. The only disadvantage is that the bar is not very high, so if your kid is tall, his head may reach it sooner. So far neither of my kids seems uncomfortable.
I have never had the carriage tip on me.
I am also very happy that they have the attachment for my carseat - I have the maxi cosi, but I think they have for the graco as well.
That's all I can think of at the mo, I don't regret getting it at all.

mamacita

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:22 am
anon wrote:
I'm specifically looking for opinions from those who already have this stroller. I'm considering this stroller, as I do not mind that one child is in "the basement". Wink

I want to know the logistics of this stroller, as well as any complaints that you may have.

Some specific questions I have:

1) How difficult or easy is it to open and close and store in the trunk of a car?

2) What's the deal with the baby and the toddler, with regard to which seats they're allowed to sit in? Can the toddler sit in either seat, and when do they grow out of the small back seat? Can the infant go in either seat?

3) I understand that there are some problems with the stroller tipping, but can you expound on that so that I know what situation creates a problem and how to avoid it?

I know that the stroller is relatively lightweight and easy to push. Are there any other pros and cons you can share with me?

Thanks so much, this information will be greatly appreciated!

1) it is a 2 hand fold, but very easy to do. It folds very, very compactly (once you remove the extra seat) and the front wheel and handle bar also come on and off easily in case you really need it to break down smaller.

2) The baby can go in the extra seat attached to the back as soon as they can sit up for long periods of time. They recommend 6mos, but my kids were ok for short distances starting closer to 4-5.

3) The reason the lighter child should sit in the back is so it doesn't tip backward, but I've found that it takes a pretty big weight to do that. For example, if I take my front child out first nothing happens as my kids are both 25kg or less but if DD climbs in the backseat and is standing there trying to reach my purse that is sitting on the canopy it will tip over Rolling Eyes lol

I've seen families with kids of up to 4yo using the stroller, I think the weight limit is posted on their site.

Cons: I find the buckles used to recline the stroller completely impossible to re-hook while the kid is in the seat and next to impossible if the stroller is empty. For this reason I think it's a stinky single Wink well, that and the 2 hand fold but . . .

Pros: It's light, compact, has great seatbelts, folds very small, is easy to push.

We just had a big prob with ours, the frame cracked, but that I was told was from a bad batch mixed with lots of stair use. Sad I don't know what to do with it now, I don't want another kind as I've been spoiled using this treat!

TSR

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:01 am
I just wanted to add that it has very little storage. I find that to be a problem when bringing my kids to and from the babysitter with their two bags, my purse, coats... But I walk there so if you're going in the car that might not be such a problem.

TSR

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:10 am
I just wanted to add that it has very little storage. I find that to be a problem when bringing my kids to and from the babysitter with their two bags, my purse, coats... But I walk there so if you're going in the car that might not be such a problem.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:54 am
I don't have a p & t. but I just wanted to mention the p & t vibe (which is slightly more expensive) folds with the doubles kit attached.

http://www.philandteds.com/vibe_index.htm

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:35 am
mamacita wrote:
as my kids are both 25kg or less
I'd hope so! I wouldn't push such a big kid in a stroller. Even my 22 lb son (will be 2 in a month) walks to shul LOL

chaylizi

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:38 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mamacita wrote:
I'd hope so! I wouldn't push such a big kid in a stroller. Even my 22 lb son (will be 2 in a month) walks to shul LOL

I take it he doesn't run or shul is next door to your house. I would be in for a wild goose chase if I let my 20 month dd walk anywhere but on my block. even then we have numerous episodes of almost being in the street.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:42 am
It's not next door. We cross 2 streets, but we have a shortcut. I ask him to run actually (to go faster), but he's very good about stopping at a street, even at a driveway. B"H, I really can trust him. (The first week he wanted to walk, I took a double just in case, but my older son ended up riding home in it. So I said, forget it!)

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 12:06 pm
I love my Phil & Ted. I have the E3 version. If you have more $$ to spend you may want to look into the Dash. They fixed a lot of things on that version.

anon wrote:

It is not so easy. Once you get the hang of it it is not as hard but you need both hands. It would not get it as a car stroller. However, it fits very nicely in my trunk. In fact I store in in my middle seat next to my 2 carseats when my trunk is full. It doesn't way a ton so it is not so hard to lift into the trunk.

anon wrote:

According to the rules the lighter child always sits in the back. However, my 2 1/2 year old, who weights 32 lbs sometimes wants to sit in the back. The only time when I have a problem is when we are on a hill it becomes very unstable. The back seat goes until 32 lbs. My 2 1/2 year old is squished in there (he is a big guy - 36 inches) but he doesn't mind.
An infant who cannot support his head should not be placed in the back seat. I started putting ds in there when he was 4 months old. The directions say to wait until 6 months. Until then you are supposed to use the bassinet and the older child sits ontop of the bassinet.
The front seat goes up to 50 lbs.
I use the carseat attachment in the front with the toddler in the backseat. the directions say not to do it but I did and it worked fine, although the balance was thrown off so I would not do it for long walks. For me this was a huge convenience.

anon wrote:

The stroller tips when there is only one child in the backseat and you are on a hill. I haven't had a problem when on a flat surface. There is no problem at all when there is only a child in the front seat or children in both seats. If I come home and ds in the bottom seat is sleeping I put the carriage against a wall just in case.
anon wrote:

Below is a review I wrote on Imamother in the past:

Pros:
The infant lies flat.
It pushes terrific.
It fits in the middle seat of my camry with 2 carseats.
It fits in stores and down isles.
It does not weight a ton.
cons:
Now I have my baby sitting up sometimes in the back and I see that when the older child gets out of the carriage it gets very unsteady and it is hard to push and may tip. (This is a big con in my mind)
The basket is very small and you cannot hang things from the back handlebars.
You have to remove the back seat to fold in the 2 toddler configuration.
It is a pain to recline and un-recline the main seat.

The second seat reclines on the sport a little so it support my infant in the back was able to start sitting there at 4 months and he is happy. He is able to see a lot out of the sides and seems to enjoy long walks.
Overall I LOVE this carriage.
I walk a lot on gravel pathways and it pushes like a dream over hills and bumps. I walk one handed while talking on my cell phone for short amounts of time but would not do it for very long.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 12:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mamacita wrote:

ds is 2 1/2 and is 36 inches and weights 32 lbs and I love taking him in the carriage. I get everywhere so much faster. Especially if I'm walking for excersize, which I use my carriage for often, I wouldn't loose a lb. letting him walk! I'm having a hard time imagining doing this once I have 3 iy"h.

And both my kids finish babysitting at the same time and are a 5 minute walk from each other. It would take 20 minutes (and a wild goose chase, and a stop to watch each and every car, bus, truck) to walk to pick the 2nd child with ds walking so I love having a carriage at this age.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 12:16 pm
Sky, for me, with 3 kids, one walking already, pushing a single is easier, and they hold on the sides. With 2, a double is easier, but once one kid is walking, a single (especially since my single is much better than my double in pushing) wins Smile

anon

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:40 pm
Thanks so much, this was a great help!

I noticed that the Classic is much cheaper than the other versions. In what way is it not as good as the others, aside from the fact that it only comes in the color red Scratching Head

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:43 pm
anon wrote:

I noticed that the Classic is much cheaper than the other versions. In what way is it not as good as the others, aside from the fact that it only comes in the color red Scratching Head

I don't have one but I heard something about the cheaper one having a brake that's in a hard place to reach. Also something about not being able to fold with the second seat and the more expensive one can. Can anyone confirm those things?

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:43 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
anon wrote:

I don't have one but I heard something about the cheaper one having a brake that's in a hard place to reach. Also something about not being able to fold with the second seat and the more expensive one can. Can anyone confirm those things?

The sport which is more has a really bad break. Its the Dash that has the better break. But thats lots more (in general it seems like a better carriage). Reading reviews it sounded the Classic was really stripped down but I don't know because I haven't seen it.

MinnieMa

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:29 pm
I have a 4 year old that weighs 34lbs and a 1 year old that weighs 25lbs. I love the carriage. It wheels great, you can fit into stores and best of all it can be a single too. The second seat removes so easily it's not a big deal. It folds easily and is compact that it fits in the trunk well. The cons is that you can't hang a diaper bag when you have a child in the bottom seat. The reclining for the front seat is made out of side zippers and back straps. My zippers lost it's hook so basically it's a real pain to sit the child up and back. It also doesn't sit all the way up, it's pretty far from the handle bar for a small child. Other than that I really love it. Every carriage has it's pros and cons. You have to know what you are looking for. My child was already three when I had my second one so I knew I wouldn't need the double all the time. My oldest also enjoys riding in a stroller. I use the carriage to run to the bus stop, I know my oldest will be getting out so I put my baby on top and my oldest sits on bottom. My 4 year old is pretty small and petite so maybe that's why I don't have a problem with her sitting there. PM me if you have anymore questions. For my kids age I don't think there is any other stroller I would have chosen!!

bella123

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 3:57 am
"We just had a big prob with ours, the frame cracked, but that I was told was from a bad batch mixed with lots of stair use. I don't know what to do with it now, I don't want another kind as I've been spoiled using this treat! "
This happened to ours and we ordered from the company a new main seat frame which cost about 70 dollars.

mamacita

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:12 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
mamacita wrote:

LOL! oops, yep, both are less than 25 LBS, and prob combined about 25kg, mommy brain strikes again!

I don't want to pay $70 to fix something that shouldn't have broken on an expensive stroller <<huff>> <<pout>> and now I'm spoiled so I can't consider a different kind. Sad

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:11 pm
There is no warranty?

mamacita

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 5:35 am
I live in a different country than I bought it in, I'm moving to a third country, and we don't have our proof of purchase 1.5 years later Sad anyway. This is from the store we bought it, maybe we'll get more help from the company directly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics