Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Only happy when held!

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 5:48 pm
My 2 1/2 month old only seems to be happy when he's held. He'll last about 5-10 minutes in his bouncy seat/car seat/floor content. Then he'll start getting fussy. He's fine once someone picks him up. I don't want to get him used to just being held. Should I let him cry if I know he's not hungry, wet, dirty....? (I really don't want too Sad )

proudmom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:06 pm
there is nothing wrong with you holding your 2 month old. The reason why he likes when you hold him is because of security and he likes to be cuddled. Try wrapping him in a recieving blanket, that might give you a break from holding him. After wrapping him put something of yours near his face (but not too close) so he can smell you. dont let him cry he is still too younge to understand.

elisecohen

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 7:54 pm
I agree--you can't spoil an infant so young. They are not trying to manipulate us, they just can't communicate and only understand that some need--even if it's just the need for cuddling--isn't being met. You can certainly experiment with different seats, swings, locations, distractions, etc, but you might be better off experimenting with different types of slings and carriers! Definitely try to borrow these before buying, because some babies do NOT like some kinds of carriers--my 4 month old absolutely hates the baby sling but loves a front carrier, for example.
Some infants even this young really want to be part of what's going on around them, and are happier in an upright baby gym-seat or the new "Bumbo" seats (which they can use as soon as they can hold their heads upright) to feel they're more part of the action. Very refluxy babies also like these and like front-carriers because these help put a little pressure on the tummy and minimize gassiness.

raizy

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 9:06 pm
hold him all u can. they grow up so quickly. my baby just turned one years old. Crying time really flies fast.

Tefila

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 9:49 pm
I agree hold him if he was 12mnths I may say something different. But not 2mnths

deedee

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 11:38 pm
hold ur baby!!!! when mine was that age all she wanted was to be held-hey after 9 mts of being inside me I totally understand! now that she is 15mts all she wants to do is jump out of my arms and I wanna hold her Very Happy

Pearl

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 8:51 am
I agree with all other mothers who posted here - hold your baby, and treasure every second of it!!! your baby needs to be close to you, needs your warmth!

1stimer

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 8:59 am
I have to agree with others. Hold him, if he wants to be held. My baby was like that. For the first 6 months all he wanted was to be held all the time. Then once he was able to do things, roll over, crawl he was happy to play on the floor. Now he jumps out of my arms.

But get a sling.

curlyhead

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 7:01 am
Read "the happiest baby on the block" by Harvey Karp

Tovah

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 10:25 am
I don't think u can spoil a baby that young, they don't understand. but maybe you can try a baby bijorn, my son loves it. this way your hands are free. another idea, if you give your baby a pacifier, give it to him while he's playing to pro long him, or maybe he's borded of the bouncy chair and wants another activity.

1stimer

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 10:28 am
btw, I think 5-10 min is normal for a child that age to want to be in a chair be4 they want out.

Yosefa

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 7:07 pm
nothing worked for my daughter (4 weeks) until I borrowed a swing. Don't worry about spoiling, but you gotta brush your teeth, go to the bathroom on your own, etc. once in a while.

nehama

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 9:15 pm
613 - Does he let you put him down at night? My baby does the same day and night and I'm wondering if there's a way I can get some real sleep, other than give her to my husband to hold!

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 2:19 pm
yup, nehama, now he does... he's 11 months k"ah Very Happy
he still prefers to be held during the day, he's the clingy type, but b"H he's much improved.
at night, when he was younger he was okay. he preferred sleeping in the car seat... maybe you can try that. it gives them a feeling of coziness since it's snugger than a crib.

realeez

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 3:01 pm
613, I was wondering, lol!

nehama

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 5:08 pm
She does sleep well in her carseat, but it takes a while to put her in without her getting hysterical. When I'm tired it's just easier to skip the whole soothing her back to sleep process and just take her into my bed with me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics