Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Farfel and other traditional shabbos foods
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 3:38 am
I want to make a standard traditional shabbos meal bec of certain guests we're having this week.

I got the fish and soup down pat, now I need sides.
potato kugel is one idea. farfel is another.

how do I make farfel?

what other traditional sides can I make?

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:19 am
traditional Im assuming you mean heimish...bcz Im sure "traditional" sefardi includes all those yummy salads, plus like janchun braed (dont know how to spell that) etc etc

tzimmes - really easy, cut carrots, boil, add tons of sugar, honey if you want, maybe some cinnamon if you want. if you wanna go all out add a marrow bone or flanken to give it some "fat." YUM

farfel is so easy you just buy the bag at the supermarket (will be by all the pasta couscous etc they def. sell it in isr) boil it and different ppl spice it differently. I fry it a bit first and add salt pepper and some chicken soup flavoring. my MIL adds paprika (adds it to everything). My mother adds sauteed mushrooms and onions (which sometimes I do). My grandmother made it with chicken soup (boiled it in that instead of water). follow waht it says on the bag and spice however you want.

boiled chicken from the soup is pretty "traditional" plus flanken!!

you can also make just regular chicken but nothing "outrageous" or different like "chicken marsala" or fancy names like that - just some paprika and garlic powder cant go wrong with that

gefilte fish - no sushi (I saw you had a thread abt that once lol!!) and no salmon.

compote is the dessert of choice!

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:22 am
in addn to potato kugel you can make
challah kugel
yerushalmi (or "mock" yerushalmi -if you dont have a dishwasher, cleaning the pot after frying the sugar is a real pain)
salt and pepper kugel (personally I hate it bcz its not sweet and to me lukshen kugel should be sweet but its "traditional")
apple kugel
Im sure there are dozens of recipes on here

if you want a veggie-
mushrooms and onions

I mean you can make a salad you can never go wrong with a basic lettuce salad, nothing to "cool" or exotic but seriously a salad can be fun and ppl like to eat healthy foods....

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:45 am
A non dairy simple cake with applesauce is a very traditional desert.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:14 am
fruit compote for dessert

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:18 am
Buttercake... but only if you keep one hour...

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:31 am
My mil gave me a great recipe for delicious farfel:

Mince a few cloves of fresh garlic into a saucepan. Add oil, salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar and the farfel/couscous. Sautee on a very low flame for about 20 min - half hour until lightly browned, keep mixing. Add boiling hot water, bring to a boil and then lower temp, cover and do not mix. Keep adding boiling water if necessary until it's finished cooking, about another 20 min - half hour, depending on how low/high the flame is.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:39 am
so funny because our family never ate farfel or tzimmes...

how about a sweet lokshen kugel? I have a great recipe that's pretty simple and hard to mess up!

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:03 am
Chocoholic wrote:

how would that be a heimish dessert? Only dutch people keep one hour. (afaik) And most very frum people don't even make regular cakes dairy, since its confusing. none of my heimish cookbooks have milchig cakes, exxcept for cheesecake and the like.

farfel is actually pretty good. make with fired onions and chicken soup. mmmmm maybe I'll make some.

tzimmis is a friday night dish?

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:24 am
Raisin wrote:

I thought the buttercake comment was a joke, I guess I was wrong.

Tzimmes is a minhag I can ask Dh from where. I think b/c farfel was called farfel tzimmis or something like that - so we have farfel, and tzimmis. IDK if that is accurate though. Both my parents and in laws do it. leading up to RH from av on my mother doesnt make, so that its special for RH, but IDK if thats a minhag or her own invention...

I forgot-
reytech - radishes with the soup

also gallaretta if you are really daring. I think its gross but I know some ppl who have it every weeK!!

did I mention flanken

Lani22

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:24 am
heimish doesnt have to be plain and boring! but here is my "plain" heimish menu- I would start with fish and a salad like cucumber salad or coleslaw then soup. For main roasted chicken with seasonings, potato kugel, farfel (I make mine with fried onions and onion soup mix) a sweet side dish like a sweet lokshen kugel and then a salad. dessert keep it simple a basic chocolate or marble cake and some compote.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:44 am
Raisin wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

how would that be a heimish dessert? Only dutch people keep one hour. (afaik) And most very frum people don't even make regular cakes dairy, since its confusing. none of my heimish cookbooks have milchig cakes, exxcept for cheesecake and the like.

farfel is actually pretty good. make with fired onions and chicken soup. mmmmm maybe I'll make some.

Buttercake is a very very traditional dessert...

Maybe nowadays nothing is dairy anymore... so maybe its not heimish 2008...

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:35 am
BTW, galareta is only for the day, never serve at night.

You can be a little "heimish creative" and also serve chickpeas (boiled, then seasoned with salt and pepper) either during the fish course or after the meat course.

Seraph

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:54 am
you're saying traditional farfel was made by buying the ready made? no, I wanna know how you REALLY make farfel...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:56 am
fish
chicken soup with noodles and knaidel
chicken(any kind) ferfel, potatoe kugal any other kugal like apple or cherry for extra

those are traditional foods for friday night meal

day-
fish
eggs, liver, vegetables cut up
cholent, cold cuts, kishke, kugals

extras-
dips like tomatoe, chrain....

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:14 pm
Seraph wrote:
you're saying traditional farfel was made by buying the ready made? no, I wanna know how you REALLY make farfel...

It's very easy, as long as you have a mixer with a K paddle. Do you?

3 1/2 to 4 c. flour
3 eggs
pinch of salt
a few drops of water

Mix all ingredients at once. If farfel are too small, add water a drop at a time. If farfel is too coarse, add flour a sprinkle at a time.

You can cook it at this point, or else bake it at 350°/180° (I do this, it tastes much better) until the farfel dries and hardens.

(Heimishe Kitchen)

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:21 pm
flowerpower wrote:
fish
chicken soup with noodles and knaidel
chicken(any kind) ferfel, potatoe kugal any other kugal like apple or cherry for extra

those are traditional foods for friday night meal

day-
fish
eggs, liver, vegetables cut up
cholent, cold cuts, kishke, kugals

extras-
dips like tomatoe, chrain....

Wow, is this my house?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:30 pm
sarahd wrote:

It's very easy, as long as you have a mixer with a K paddle. Do you?

3 1/2 to 4 c. flour
3 eggs
pinch of salt
a few drops of water

Mix all ingredients at once. If farfel are too small, add water a drop at a time. If farfel is too coarse, add flour a sprinkle at a time.

You can cook it at this point, or else bake it at 350°/180° (I do this, it tastes much better) until the farfel dries and hardens.

(Heimishe Kitchen)

Then what?

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:34 pm
Then take it out of the oven.

JK. Then you can cook it according to any one of the directions in previous posts that appeals to you. Personally, I saute a chopped onion (in schmaltz if I have any and am not thinking of hardened arteries at the time) and then add the farfel, brown it a bit, and then add water or chicken soup, salt and pepper and a drop of sugar, and cook till liquid is absorbed.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:36 pm
I have never made farfel. Just that Israeli toasted-pasta stuff. This looks interesting and cheap!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus