Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sweet potatoes
1  2  Next

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:38 am
Looking for a way to make them interesting and healthy (no margarine, no sugar) without simply baking. Often I'll slice them and sprinkle cinnamon and bake but recently they haven't been coming out well like that. Any ideas for somethng new (or how to bake them sliced so that I don't mess them up)?

Lani22

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:40 am
u can bake them with sugar free maple syrup. I throw mine in with the chicken so they get all yummy from the chicken seasoning.

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:41 am
Hmm, I'm making a roast. Maybe I'll put them on the bottom. Good idea, thanks. (And a time saver!)

Lani22

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:43 am
I sometimes add an onion to the mix.....

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:44 am
I make mine savory - cut into 'steak fries', drizzle with a little olive oil and toss with cracked black pepper, seal in a roasting pan covered in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:50 am
Cassandra, check this out http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....7640. It calls for just 2T of brown sugar and you can omit the margarine, as I do.

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:53 am
Sounds delicious, thanks. Now I need to get my tushy away from the computer and actually cook something.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:04 pm
If you're up for it, you can make gnocci with sweet potatoes and white whole wheat flour. They are so good.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:07 pm
You post here for recipes that don't involve sugar or margarine? When you're done with that, maybe you could post on the Penthouseforum message board for recommendations for modest swimwear.

No offense to the fine cooks of Imamother, of course.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:11 pm
You are too much Clarissa. Btw, I also cook my sweet potatos under my chicken. Just make sure that your chicken is covered and the pieces are smaller, as well as needing liquid in the bottom for them to cook in, otherwise they'll just stay hard.

justmom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:13 pm
mix 1 c. orange juice and 2 TBLS. brown sugar and pour over chunks of sweet potatoes, bake covered at 350 and uncover last few minutes (about 40-50 minutes total)--yum!

greeneyes

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:18 pm
I tried this recipe (from one of Norene Gilletz's cookbooks) a few weeks ago, & it was really delicious.

Glazed Sweet Potatoes:

2 onions, peeled & sliced
4 sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 2 inch chunks
2 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 c. orange juice

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 2 quart covered Pyrex casserole (or a 9x13 pan) with non-stick spray. Arrange onions in the bottom of the casserole; add sweet potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with seasonings. Drizzle juice over potatoes. Rub sweet potatoes well to coat them evenly with mixture. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender an golden. (I found that they needed to roast for quite a bit longer until they seemed nice and done to me. The sweet potatoes get all carmelized and really yummy.)

cookielady

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:37 pm
Clarissa wrote:
You post here for recipes that don't involve sugar or margarine? When you're done with that, maybe you could post on the Penthouseforum message board for recommendations for modest swimwear.

No offense to the fine cooks of Imamother, of course.
Rolling Laughter

ok, sad but true. (I am guilty!)

sky

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 3:48 pm
All my grandmother's recipes start with fried onions. All mine start with margarine. Its disgusting - but I can't seem to stop.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:24 pm
I nuke a sweet potato and then eat it while dipping into fat free maple syrup.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:24 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
If you're up for it, you can make gnocci with sweet potatoes and white whole wheat flour. They are so good.

I'm drooling!

Hey, I have a small baby and I'm still getting soups from the neighbors... I'll take a pan for 6, thanks.

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:28 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:

Do they make maple syrup with fat?

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:29 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:

I was not up for it, but these sound amazing. If you want to post the recipe I promise I'll make them one day.

Thanks every! (even Clarissa for your support.)

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:30 pm
cassandra wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:

Do they make maple syrup with fat?

it's from the same company that makes cholesterol free seltzer.

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:33 pm
As stupid as I know Americans are about health matters, I still found this mini-experiment fascinating.

Quote:
Health Halo Can Hide the Calories

By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: December 1, 2008

I offer this alibi after an experiment on New Yorkers that I conducted with Pierre Chandon, a Frenchman who has been studying what researchers call the American obesity paradox. Why, as Americans have paid more and more attention to eating healthily, have we kept getting fatter and fatter?

Dr. Chandon’s answer, derived from laboratory experiments as well as field work at Subway and McDonald’s restaurants, is that Americans have been seduced into overeating by the so-called health halo associated with certain foods and restaurants. His research made me wonder if New Yorkers were particularly vulnerable to this problem, and I asked him to help me investigate.

Our collaboration began in a nutritionally correct neighborhood, Brooklyn’s Park Slope, whose celebrated food co-op has a mission statement to sell “organic, minimally processed and healthful foods.” I hit the streets with two questionnaires designed by Dr. Chandon, a professor of marketing at the Insead business school in Fontainebleau, France, and Alexander Chernev, a professor of marketing at Northwestern University. Half of the 40 people surveyed were shown pictures of a meal consisting of an Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad and a 20-ounce cup of regular Pepsi. (You can see it for yourself at TierneyLab.) On average, they estimated that the meal contained 1,011 calories, which was a little high. The meal actually contained 934 calories — 714 from the salad and 220 from the drink.

The other half of the Park Slopers were shown the same salad and drink plus two Fortt’s crackers prominently labeled “Trans Fat Free.” The crackers added 100 calories to the meal, bringing it to 1,034 calories, but their presence skewed people’s estimates in the opposite direction. The average estimate for the whole meal was only 835 calories — 199 calories less than the actual calorie count, and 176 calories less than the average estimate by the other group for the same meal without crackers.

Just as Dr. Chandon had predicted, the trans-fat-free label on the crackers seemed to imbue them with a health halo that magically subtracted calories from the rest of the meal. And we got an idea of the source of this halo after I tried the same experiment with tourists in Times Square.

These tourists, many of them foreigners (they kept apologizing for not knowing what Applebee’s was), correctly estimated that the meal with crackers had more calories than the meal without crackers. They didn’t see the crackers’ health halo, Dr. Chandon said, presumably because they hadn’t been exposed to the public debate that accompanied New York City’s decision last year to ban trans fat from restaurants.

“It makes sense that New Yorkers would be more biased because of all the fuss in the city about trans fat,” Dr. Chandon told me. “It hasn’t been a big issue in most other places. Here in Europe there’s been virtually no discussion of banning trans fats.”

So might New York’s pioneering ban on trans fats have done more harm than good? Did it encourage people to eat more calories (and other fats that some scientists argue are no less harmful)? Did people start eating French fries — hey, they’re trans-fat free now! — and reward themselves with dessert? I can’t pretend to know the answers after our little experiment, which hardly constitutes peer-reviewed research. But the results were statistically significant and certainly jibe with other findings by Dr. Chandon and his frequent collaborator, Brian Wansink, the director of the Cornell Food and Brand Lab.

They’ve found that all of us, even professional dieticians, make systematic mistakes when estimating how many calories are on a plate. Experiments showed that putting a “low fat” label on food caused everyone, especially overweight people, to underestimate its calories, to eat bigger helpings and to indulge in other foods.

The researchers found that customers at McDonald’s were more accurate at estimating the calories in their meal than were customers at Subway, apparently because of the health halo created by advertisements like one showing that a Subway sandwich had a third the fat of a Big Mac. The health halo from Subway also affected what else people chose to eat, Dr. Chandon and Dr. Wansink reported last year after giving people a chance to order either a Big Mac or a 12-inch Italian sandwich from Subway. Even though the Subway sandwich had more calories than the Big Mac, the people ordering it were more likely to add a large nondiet soda and cookies to the order. So while they may have felt virtuous, they ended up with meals averaging 56 percent more calories than the meals ordered from McDonald’s.

“People who eat at McDonald’s know their sins,” Dr. Chandon said, “but people at Subway think that a 1,000-calorie sandwich has only 500 calories.” His advice is not for people to avoid Subway or low-fat snacks, but to take health halos into account.

“People need to look up calorie information, and this information needs to be clearly available on the menu or on the front of packages,” Dr. Chandon said. “If no information is available, people should say to themselves: ‘This restaurant or this brand claims to be healthy in general. Let’s see if I can come up with two reasons why this claim would not apply to this particular food.’ When we asked people to follow this ‘consider the opposite’ strategy, it completely eliminated health halos.”

More generally, Dr. Chandon advises American consumers, food companies and public officials to spend less time obsessing about “good” versus “bad” food.

“Being French, I don’t have any problem with people enjoying lots of foods,” he said. “Europeans obsess less about nutrition but know what a reasonable portion size is and when they have had too much food, so they’re not as biased by food and diet fads and are healthier. Too many Americans believe that to lose weight, what you eat matters more than how much you eat. It’s the country where people are the best informed about food and enjoy it the least.”
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes