Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Not going to a simcha....

catonmylap

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:36 am
Tell me if we are reasonable or mean...

We were invited to a bris tomorrow (actually dh got the invite a few days ago and didn't mention it to me). We were invited by the great-grandmother who is dh's former neighbor. We will most likely not know anyone there. It is on the other side of town and I'd be shocked if it wasn't separate seating. It is at 9am, so it will kill most of our morning. She wants us to bring our ds along too (he is normally in gan at 9am)...

It is reasonable that we don't want to go?

If it had been close by, okay...
if it is mixed seating....maybe...
but all these factors together, it just seems ludicrous. I don't know these people. We shouldn't have to mess up our whole day because of it....

In the unlikely event that the mom is an imamother, speak up now....because you'd give me a reason to go!

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:51 am
It's an opportunity to have a seudas mitzva.I think its sad that you phrase it as "messing up" your day.
Go if you want, or not. But please view it as the seudas mitzva that it is, not an inane social obligation.

RichWithNachas

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:54 am
reason yes to go if you can; Besides all the delicious food, what a wonderfol opportunity to be with Eliyahu Hanavi who because of him all of oursins are forgiven and we start a clean slate after that!
of course with your choice , if possible. MAZALTOV!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:18 am
was this an actual invitation? The reason we don't "invite" to a bris, but only "inform" about the time and place, is because you must go if you are invited.

ss321

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:20 am
I understand, if you dont know the person, why bother. OTOH it is a mitzvah. But speak to DH about this one is he anxious to go? if he doesnt want to, you shoudlnt either
and bringing your son-I agree is a little much. Drop him off at gan. more important to not mess up his schedule, then to bring him to the bris of someone you dont know so the peoples great grandmother can see your son...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette